Hey guys,
I have a Vintage Icon V100 guitar (les paul copy). It came with wilkonson pickups, is it worth getting better ones and will it make it sound better or would it be better to just buy a real gibson les paul? Also if you think i should change Pickups what do you recomend (I play old rock mainly like Slash stuff and Zeppelin but also play some modern rock.

Cheers guys.
i know changing pickups on an epi les paul makes it sound pretty damn close to a real gibson. maybe your guitar is the same thing, you'd have to ask someone who knows alot about V100's
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
Upgrading pickups is IMHO the best thing you can do for a lower-end guitar to better the tone. I put some Duncans in my Les Paul Special and it sounds incredible. Tuning heads would be a good second upgrade choice.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by esp1234
What amp do you own?

Atm I own a bad fender amp but I am buying a good Vox amp in a week for about £500.
Quote by oneblackened
I'd look into something that isn't a vox, unless said amp is a valvetronix.

£500? Is it an AC30? If so, the tone improvement should be way greater than any pickup change
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
^I'm just gonna remove my comment now, I feel like an idiot.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by hell_monkey
£500? Is it an AC30? If so, the tone improvement should be way greater than any pickup change

Yeah I will buy a vox like that probably...but should I get new pickups as well as the amp?
Definetly new amp.

If you use the amp that you have now with the new Pickups, You won't hear much of a difference sound wise.

I think the VOX ac30 is 1,400? USD?
the valvetronix is good though, I just think that you'll hear a bigger difference if you get an ALL TUBE amp.
new amp helps more than pups to the tone
but pickups also change the tone, and they can make a huge diference
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Just wait till you have the amp.

Once you have the amp then you have to think "What do I what to change about my pick-ups?"

Changing pick-ups is a good way to tweak your sound. You say you want it to "sound better" but better sounding is going to be different depending on who you ask.
I played a Vintage V100 once and I thought the pickups were really good. They sounded almost exactly like the Gibson Burstbuckers I have in my LP.

Definitely get a new amp.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by lespauldemon
Yeah I will buy a vox like that probably...but should I get new pickups as well as the amp?

if you're getting an ac30, i'd wait until you get the amp- first of all, the new amp might make a big enough change to your tone to not need new pickups, but even if you do, it's best to wait until you have the amp to see how you want the pickups to influence your new amp tone.

if that makes sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't bother changing pickups - the Wilkinson ones in your guitar are pretty decent.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com