Page 1 of 2
Just wondering how many IB students we have here, I'm in grade 10 going on 11, 11 I'll be in IB.

And what do you think of it?
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

I'm not in it myself, but I have some friends that are and they say it's pretty damn tough. I have others that say it's easy so I guess it all depends on how well you can handle it.
Good luck with it though.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I'm also in 10th grade and going to IB next year, I know it will probably rape me but universities love it.
Finished last year, in law school now; just get used to the idea that life is just traveling one hell to the next (just kidding, I love uni, it rapes highschool).

Make an IB student group.
im on IB... and im presenting the math test next week... its damm tough!

but worth it... its waaay more advanced than school so youll be a step ahead of the rest in college
Quote by MiG_853
Finished last year, in law school now; just get used to the idea that life is just traveling one hell to the next (just kidding, I love uni, it rapes highschool).

Make an IB student group.

Let me guess, ST. Dominics, St. Julians or CAISL.
Quote by add45
I'm not in it myself, but I have some friends that are and they say it's pretty damn tough. I have others that say it's easy so I guess it all depends on how well you can handle it.
Good luck with it though.

Thanks

And yeah I'm planning on studying every single day for at least 2 hours no matter wat subject. Saturdays off of course

But it's not like I got much of a choice. I'm in sweden, don't speak swedish, and IB is the only thing english. So I'm stuck, but I'm scared about my band. What if we have a show to play but I'm busy studying? I guess it's all about planning..
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is IB?
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Im Ib in the US
Quote by C O B H C
I do believe so. I think heard it on TV once upon a time.

Edit: Wait, what the fuck was I watching on TV that had to do with ass hair?

Quote by sum_ugly_man

ndogg, is actually a kitty

Quote by jeff541
thanks ndogg.

/thread.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
I applaud thee.
Yeah, I'm in grade 11. I go to the VIS in Austria.

I've got my exams for predicted grades coming up but I really can't be arsed to study. I'm taking Physics, Chem and Math at HL and Philosophy, English and German at SL. Math sucks, Chem and Philosophy are a joke, the rest are so so.
I'm in year 11 (UK) and chose the IB for my 6th form. Not sure if that was a good decision or not now...
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
I'm an old IB student.

Easiest years of my life. Three years of slacking and ended up with 36pts out of 45 which is 16/20, in France that gets your the highest recomendation.

Tough my ass. If you know how the system works and you pick classes you're a little interested in, it's dead easy. Heck I barely spoke English when I started too!
My high school is just starting it next year, I`m going in, but mainly because my parents heard about it. I kind of don`t want to do it, because I want to take classes I`m interested in, not the same boring subjects. I don`t really have a choice though. If I do well, I can get into lots of universities, but it still pisses me off a bit.
Quote by Adrock1795
When you take a crap do you clean your ass siting down or standing?
Quote by Garret.
upside down
Quote by x_thurston_x
You're working for the government aren't you?
Quote by SkyValley
I don't have an ass.

gonna do IB in Sevenoaks School next year... hopefully. Oh yeah anyone here in sevenoaks cos at the moment it souinds to me like a stuck up private school :S. And Hell i dont want to leave my current school. I've just got a good gf ffs
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Quote by Portuguese_boy
Let me guess, ST. Dominics, St. Julians or CAISL.

Doms
Anyone currently in IB or has graduated know how difficult it is? To the guy who said it was really easy, is it the same in all regions? Like do they teach all the same things to one curriculum? I think they should considering it's all one program..

Cause I've heard im in to lose my life to IB. Nothing but studying. But hey whatever gets me in universities. I'm good at studying it's just sometimes I can't be arsed to, but most of the time if im under pressure I do good.
Quote by buddha

I think the guy who said it's easy is the sort of douche that takes classes like D,T Business, spanish ab initio, math studies etc...

It's hard, but you don't have to lose your life, if you're smart you can get by fine, but it really was designed as advanced learning originally.
IB is the most pretentious program I've ever seen. It should burn in hell.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I was doing full IB but I dropped some stuff so im currently in English HL, History HL and Spanish. I guess its got its good sides and bad from my experience

pros:
-helps with university (especially outside North America)
-more interesting than normal classes
-usually better teachers
-people in your classes care about education
-you feel smart
-not necessarily harder than normal classes just way faster paced

cons:
-tons more work
-your grade can be lower than what your would have gotten in a normal class (a low IB mark looks worse than a high normal mark)
-IB students can be grade *****s who do nothing but work
-when you put a bunch of smart kids into an IB class it still divides into dumb and smart like normal classes
-there is plenty of time to do work later in life, sometimes its good to have fun in high school.
i'm in IB also. i'm in 11th grade at bsge in astoria queens. its a ****ing bitch, i think i'm just gonna get out of doing the extended essay, it's too rough. right now i'm doing the iop which snuck up on me. i was absent when it was assigned and my teacher made me do it for tomorrow when everyone else has theirs due in june.
Quote by yam
Im in IB, 12th grade. So I have exams on monday.

Same here man. Just had my first exam today...(I'm in China). Wednesday - Friday will be hell... maths and chemistry Good luck to everybody else here.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Quote by MiG_853
I think the guy who said it's easy is the sort of douche that takes classes like D,T Business, spanish ab initio, math studies etc...

It's hard, but you don't have to lose your life, if you're smart you can get by fine, but it really was designed as advanced learning originally.

Maths methods
History higher
French A Higher
English B Higher (had no choice: 7/7 exam, 30/30 oral)
Geography standard (Couldn't take an art so I needed another random one)
Physics standard

Call me a douche all you want. Very nice by the way these kinds of comments, very mature I arrived in 10th grade not speaking a word of English, so I was pretty limited with my choices. I'd have taken English A had I arrived a year earlier. Classes I got my worst grades were the standard classes, got 6s in all my highers but English.

Just pick stuff that interests you for your extended essay and your internal assessment. I did something way geeky for my history IA ('Was the MX missile programe justified by the Reagan administration?') and it makes it all way easier.
Last edited by Pott at May 5, 2008,
I opted out of IB, which I could have made quite easily. It's just a little too brutal of a workload for mere high school, y'know? In the end you're still only graduating from grade 12, with a few extra recognitions. That being said, I'd rather have a GPA of 4.00 in regular classes than be averaging 75% in all IB classes. What university will prefer you then?
For English speaking people it may not be as worth it, true.

For us foreigners though who don't speak it, it's a hell of an opportunity. Ironically the French unis/grandes ecoles don't recognize the IB but I had no intentions of going to France so well...

My uni, Heriot Watt, asks for a 14/20 grade in French high schools which is HARD as hell to get. In France you can't get 100%s. It just doesn't exist. Teachers don't give it.
HW asked me for 29IB points... which is way lower than 14/20.
So it's easier to get into many unis with an IB than with a French baccalaureate for instance.
Quote by Pott
Maths methods
History higher
French A Higher
English B Higher (had no choice: 7/7 exam, 30/30 oral)
Geography standard (Couldn't take an art so I needed another random one)
Physics standard

Call me a douche all you want. Very nice by the way these kinds of comments, very mature I arrived in 10th grade not speaking a word of English, so I was pretty limited with my choices. I'd have taken English A had I arrived a year earlier. Classes I got my worst grades were the standard classes, got 6s in all my highers but English.

Just pick stuff that interests you for your extended essay and your internal assessment. I did something way geeky for my history IA ('Was the MX missile programe justified by the Reagan administration?') and it makes it all way easier.

You gotta agree though that calling it easy mode isn't really justified. My guess is that in another program, with the same/similar subjects, you would've still passed quite well... and then again there are people which struggle quite a bit with it. (And I didn't even know you could take History and Geography at the same time).
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

Thing is I'm a doer, not much of a learner. The French program is all learning by heart. I'd have done crap in it.

And I don't know... IB WAS easy for me. It was in Amsterdam so we had fun 'extra curricular activities' for Fridays and Saturday nights... Fun times. But I honestly remember high school as three years of slacking and fun. If you pick subjects that interest you and get lucky enough with the teachers you'll be fine. Maybe I got lucky, maybe not, but I did find it fairly easy. I hadn't heard many people say it was way hard either until today :s

If you don't take an art you can take an extra class I believe... would have taken Spanish higher but I can't recall if you could actually take another language or if it was a scheduling class... ah well...

What I like about IB is that the final grades are decided upon everybody's work... ie they mark all exams, then decide on the boundaries between 1,2,3 etc... which is why I think I did so good in French, I thought I did completely crap :s
Yeh I also like the whole grade boundary thing ^^ Might save my life in the end. But I was just a little surprised, as nowadays most people seem to agree on the difficulty of the IB course (but of course, there are always people that do well, but that's usually the result of months of studying for the exams).

I can't say I feel perfectly ready for Physics, Chemistry or Maths -.- The rest is indeed somewhat easy-mode. And still nobody understands why they had to put HL Chemistry and Maths on the same days! Madness!
- Scott Adams

Ouch :s

I remember for history higher we had three seperate exams. That blew...One was the same day as my French higher too. I think it's a basic IB rule that exams are always placed at the worst possible time

Madness..?? This... Is... IB!
I don't mean to insult everyone who did/ does IB but honestly, whats that point?
I didn't do IB in college and I had to study a little but i was still able to go out every week and do other stuff. And then there were guys who did it and had no social life and studied all the time and now we're in uni doing the exact same courses. So whats the point in doing all that extra work if we're both going to end up with the same degrees?
Again... if you're not native English speakers it's great.

I didn't have a choice in doing IB. I moved to the Netherlands speaking neither Dutch nor English. Why the hell would I have gone to a Dutch school? The IB is recognized worldwide, would have taught me English... it's a great experience being around this many different cultures.

If it doesn't interest you though eh, do what you want. But it's something different and well fun. At least it eas for me.

I was able to go out every week, learn drums, have two bands, have free times during the days, pretty much every weekend was free too. And I still did all the work. Either some of your teachers are way hard, either they give more work now than they did 4 years ago.
Quote by ferretman
I don't mean to insult everyone who did/ does IB but honestly, whats that point?
I didn't do IB in college and I had to study a little but i was still able to go out every week and do other stuff. And then there were guys who did it and had no social life and studied all the time and now we're in uni doing the exact same courses. So whats the point in doing all that extra work if we're both going to end up with the same degrees?

Agree with Pott here. It's really good for non-english speaking students etc. And I didn't have a choice either. I moved from Germany to China, attending an International IB school. My english has improved much ever since I came here (been doing doing English A for 3 years) and this opens new doors for me (e.g. universities in England etc).

And I do have to say that I had more than enough free time here, so I'm not gonna complain about that. I guess it's fair to say that in any program, there are going to be times where you have to study a lot (such as right now... on a quick break from studying -.-)
- Scott Adams

Quote by Xiaoxi
IB is the most pretentious program I've ever seen. It should burn in hell.

Amen.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought

Amen.

Say about it whatever you want, but I will be done with school in 3 weeks and on my way to a few months of freedom
- Scott Adams

Page 1 of 2