Hey guys,
For the past 6 months, I really haven't been progressing a lot in guitar playing. Seems like im losing interest (though i'm not). I only pickup the guitar and play the same songs over and over again, the same songs i used to play 6 months ago (Master of puppets, Creeping Death etc.) Before that, i used to play guitar at least 3 hours a day. So I really dont know where to start over now, the only band i listen to at the moment is Metallica and In Flames.

So i just want to know, what should I do about this, what bands should I listen to, what should I learn (I started playing 2 years ago, so the hardest solo I could do is propably...Master Of Puppets?)

Your help would be much appreciated,
learn some killswitch engage.

it'll take a few times listening to them to like them, but believe me, you'll LOVE playing their ****. i usually improvise all my original material off of their riffs.

EDIT: oh yeah, they play in drop C, it's like drop D but a full step down if you don't know.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by saphrax
Lamb of God. It's tricky, it's heavy, and it's in drop D!

hell yeah =]
learn children of bodom. then you'll be my god if you can nail 'em xD
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

at least your listening to the best music out of all the band names thats been suggested... congrats on your intelligence...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by joshua029
at least your listening to the best music out of all the band names thats been suggested... congrats on your intelligence...

eh...
If you feel this way only about guitar, do what these guys say. ^^^

If other things in your life have started to go pear shaped, you're getting depressed. Just an ''in case''.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
All these people are fools. There's only one option: give up the guitar, take up the accordion. Rock!
Quote by samtberg
All these people are fools. There's only one option: give up the guitar, take up the accordion. Rock!

DUDE! i'm actually learning accordian right now! my dad really effin good at it and he's teaching me.
ive had the same problem, but thats because of college related stuff

maybe u should start listening to more solo artist stuff like the guys from g3
I see no sign of fortress.
Quote by Darkshade666
Please do not suggest Metalcore i'd rather listen to Paris Hilton =P

Well if you're gonna be like that than "F*ck you". The world doesn't need another ignorant guitarist. Even the greatest guitar players don't stick with one style.
1. I quit my band due to this, the band started as a Thrash, Heavy Metal band, and now every single person in it has become emo (please do not change the subject). Its the main reason why me and the bassist left o0.

2. I like CoB a lot, but everytime i open one of their tabs, I just dont make the effort, I just say "**** it, too hard, next song" till I eventually give up, so..Meh.
playing guitar is like traveling through the mountains.

at points in your learning you will be on top of the mountain and learning everything great and progressing real fast.

all of a sudden, you're down in the valley, not really learning much, and still having that skill you had months ago.

but just as fast as you think about giving it up, you're climbing another mountain, and learning more stuff and just feeling great about it.

the toughest part about guitar is sticking through during that time when you're in the valley. sometimes it's for a few days, sometimes for several months. but the secret is to stay disciplined and you'll do fine.

ugh...guitar philosophy
Quote by metaldud536
Well if you're gonna be like that than "F*ck you". The world doesn't need another ignorant guitarist. Even the greatest guitar players don't stick with one style.

Dude, I was just pointing out that I do not enjoy listening to Metalcore, Im not judging anyone or anything, so... be nice.
Quote by Darkshade666
Dude, I was just pointing out that I do not enjoy listening to Metalcore, Im not judging anyone or anything, so... be nice.

Oh yea, comparing it to paris hilton, an obviously mediocre and generic pop singer.

But seriously, get a metronome and start learning how to speed pick all kinds of riffs.
Quote by metaldud536
Oh yea, comparing it to paris hilton, an obviously mediocre and generic pop singer.

But seriously, get a metronome and start learning how to speed pick all kinds of riffs.

Sarcasm ftw ?

Anyways, Im gonna start learning Bed of razors soon so yay for me.
it happens to most everyone

just youtube your favorite bands or guitarist

I suggest MattRach and John Frusciante

join other forums and ask for tabs of your favorite artists

try new styles or new effects

you mainly listen to metal, I'm assuming?

well listen to some classical, and then branch to neo-classical metal

maybe some jazz, or some psychedelic experimental, something country

Mars Volta, Brian Eno, Bjork, Kraftwerk, Can, Mew, Say Anything, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Muse, Incubus, Nick Drake, Elliot Smith, Captain Beefheart, David Bowie, Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Wenn, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Dredg, Gwen Stefani, Dr. Dre, Wu Tang Clan,

try different tunings, pick up a slide

youtube some stuff
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Last edited by TDKshorty at May 2, 2008,
Quote by Darkshade666
Please do not suggest Metalcore i'd rather listen to Paris Hilton =P

COB is death metal.

Try branching out to different genres. Play some good old fashioned rock and roll or blues or something. Or you could try some more Alternative stuff like the Foo Fighters.

Or you could learn Jazz.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)