Ok, I won't get to the store to try one out for a few weeks, but everybody is telling me to get a Vox AC30.

My fav guitarist Brian May uses one, and their are many other great guitarists who've used them...

I have read that they are a one channel amp thats concerning because id like a tube amp with 3 channels (clean, crunch and lead).

Does anybody play an AC30 with overdrive pedals and get from sustaining lead sounds to chimmering cleans with the step of a pedal?

Cheers
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Chavette by Charvel guitar (HSS)
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
well... looking at your sig... that amp costs more than all your stuff put together. DO you really need that?? I would go for a guitar instead. THat Laney is a nice amp.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
I hate the amp.
Its not a tube amp, its a solid state amp.

I want a good amp, then im going to get a new guitar.

Cheers
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
actually you can get a vox ac30cc2 used for like 800 or so, Ive seen them around LA...and new they cost around 1200 but you can bring it down to 1000 at guitar center (thats the deal I got!).
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I would say that before I make any comments on that amp we need to know which one you are referring to specifically. I'm not a Vox expert but the AC30 CC is an all tube amp and a very nice one at that....it was on my original list.

I applaud you for a well constructed thread start. The AD line (D as in digital) is Vox Valvetronix and is a hybrid - which is OK for money but not a true tube/valve powered amp and i would not buy one based on what i have heard.

Actually - i think you are making a wise wish list. If you can afford it, spend as much time with one as long as possible along with some other tube amps and go with what feels good.

the thing was too expensive for me (AC30CC) and i'm a sucker for the Fenders but used might be the way to go.

someone please correct me if i'm wrong. and good luck Predator!

;
^yes

Guitar Gear and Accessories needs to be renamed Guitar Gear and Amplifiers imo

as i think a lot of people get confused as to where they should post - but spending a little time first in each one would clear that up.

no warnings please...only trying to help...no spammy

;
I bought my AC30 because Brian May is my favorite guitarist, too.

Oh, and listen to the guy above me; amps are MUCH more important than guitars. You can play just about any guitar (with good strings lol) through an AC30 and make it sound SUPER crisp and chimey.

The AC30 CC is a charm. You just need some good pedals to go with it.

I bought the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone for it, which gives it GREAT overdrive. It's great for rhythm overdrives, and you can get almost any tone from it. I got my AC30 to pull SoaD-type distortion.

You can also crank the level knob on the pedal to make it super loud if you want crazy volume for your solos, too.

But all-in-all you'd probably have to buy two pedals; one for distorted rhythm and one for lead. I still haven't bought an extra one. My Metal Zone is fine because I don't really play gigs, so when I use it to record, I just tweak the settings.

Also, the overdrive on the AC30 isn't bad for a crunchy, vintage/indie-type distortion. The only problem is you can't switch to clean if you overdrive it. You gotta commit. =P
moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
ive heard that some laney tubes do a good job of sounding like AC30s for less dough. look into those.
brian may plays through a wall of modded AC30s made in england (not the recent ones made in china) and they are fitted with celestion blue alnico speakers, the modern chinese AC30 have wharfedale speakers and in my opinion they suck. I've tried the modern CC2 time and again and all you can get is a weak synthetic crunch out of it once cranked up, (it's a class A 30watt amp so it's like a 100 watt all the way up for a crappy subtle crunch).
If I were you I'd look into a Laney VC30 (the lead channel doesn't get too dirty but a good booster would help) if not a peavey classic 50 which has enough gain from heavy blues to hard rock
Thanks for all the replies.

In terms of kind of music, I play anything from Queen, GnR, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Feeder.

I'd like something that will give me lovely cleans and great crunch and sustaining leads.

I just need to get out there and try out alot of amps.
I was also looking at a Marshall combo, something like a JVM 410C.
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
Quote by kevinmask
brian may plays through a wall of modded AC30s made in england (not the recent ones made in china) and they are fitted with celestion blue alnico speakers, the modern chinese AC30 have wharfedale speakers and in my opinion they suck. I've tried the modern CC2 time and again and all you can get is a weak synthetic crunch out of it once cranked up, (it's a class A 30watt amp so it's like a 100 watt all the way up for a crappy subtle crunch).
If I were you I'd look into a Laney VC30 (the lead channel doesn't get too dirty but a good booster would help) if not a peavey classic 50 which has enough gain from heavy blues to hard rock

There are several versions of the AC30 (two, I believe), and one of them is sold with Celestion Blues. It's not a class A amp; and class has nothing to do with loudness. It's (about) as loud as most 30w amps.
Quote by mr_hankey
There are several versions of the AC30 (two, I believe), and one of them is sold with Celestion Blues. It's not a class A amp; and class has nothing to do with loudness. It's (about) as loud as most 30w amps.
There's the CC1 (although they may have stopped making it? Idiotic if they have.), CC2 and CC2X.

And you're right, it's not Class A.

An AC30 manages about 32w clean volume also, normally. They're pretty loud, but all 30w tube amps are.

But, if they still make the CC1, then that's sold with a rebranded Celestion G12 Century, which is superior to the Wharfedales.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
There's the CC1 (although they may have stopped making it? Idiotic if they have.), CC2 and CC2X.

And you're right, it's not Class A.

An AC30 manages about 32w clean volume also, normally. They're pretty loud, but all 30w tube amps are.

But, if they still make the CC1, then that's sold with a rebranded Celestion G12 Century, which is superior to the Wharfedales.

The CC1 has indeed been discontinued.
Ugh, it really annoys me how they discontinue perfectly excellent things. The CC1 was a great amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by my name is Pete
The AC30 CC is a charm. You just need some good pedals to go with it.

I bought the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone for it, which gives it GREAT overdrive.

I'm deeply saddened.

The AC30CC -Chinese or not- is a fantastic amp. You could get an a/b/y box and switch between the normal and top boost channels for cleans and crunch, or you can do what most players do and roll back your volume knob for cleans, roll it up for crunch, and step on a pedal for something more.

And for a pedal, I'd suggest a nice overdrive. I use an Ibanex TS808 with great results, and I also have an Analogman Sun Lion, which is a treble booster and fuzz in one box (for Brian May, you need a treble boost to go with your AC30).

The CC1 is a great amp. I have it. I was happy with the stock speaker, I'm even happier with the Red Fang I put in there. It's an incredibly loud 30W (actually 33W), even in the 1x12 config.

The amp would work for you, but you may want to look into something like the Traynor YCV 50 Blue. It's a two-channel amp with delicious cleans and a Marshall-like crunch. May be a little more up your alley. It's less money than the Marshall, and better, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.