OK i'm going to be winding my own pups soon from the stewmac humbucker kit. Alnico V magnets, 42awg heavy formvar coated wire... I'm going to try and wind them to around 8-9k for bridge and 12k for the neck (if that wire will get me the resistance i want ). The question I have is in regard to the bridge pup.

I want to wire it to about 12k like I said... but I also plan to coil tap and don't want to lose much output. I was thinking about staggering the ohms on the coils so I would have 5k on one coil and 7k on the other (12k in series) so I could tap the 7k and not lose much output and keep the brighter midrange sound that the hotter winding will provide...

does anyone have experience with this type of setup?

EDIT: i meant 8-9k for neck and 12k for bridge...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at May 2, 2008,
1st off... With 42awg poly it's hard to get more than about 9K on a humbucker pickup. With heavy formvar you will be lucky to get 8.3K. If you want higher output pickups you are going to need to use 43awg wire. 43awg formvar should be able to get you 13K to 14K without much of a problem.

2nd. Formvar isn't a "normal" wire for humbuckers. It's going to be clearer, brighter, with loose bass and scooped mids. Basically, it's the opposite of a normal humbucker. It's a tone I really like but are you sure that is what you are after? I'm not saying that you don't want formvar, I'm just bringing it up because It would suck if you bought an expensive roll of formvar only to find that you didn't like it.

3rd. Mismatched coils are quite commen and work very well. 2K is a very large mismatch, but it's not unheard of. This is something you might want to do some experimenting with and you may find that you have to rewind it a few times before you get what you are looking for. It's tricky because mismatching the coils changes the dynamics and frequency responce of your pickups and because the pickup will sound different when you wind the slug side hotter than it would if you wind the pole side hotter, it means you get a few options.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
and wind them to around 8-9k for bridge and 12k for the neck
This is bass ackward from the normal.
Identical pickups will produce a stronger signal in the neck position because of greater string deflection there. Typically a neck pickup will have fewer turns, not more.

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
I want to wire it to about 12k like I said... but I also plan to coil tap and don't want to lose much output. I was thinking about staggering the ohms on the coils so I would have 5k on one coil and 7k on the other (12k in series) so I could tap the 7k and not lose much output and keep the brighter midrange sound that the hotter winding will provide...
An imbalance in the number of turns will reduce the hum canceling properties. The only way to make this arrangement effective in hum canceling would be to design the frame/baseplate/magnet/polepiece assembly so that the coil with fewer turns would be more sensitive to ac fields, balancing it with the hum picked up by the coil with the greater number of turns.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
with every post corderouyEW makes, i regret even more that i didnt get the money together for the pickups he was gonna make me. I promise you i will get it together.
that's basically why i started this thread... to get some answers. thanks

so you think i'll have trouble getting the output I want, huh? that sucks

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh crap i just realized i said it backwards... i meant 8-9k for the NECK and 12k for the BRIDGE... my bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at May 2, 2008,