Can anyone offer any advice on this? I'm writing one for my band as part of a kit for booking at bigger venues.

The problem is, it's sounding really corporate and soulless - how 'professional' does the language have to be? Are there samples out there from press releases from established alternative bands? Also, is there a checklist of info I need to put in?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
you can make the kit any way you want, as long as it contains the needed information (biography, discography, description of the music and of the performances, booking info, links to websites etc.)
the use of this kit is to make venues enthousiastic about your show, so you can figure something very strict, corporate and soulless isn't going to help as much as a set of dynamic pictures, and stuff like a nice story about your band
the only thing is you also want to include some synoptic overviews of for example the members in the band, just to keep it looking organised..

you can find suggestions of 'obligated' info everywhere, and you can always take an example of an existing band's presskit..

oh one more thing, the kit doesn't have to be huge
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
man, describing your own band on paper is just horribly painful. so i sympathise with you. can't offer much help though.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
in that case yo ucan always ask someone to review your music, and your gigs, and use that, also, stating the source and/or the complete review can be very helpfull
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Dose your band have a manager yet? (if your starting to play bigger venues I'm guessing you probably do).
I'd have them write it if you have one.
I'm bad at that kind of stuff as well
"really cool music that only a couple of people in your club will like, but the band will at least stick around and drink themselves silly until 5 minutes past closing time".

Wait, better revise that...
Quote by Dan Rickshaw
"really cool music that only a couple of people in your club will like, but the band will at least stick around and drink themselves silly until 5 minutes past closing time".

Wait, better revise that...

Think I may have to steal that one!
There's a great article in this month's Total Guitar where they gave a band a 'makeover', and it included some useful information about press releases.

TG's News Editor said: "To get a journalist, record company or a promoter's attention, the press release should be witty, punchy and sell the band. We emphasised [the band]'s impressive live gig record, their tight musicianship, but - above all - we emphasised the catchy riffs. It's best to present the basic facts in a clear and concise way; your average journalist will only spend about 30 seconds sizing up a new band."
Quote by Dan Rickshaw
Can anyone offer any advice on this? I'm writing one for my band as part of a kit for booking at bigger venues.

The problem is, it's sounding really corporate and soulless - how 'professional' does the language have to be? Are there samples out there from press releases from established alternative bands? Also, is there a checklist of info I need to put in?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Any chance of seeing what you've got so far? It'd be easier for us to give advice of what else you need or even what you may need to lose from it.