i have a metronome and i need it to practice my riffs and i dont really know how to properly use it. what am i doing? is it like in beats of four and i play a note every beat? or what.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
lol.... you can use it any way you want to... generally you set it at the tempo of the music you are working on and you play like it is a drum set (sort of)... it's just to help you keep time, so use it any way you want to, just stay in time
but it doesnt help me stay on the same tempo like i want it to.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I don't know if I can explain it very well, but listen to the riff you want to practice being played on a record or whatever. Tap your foot in the rhythm, most of the time the music is 4/4 so the 4 beats should come naturally. Now set the metronome so that it's as fast as that rhythm, and mimic the riff using those clicks as a sort of an anchoring point. Usually you don't play a note per beat, but sometimes you do - it depends on the riff really.

Edit: If that didn't help, you could try using Guitar Pro (you can get a free trial version if you don't have it), get a tab of a song with a riff you'd like to hear, and activate the metronome in Guitar Pro to help you understand how you should use it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at May 2, 2008,
i have no problem with songs from other songs, but when i'm writing my own, its hard for me to keep at the same tempo and not speed up or slow down. once i find the speed i want to stay at that speed so when i record it, the riffs will be the same throughout the song instead of having one later in the song faster than the one in the beginning.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
i have no problem with songs from other songs, but when i'm writing my own, its hard for me to keep at the same tempo and not speed up or slow down. once i find the speed i want to stay at that speed so when i record it, the riffs will be the same throughout the song instead of having one later in the song faster than the one in the beginning.

So what's the problem? You don't know know what tempo you should set it to? Try changing the tempo and playing along with it until you're playing at a speed you like. I really don't know how I could help you more than that, sorry.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
its not that im having a hard time finding the tempo, its what i do after i find the tempo. what do i do with the clicks, do i play a note every click? or what?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
1 crotchet per click
2 quavers
4 semi quavers
8 demi-semi quavers
16 hemi-demi-semi quavers
1.5 crotchet triplets
3 quaver triplets
6 semiquaver triplets
12 demi-semiquaver triplets
24 hemi-demi-semquaver triplets

crotchets = 4er note
quaver = 8th
semi quaver = 16th
demi semi = 32th
hemi demi semi = 64th

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
i knew that already and that didnt help at all.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
its not that im having a hard time finding the tempo, its what i do after i find the tempo. what do i do with the clicks, do i play a note every click? or what?

He already said, it depends on the riff.

Set the tempo to the tempo of your foot tapping the song's tempo. Nothing's easier.

Listen to the riff, tap your foot to the record, then try to play that riff, but staying in-time with the metronome, and not tapping your foot.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by ugmung
i knew that already and that didnt help at all.

but thats exactly what you asked for!? what do you want and try be clear this time because your question was do i play one note on each click or what? and i said how many per click -.-

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by ugmung

the clicks are for each beat in the measure.. you can decide how many notes in your measure... what's your question?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Quote by metallicafan616
but thats exactly what you asked for!? what do you want and try be clear this time because your question was do i play one note on each click or what? and i said how many per click -.-

i asked "do i play a note for every click" and you give me the time measures for notes.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I hate to be rude... and this may sound mean but its the truth.

Not everyone has rhythm, nor tempo.... NOR can you teach it. If you get it, you get it, if you don't...well... you don't. If you are not writing music in 4/4 time, but your metronome is set to 4/4 it can be VERY confusing.

As an example:

My band's newest song, I wrote the guitar part and it sounded great.....then I tried playing it with a metronome..... no go.... i counted the beats in my head, and sure enough.... 9/8..... GREAT... then we had to put drums to it....

ANYWAYS

I think that if you REALLY cant play along with a metronome, you should try some more basic rhythm parts.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I think that if you REALLY cant play along with a metronome, you should try some more basic rhythm parts

i'm not going to play rhythm just because i dont know how to work a metronome. thats just stupid.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
The time value of each "click" is up to you. Most people have each "click" equal a quarter note in music. Many musical scores will give you a speed in beats per minute at the top of the page, so you can know from reading it how fast you should play. Or you can use your ear.

If you are playing a fast song really slowly, you may have each click equal an eighth note or sixteenth note, depending on how slow you wish to go. It all depends on how many clicks you want to hear in order to play at a constant speed when practicing.

The steady clicks of a metronome simply provide you the structure in which to play your rhythm.

Many rhythms have notes on the off-beat -- your off-beat note happens between the clicks, the exact timing depending upon the value of each click. If you are playing two notes with equal time values to a click, and each click equals a quarter note, then your two notes are eighth notes. It is not as hard in practice as it is to explain over the internet.
i'm not going to play rhythm just because i dont know how to work a metronome. thats just stupid.

Maybe you should re-read the first sentence of your last post ... it means the opposite of what I think you thought it meant ... and may also be truer than you realize! =^)

Seriously though, metronomes are worth figuring out -- good luck.
well no you dont have to play on every click, then you would be playing straight quarter or eighth or sixteenths. as you said, you know that every click is one beat. but like someone else said check and make sure you are in the same time sig as your song. i remember i was trying to transpose a song i wrote into guitar pro to send to a bandmate and it wasnt making sense. i was transposing it into 3/4 when i wrote it in 6/4.

so count the beats of your riff out loud saying "1 + 2 e + a" or whatever it is. itll help.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Dude, its pretty easy.

1, 2, 3, 4 1/4
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1/8
1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a 1/16

The whole for beats is a measure

etc the numbers are always the clicks, but it depends how much you play between them, for a fast song your going to need to play inbetween them or your metronome wont go any faster.
I really think you need to sitdown with someone who can play and have him show you some stuff. Some people do not have any rhythym at all. You may be one of them.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
with someone who can play?
i can play, thank you.
just because i dont know how a metronome ****ing works doesnt make me a noob.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
You sure sound like one. A metronome is pretty intuitive. You need to learn how to use the time signature. 16th notes thru whole notes to start. If your having problems learning leads purchase a phrase trainer so you can slow the parts down. I didn't mean to offend you but somethings are a lot easier to learn if you can take some guidance.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
You sure sound like one. A metronome is pretty intuitive. You need to learn how to use the time signature. 16th notes thru whole notes to start. If your having problems learning leads purchase a phrase trainer so you can slow the parts down. I didn't mean to offend you but somethings are a lot easier to learn if you can take some guidance.

omg, how many times do i have to say this? i know how to play guitar and i'm pretty damn good in my perspective i just have a metronome and i dont now how to use the damn thing.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo