Can someone help me get the sound that Dave has when he start's singing, the crazy distortion?
I know some people don't like it, but I do :p

I have a Peavy Valveking 100 half stack, ESP F-400 85/81 active EMG's, and the metal muff pedal

still a newb to tone and whatnot but I really want to play Washington is next and make it sound like they did.
Do you mean, the lead part or the rhythm, and at what time?
0:38 ?
It's just Line 6 distortion, you might want to try a Uber Metal Pedal, what ever you do, stay away from their amps, you'll end up losing money.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
dude...i love dat song...my setup is a dean angel of deth-dave mustaine signature guitar...boss gt-8 and a laney LC mk2 tube amp...dat is no effect really...its just plain heavy distortion...select d bridge humbucker n lower ur tone to about 3 or 4...with palm mutes...
Quote by shasank89
dude...i love dat song...my setup is a dean angel of deth-dave mustaine signature guitar...boss gt-8 and a laney LC mk2 tube amp...dat is no effect really...its just plain heavy distortion...select d bridge humbucker n lower ur tone to about 3 or 4...with palm mutes...

True, on the part that it is just plain heavy distortion ;but, Like a Marshall and a Fender both have a distinctive tone, Line 6 does too, it's just horrible distortion with a built in delay you can't turn off... A line 6 will never sound like a marshall like a Marshall will never sound like a Fender. I'd say bring your head to a local guitar shop that sells line 6 and give the pedal a try. See if you can anywheres near. if not, stick with what you have, it's not cool to steal someone else's hard earned tone. You can use them as a guide line but you'll be way happier with your own distinctive tone someday.
Quote by Kazue00
Can someone help me get the sound that Dave has when he start's singing, the crazy distortion?
I know some people don't like it, but I do :p

I have a Peavy Valveking 100 half stack, ESP F-400 85/81 active EMG's, and the metal muff pedal

still a newb to tone and whatnot but I really want to play Washington is next and make it sound like they did.

orrrrrr
find your own tone
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
^ not really helping guys, he's not really looking for new gear, just an idea of how to get the tone.

Dave's rhythm tone is full of presence, very punchy, with no real tone. That in mind, Id say keep your mids LOW, NOT CUT TOTALLY and boost your treble till you get that kinda sharp rhythm sound he gets. Take off any echoes or reverb you have on to get his extreme tight chunky rhythm sound, make sure its pretty bassy and you should be good to go.

> Turn your amps EQ to everything being directly at 5 (Treble bass and mids), see if you can get the chunky tone from the Muff then fine tune from your amp =]
Quote by PabloGilberto
^ not really helping guys, he's not really looking for new gear, just an idea of how to get the tone.

Dave's rhythm tone is full of presence, very punchy, with no real tone. That in mind, Id say keep your mids LOW, NOT CUT TOTALLY and boost your treble till you get that kinda sharp rhythm sound he gets. Take off any echoes or reverb you have on to get his extreme tight chunky rhythm sound, make sure its pretty bassy and you should be good to go.

> Turn your amps EQ to everything being directly at 5 (Treble bass and mids), see if you can get the chunky tone from the Muff then fine tune from your amp =]

I can't really help him since I just plug in and play. I let the amp and pups to their thing and boost pedals in the middle for gain.
Quote by PabloGilberto

Listen to this guy.

Not a lot of low or mid. More low then mid though. Lots high and presence. Really high output pickups.

His tone is sort of his playing style, the palm mutes and the downstroking.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by chimpinatux
orrrrrr
find your own tone

Never said I was trying to take his tone or anything? I just wanted to know how he did it...
I like "I know Jack" altho it is not from last album :P
Lazer LG-180A
Dean Razorback V 255 @ 18v MOD
Bugera 6262-212
ATH-M50
Vox amPlug Metal
Boss TU-80
Boss ML-2
RZBK V 255 build <5%, ideas>
OFFICIAL "DEAN PLAYERS UNITE" PLAYER #2
BUGERA USERS MILITIA...One of the first owners...