I m getting a new amp and making my 3 channel dual recto my back up. What I want is either a pre-500 dual recto or a triple recto (two or three channel). But I want to know the difference in the pre-500 rectos. I know they have different transformers from the mark series, but I'm talking about tone differences. Is the clean better? Or does the distortion have a tighter low end. And I want to know if these things are worth the extra cash, since you have to buy one to try one. I don't mind paying the extra grand for it I just want to know if it’s worth it?
Gear:
Paul Reed Smith Standard 24
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
77 Les Paul Deluxe
Mesa Dual Rect (eurotube personal fav tubes)
Randall 4X12 (v30's & G12T-75’s)
The clean is much worse...that I can guarentee you

As for the overdrive, it is apparently much better....I have not yet had the chance to play one of the earlier rectos, but it is apparently supposed to be much more of a "Solo Head"...with a much better and clearer response.

Personally, I think owning two rectifiers for diversitiy is a bit stupid. I'd personally look into a Mark IV.....AMAZING versatility with one of those bad boys and a recto
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
The clean is much worse...that I can guarentee you

As for the overdrive, it is apparently much better....I have not yet had the chance to play one of the earlier rectos, but it is apparently supposed to be much more of a "Solo Head"...with a much better and clearer response.

Personally, I think owning two rectifiers for diversitiy is a bit stupid. I'd personally look into a Mark IV.....AMAZING versatility with one of those bad boys and a recto

Im not looking for diversitiy. I have the tone I want now. I run the clean for clean. Channel 3 for dirty and boost it for really dirty. I'm not trying to differ from that. I just don't trust anything with tubes with out a back up. You never know when those things are going to go stupid.
Gear:
Paul Reed Smith Standard 24
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
77 Les Paul Deluxe
Mesa Dual Rect (eurotube personal fav tubes)
Randall 4X12 (v30's & G12T-75’s)