I'm a big fan of a great scooped sound, but lately I've been leaning towards a more Mid-based attack, like Slayer. I don't know, it just sounds great in Eb tuning

So I can't say right for my amp, but I got the MXR 10-band EQ a couple days ago and a setting I found that make every amp and every amp channel sound alive. For instance my practice amp, the Vox 30 watt Valvetronix sounds great now and not so harsh.

My favorite setting for the EQ is:

31.25Hz +12 62.5Hz -6 125Hz -2 250Hz -3 500Hz +6 1KHz +8 2KHx -5

4KHz -12 8KHz 0 16KHz 0
bass 4, mids 5 1/2, trebs 6

or close approximates of that
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
Quote by qotsa1998
Put it in the Ultimate Settings thread. I might wanna try it sometime.

I was actually going to base this thread off of my EQ pedal, so naturally I posted it in Guitar Gear & Accessories

But thanks Dick Face

THE Boston sond
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bass somewhere between 5 and 7
Mids around 8 or 9
Treble around 7
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
a smiley face with the lowest point around 1khz- about 3 on a 1-10 scale. slighly skewed toward the treble side.

yea i scoop my mids, dont lynch me UG
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Everyone scoops their mids in metal, at least for rhythm sound. I fin the best thing to do is to scoop the lower mids for rhythm and boost the upper for solo work.

UG needs to realise that sometimes you DON'T want or need the guitar at the front of the mix.
Hey, I've got the MXR 10 Band EQ. I'll have to give that a try sometime. I'd give the Boston one a shot as well, but I don't know what to do with the other four bands. :P
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Everyone scoops their mids in metal, at least for rhythm sound. I fin the best thing to do is to scoop the lower mids for rhythm and boost the upper for solo work.

UG needs to realise that sometimes you DON'T want or need the guitar at the front of the mix.

No. They don't, I play metal, predominantly progressive death/black

and, my EQ goes

Bass: 4
Treble: 7
Mids: 8

I don't see the scooping of the mids, tar-twad
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993

No. They don't, I play metal, predominantly progressive death/black

and, my EQ goes

Bass: 4
Treble: 7
Mids: 8

I don't see the scooping of the mids, tar-twad

Well I'm guessing on that FM of yours turning the bass past half way causes the amp to boom like a bitch.

EDIT: And wtf is a tar-twad?
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at May 2, 2008,
No, I owned a JCM about 8 years ago, and it also was EQ'd exactly the same, and I stick to the fact that there are MANY metal bands who don't scoop.

Examples: Opeth, Akercocke, Death, and Behemoth (they have the bass high, but no scooping).
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Bass 7 Mids 5 Treb4
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by Slaytanic1993
No, I owned a JCM about 8 years ago, and it also was EQ'd exactly the same, and I stick to the fact that there are MANY metal bands who don't scoop.

Examples: Opeth, Akercocke, Death, and Behemoth (they have the bass high, but no scooping).

They blend different guitar sounds. Granted, their live rig probably does have boosted mids, but in a studio situation I am 99% that they blend several EQs, which will probably include scooped mids.
I have heard some Death stuff which was REALLY scooped and sounded awful.

Anyways, this thread is really pointless because treble9 mid5 and bass6 might sound completely different on a 6505 with EMGs and on an ENGL with XL500s.

Anyways, scoop your mids of it sounds good, don't do it if it doesn't.
I actually do the opposite, I put my mids around 9 with my treble at 7ish and bass at 3 or 4
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Scooped mids sound horrible imo. On my Mark IV, they're at about 4 1/2, but only because that amp has so much mids that anything else would be too much. On my 5150 I pretty much had them dimed and when I use the models on my UX2, the only way I can get them to sound decent is with a lot of mids.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by lbj273
I actually do the opposite, I put my mids around 9 with my treble at 7ish and bass at 3 or 4

Not a bad plan. EVH has very little bass to his sound.

Quote by bartdevil_metal

It's not about being at the front of the mix...It's about placing the instrument where it belongs! Bass is a BASS instrument, Drums have a lot of high end, with their cymbals and snare...and the guitar is a MIDRANGE instrument. Take away the midrange, it starts veering into the other instrument's territories. It's just about having a good live mix...

Quote by Bostonrocks

THE Boston sond

No stomp switch?

I just got myself a cool 10 band Boss EQ pedal, still toying aroung with my favorite settings and saving them to the memory...Love it, though.
Bass 6
Mid 6
Treble 6
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I'm looking at my amp right now and it says-: Pre-amp- 6 Bass- 7 Mid- 5 Treble- 5 Master- 2 (it's really loud) Presence- 7 Depth- 5

By it's self this sound pretty rad but with the EQ engaged it screams, and with my BBE Grean Screamer as well it's downright nasty

BTW, I'm currently using-
Dean CFH with a Bill Lawrence 500XL
Soldano Avenger
Marshall 1960 Lead Cab (looking to upgrade to a Vader Cab maybe)
Bass- 7-9
Mids- 5
Treble- 7ish
Presence- Full
Gain- Full

and

Bass- 6-8
Mids- 6-7
Treble- Full
Presence-Full
Gain Full
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
On my CBB:

Treble: 5
Mid: 8
Bass: 9

On my C50:

Treble: 6/12
Mids: Maxxed
Bass: 10/12
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Bass - 4
Mid - 7
Treble - 7
Gain - 7
Yeah
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not a bad plan. EVH has very little bass to his sound.

It's not about being at the front of the mix...It's about placing the instrument where it belongs! Bass is a BASS instrument, Drums have a lot of high end, with their cymbals and snare...and the guitar is a MIDRANGE instrument. Take away the midrange, it starts veering into the other instrument's territories. It's just about having a good live mix...

No stomp switch?

I just got myself a cool 10 band Boss EQ pedal, still toying aroung with my favorite settings and saving them to the memory...Love it, though.

yah it's the older MXR one the used to not have the footswitch.

but yah that'll sound AMAZINg on your traynor for boston. use those settings and just bump the mids a bit on your traynor and put the bass at about 6 and the treble about 6. have your mids around 7 and you have the Boston live sound
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
For my rhythm I like:

Bass: 8
Mids: 6.5
Treble:5
Gain: 8

For Lead:

Bass: 7
Mids: 7
Treble: 4.5
Gain: 8

With my FullDrive 2 kicked in. On the FD2, I'll have something like: