Ok first off i'm not sure whether this should go here or in the bandleading section, feel free to tell me if it should be elsewhere.
Ok recently i have met a drummer who loves the same sort of music as me as in blues rock classic rock etc. So had a couple of jams with him and he's incredible. But we just can't seem to get in time with each other. And i think it's down to me. I am really bad at keeping in time on any song which isn't straight on the beat. As in say i'd be fine playing something that was consistently on the beat, but i'm just really struggling to pick out the start of the bar/ the beat due to his drumming style, being slightly more advanced than your standard, 1 2 3 4 etc. Another problem is at the moment we don't have a bassist, so i don't think that helps things. Any advice, or is it just a case of sitting down with a metronome and practice, practice, practice?
The drummer shouldn't make such a difference. The beat is still constant, no matter what fills he's playing. Just get a feel for the beat before you start playing (ie "ONE TWO THREE FOUR!") and keep tapping your foot.
I would try to analyze his drumming slightly. No matter how advanced it gets, it still boils down to the usually 1 2 3 4, or whatever.
yeah, if you struggle to keep time then you are in definite need of a metronome. Learn to walk before you try and run.... As cowboyup said, tap your foot to keep the timing when you are playing.
listen to the album Lateralus by Tool, try to follow the beat in your head, then you'll get used to playing along to unusual time signatures.
maybe you've been playing too much lead and not enough rhythm guitar. You cant concentrate too much on one and not do the other.
youll get used to his style eventually, and play songs till you have them down good so you dont have to think bout what you're playin...itll come more natural at that point. Really just practice on your own with a metrenome so your internal timing is perfect. I had this same problem with my new drummer, but I got the hang of it after a few times
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I would think that a lot of the time if he's doing crazy or oddly timed fills it would fool you into thinking he's doing something else that would require you to follow him. Try to internalize a pulse.
why don't you guys play to a click track/metronome? it might annoy the drummer a little but it would probably help you count
I met an amaing drummer that dose crazy stuff on the drums.
Like stumpy say just follow him or listen for the base drum or pulse.
It's steady..but i got fooled into thinking it's not.
After a while I got used to playing right through his crazy fills.
Quote by JimmyStradlin33
Ok first off i'm not sure whether this should go here or in the bandleading section, feel free to tell me if it should be elsewhere.
Ok recently i have met a drummer who loves the same sort of music as me as in blues rock classic rock etc. So had a couple of jams with him and he's incredible. But we just can't seem to get in time with each other. And i think it's down to me. I am really bad at keeping in time on any song which isn't straight on the beat. As in say i'd be fine playing something that was consistently on the beat, but i'm just really struggling to pick out the start of the bar/ the beat due to his drumming style, being slightly more advanced than your standard, 1 2 3 4 etc. Another problem is at the moment we don't have a bassist, so i don't think that helps things. Any advice, or is it just a case of sitting down with a metronome and practice, practice, practice?

yeah you answered your own question mate