I've been listening to Every Time I Die lately (please keep the negative comments towards the band/tone/bassist/whatever to yourself, I know not everyone likes them) and I really like the tone the bassist got on album "Hot Damn!"

I don't think the same bassist is currently with the band, but still. I really like his grindy tone.

All I know is he uses a pick and an Ampeg 8x10. I think in the Ebolarama video his bass is P/J styled but I can't tell if it has a J pickup at the bridge in the I Been Gone a Long Time video.

Here's a link to "Ebolarama ".

And another to "I Been Gone a Long Time ".

I don't know why, but I really like his tone. A lot. And I'm not sure how to get a similar sound. I'd assume a P pickup would help, but that can't be all there is to it.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
yea i like that too.
slightly bluesy vlave overdrive. crunchy.

i really want that tone from my basses.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Damn, I can barely hear the Bass cause the singer is just yelling too goddamn much... anyhow, if what I assume is heard as a bass is correct, I guess you could try the following: bridge PU, amp settings (in o'clock): bass @ 2:30, mids @ 3:30 / 4:00, treble @ 1:00 - you'll want to really pump your amp, no cutting any frequencies.
pump bass and mids on your bass too if you have an active preamp. add reasonable gain on the amp.

but again, exactly copying any bassists tone would require using the exact same gear he is. so don't focus so much on his gear, but instead figure out how you can get that kind of tone with your gear.
Last edited by alreadygone at May 2, 2008,