I brought my Marshall MG100DFX into a shop last week to get it repaired, the guy called me a couple minutes ago and told me it was gonna be $117 plus tax for two hours labor. The fan was buzzing as is a problem with most MG amps, he told me he took it out and cleaned/lubricated the fan and the footswitch jack was also broken so he replaced that. Is what he's charging me a little steep? This is in $CDN by the way.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
unfortunatley amp repair is expensive, that does sound like it's in the right ballpark
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
To be honest, I think it's your own fault for not asking for a quote before you asked for it to be fixed. And it's obviously steep.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Well see I did ask beforehand, he told me it was $56 per hour of labor (which was what it was going to take) and a new fan was gonna cost around $20, so we were lookin at around $90 tax in.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Where did you take it? Get him to reverse what he did, and leave it.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by colin617
Ouch. You should hold him to the price he quoted to you.

+1, although there's probably not much you can do.

How old are you? I only ask because if you're a minor, you might want to get your parents involved. The guy might be less inclined to try to take advantage of an adult.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
which part of the world are u in ? i'm sure theres some "taking advantage of a minor" law regrading shopkeppers
yeah i had something similar happen to me. i brought my guitar in to have emg's installed, and the guy performs a setup i didn't ask for, some additional body work, etc. and tried to charge me close to $200. ridiculous. his reasoning was that he couldn't let any instrument return to the owner unless it's in the best condition he can make it. i paralleled it to me ordering a garden salad at a restaurant, but getting a lobster salad with black truffle shavings on top, and being charged for the high end salad. yeah, that lobster salad is indeed better, but i didn't ask for it.

i'm in america, and there are certain organizations that are meant to prevent things like this from happening, so once i threatened him with that, he dropped the additional charges.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
maybe you should have done some reasearch before you bought the amp in the first place! all too common problem...
2 pack of audio stereo Jacks: $8 (going by Canadian prices being a bit more than US). WD40: $10. Labor: an hour at most. Getting ripped off by an amp tech because you didn't ask for an estimate or have him call you before fixing it? Priceless.

That said, if the jack was PCB mounted, I can see why he would of charged more, plus if he had to pull the fan apart to clean it. $116 may be a little steep, but is not too far off including labor. Remember, most of the time when you pay someone to do something, you're paying for the labor and time to do it. The parts may only be $20, but pulling an amp apart is time consuming.

And Def, he is in Canada, and no there is not. You make it sound like he is trying to rape the poor kid (which he is doing, albeit monetarily.)