Page 1 of 3
While posing a slightly better name than my other thread's title group, what do you guys think of this latest band?

It's hard to compare them to any other artist or band I can think of so therefore they are very unique in my opinion but nevertheless, definitely a group one should check out before passing judgement.

Thoughts, opinions?
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Quote by uhh_me?
half of the stuff is great. the other half is irritating.

Agreed. I've only heard the songs on myspace but from what I've heard some is terrific and fun and original and half is like "wow, this is annoying".
I can't say I'm a fan, they generally irritate me.
The indie ethos is starting to get on my tits abit.
I think they're quite ace

Haven't heard their album yet, but from what I've heard its good, so yeah
Didn't ever get stuck into their first album but saw a new video the other night and quite enjoyed it, not going to buy the album this time though.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
ive downloaded most of their stuff now, i really enjoy it to the point where im gonna buy the albums.
i hear they copped most of their riffs though

i absolutely love Crimewave and Untrust us
i imagine they would be quite good live and that suspicion has now been confirmed.
Quote by uhh_me?

+1
downloaded it because it might be on Lowlands
I dont think i'm gonna attend their show
Yeah, I think they'd be a good band live or for when you're plastered, but listening to the album pretty much every song sounds the same.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by uhh_me?
i imagine they would be quite good live and that suspicion has now been confirmed.

I didn't like them live at all. I found it really boring with the serious lack of dynamics you'd expect at a live concert.

Crimewave is pretty good though.
Quote by uhh_me?

Yeah, they're extremely hit and miss.

They're good live though.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I love these guys soooo much!!!!!!

They're ****ing awesome!

Love Alice Practice, Love and Caring, Courtship Dating and pretty much all of their songs!

They fill up my need for electronic, industrial and noise!!! Just what i currently need...

Gonna see them live on the 1st of Oct.
Can't wait!!!!
They remind me of HEARTSREVOLUTION, but different.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
They've really grown on me, I like most of the album now. It takes a while to get into it, but once you do, it's great.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by *Truly Ninja*
they're plagiarists and assholes

They're not plagiarists.
Where did you get that from???
They sample sounds from video games. Tons of bands do that!
Cliffs notes version of the story: They stole that picture of a battered madonna that they used on early singles and t-shirts from a flier, saying they figured the artist would step forward once he/she caught wind of its use. Well, the artist has stepped forward, and their response has basically amounted to "fuck you."

Also, many many people in the chiptune genre have made very convincing arguments that they stole beats and sampled older chiptune songs without consent. In a genre as incestuous and internet-based as chiptune is, that's not necessarily an awful thing to do, but all along their career they have attempted to distance themselves from the existing chiptune music community, saying that they had no idea the genre existed when they began experimenting with 8-bit sounds. So that makes them pretty hypocritical assholes.

I liked them at first when just like air war and alice practice were out on their myspace, but after this series of serious asshole moves on their part, I won't listen to them anymore.

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=121&csid2=844&fid1=31229

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/05/05/chiptune-music-theft-continues-crystal-castles-abuses-creative-commons-license/

http://www.pileup.com/babyart/blog/?p=81
Aah, whatever... they sound good to me.
I like their industrial/electronic sound.
And sampling is pretty common thing.

Timbaland sampled off their Courtship Dating song to use in his chart topping a o technology song.
Which i think Crystal Castles themselves sampled off from a video game or something.

And then another thing i herd was they used samples from a copyright free samples CD which many other artists used samples from(including Timbaland), so they all ended up with the same samples in their songs and everyone thought those bands were ripping each other off.
I think they're really good. Ironically, the melodic stuff is a much better listen then all the crazy bleeping stuff, despite their being "digital punks". Even alice practice gets annoying once it descends into a bleeping mess. My favourite songs from the album is the completely acoustic one, "Tell me what to swallow". Pure coin-cedence though is suppose.
I'm gonna see them at the end of this month...
Might get some of that aye?!

Wonder how many times she gets grouped at gigs!
Quote by sam i am
I think they're really good. Ironically, the melodic stuff is a much better listen then all the crazy bleeping stuff, despite their being "digital punks". Even alice practice gets annoying once it descends into a bleeping mess. My favourite songs from the album is the completely acoustic one, "Tell me what to swallow". Pure coin-cedence though is suppose.

Tell me what to swallow is a nice song...
I like Love and Caring too.
Its pretty similar to Alice Practice as they use the same samples in that song too...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Sep 7, 2008,
Their response to the artist of the battered madonna image they used was the thing that really got to me.
I agree with what most people are saying here. Some of the songs are good, and catchy, but a majority of their album is shit. And Alice is sexy if that's worth anything.
Chaos is a friend of mine
Tbh the plagarism thing doesnt bother me. I investigated the links left by someone above and I found that they sampled some 8bit artists bleeping in an unreleased track and some drum sounds they used in love and caring. It was bad of them, but neglidgebul compared to the many original tracks of theres which are good.

However, I also imagine these sounds arn't impossible to reproduce using their own gear, and even so, they are clearly on a higher creative plane then these chiptune artists, mainly because of Alice's vocal stylings.

And, I think alice is quite beautiful

Quote by sam i am
Tbh the plagarism thing doesnt bother me. I investigated the links left by someone above and I found that they sampled some 8bit artists bleeping in an unreleased track and some drum sounds they used in love and caring. It was bad of them, but neglidgebul compared to the many original tracks of theres which are good.

However, I also imagine these sounds arn't impossible to reproduce using their own gear, and even so, they are clearly on a higher creative plane then these chiptune artists, mainly because of Alice's vocal stylings.

And, I think alice is quite beautiful

Plagiarism is wrong. Period. How would you like it if somebody jacked your work without giving you credit? Also, just because you like Alice's vocals doesn't mean they are 'on a higher creative plane' then chiptune artists.
They don't reaaallly consider themselves chiptune though. They like to be electronic/alternative dance....
What did they plagiarize exactly? Its really getting tough to tell what is blatant plagiarism these days, with digital bands and hip hop relying so heavily on sampling.
Chaos is a friend of mine
I herd they just took some samples off a CD with copyright free samples on it and many other artists used those samples too and they ended up getting accused of plagiarizing.
Quote by Zycho
Plagiarism is wrong. Period. How would you like it if somebody jacked your work without giving you credit? Also, just because you like Alice's vocals doesn't mean they are 'on a higher creative plane' then chiptune artists.

I know it's wrong, but it's not exactly like they are using the whole songs as they are. its sounds to me like they simple mis-understood the CC licence, and as they were free they could sample them too and they just dont conduct themselves very well in these kinda of affairs. Moreover, the track they were accused of plagirism on was a not even an album track, they didn't sell it. I'm not saying that makes it right, but it seems wrong to dismiss the whole band as plagiarists for couple of tracks excluding the fact they produced a great album mostly by themselves.

However, I don't like how they deny their knowledge of the chiptune genre, claiming they have "no influences" (I think I read that somewhere), when they obviously where aware of it. if I were a chiptune artist I would be pretty angry at that.

And I believe they are on a higher creative plane beacsue instead of just being like "hey we make music like off gameboys" they have used the sound to create a sense or urgency, desperation and darkness, alot of which comes from Alice's vocals. They have also managed to conduct themselves in such a way as to appeal to a wider demographic rather than styaing in a little clique. I am not particularly knowledgable of the chiptune genre, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

Wow I got carried away there.
I watched them play at Glasto on BBC and I'm pretty sure they just rippd the synth line from the verse of Kids by MGMT so that enraged me enough never to bother with them. But I dunno I've never actually listened to them. I suggest you all listen to Metronomy if you like funny noises
Guitar:Gibson Les Paul Standard

Amp:Vox AC30

Everyone listen to MGMT
Quote by geetarguy92
I watched them play at Glasto on BBC and I'm pretty sure they just rippd the synth line from the verse of Kids by MGMT so that enraged me enough never to bother with them. But I dunno I've never actually listened to them. I suggest you all listen to Metronomy if you like funny noises

The verse line in Kids by no means original, it's a very common chord progression and a simple ocatave dance bass pattern. I'm willing to bet there have already been countless songs with a similar bassline.
Page 1 of 3