I am an intermediate guitar player. I understand a little theory, I have some of the fretboard memorized, I know a plethora of chords that I can play fairly efficiently.

I am at a hump, more platau. I want to get more into lead and improv. I want to dive a little further into theory.

My question is what is a must have book or dvd? If you could recommend just one book and one dvd what would it be? Were any of you in my place and a book or dvd gave you that "breakthrough" "oh sh*t" moment?

I have taken lessons with a few professors and honestly they all gave me something but I felt that there was a lot of wasted time. My finances don't allow me to keep "trying out" new teachers. Therefore I am turning to books and dvds.

I have tried the Rock House Method Rock Guitar DVD (Intermediate) but there was nothing new to me there. For Example he shows the box patterns of the A min pentatonic....then shreds over a jam track without explaining anything!!!!!!!!!!
I know the box patterns!!!! You can find that on google!!!! I want to know more about the "why" of it's use!

Anyway I will look forward to your responses. Thanks.
E preciso amar as pessoas como se nao houvesse amanha- Renato Russo
These are three I hear about a lot, I just got Speed Mechs. yesterday and its great, its more of a technique book though.

John Petrucci's Rock Dicipline (DVD)
Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar (Book/CD)
Shred Guitar (Book/CD)
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Great.

Any more suggestions?
Quote by Jay Gatsby
I am an intermediate guitar player. I understand a little theory, I have some of the fretboard memorized, I know a plethora of chords that I can play fairly efficiently.

I am at a hump, more platau. I want to get more into lead and improv. I want to dive a little further into theory.

My question is what is a must have book or dvd? If you could recommend just one book and one dvd what would it be? Were any of you in my place and a book or dvd gave you that "breakthrough" "oh sh*t" moment?

I have taken lessons with a few professors and honestly they all gave me something but I felt that there was a lot of wasted time. My finances don't allow me to keep "trying out" new teachers. Therefore I am turning to books and dvds.

I have tried the Rock House Method Rock Guitar DVD (Intermediate) but there was nothing new to me there. For Example he shows the box patterns of the A min pentatonic....then shreds over a jam track without explaining anything!!!!!!!!!!
I know the box patterns!!!! You can find that on google!!!! I want to know more about the "why" of it's use!

Anyway I will look forward to your responses. Thanks.

PlaneTalk. Trust me.
So, barely anybody here used books or DVDs to learn?