I've read a lot of posts where people are like, 'I've played for ten months and I can sweep' and stuff like that. I've played for a year (more like 8 months or so really, because for the first couple of months I didn't play a lot cause it hurt my hands) I play as much as I can and I love it. But up until like 4-5 months ago, I didn't know anything about sweeping or different scales or any technical stuff. My dad was always holding me back too kinda, because he always tried to make me play things I didn't want to, and he would never help me with anything I wanted to learn. I know how to play a lot of songs though, just about every linkin park and three days grace song, plus I can play trace bundy's canon and dueling ninjas and a lot of other songs like those http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyY4LNkxOW0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9to1auUNTk&feature=related the point I'm trying to make is am I really doing badly as far as progression goes? I plan on putting vids on youtube, too to get criticism, but my dad has an ancient camera and I can't figure out how to get videos on the computer
No.

I think you're doing really well tbh! The guys who say that can sweep after 10 months are either blatantly lieing to you or they don't have a gf!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
naw dude,you aint doing bad...
i dont think the people who can sweep after 10 months are telling the truth
i dont have AD.....ooo,shiny
no, it is more important to really build finger mechanics, muscle memory, an intricate understanding of the fretboard and to work on the tone that you can get from your guitar before you attempt to try on more advanced techniques like tapping or sweeping. WHile these sound nice, it is sort of like having a diamond plated rolex if you don't know how to tell time. Likewise knowing a technique tells you nothing of how to use that technique, or when it is appropriate to use that technique.
i enjoy head
Yeah I'm agreeing with you guys. TS you're on the right track keep it up and remember we're here to help. All those cats that claim they can sweep after only playing for like 10 months are lying through their teeth. Either that or it's all they can do.

Edit: Hell I just learned how to sweep like a week ago and I've been playing for 21 years! It's all about what you learn, when you learn it and really getting what you learn down so that you always have it there!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at May 2, 2008,
Quote by Matsols
You rock for playing 8 months!

EDIT: ah sorry, that wasn't you on the video

no I'm a girl lol I want to make a cover of this song, but ever time I turn on the camera, I get really nervous, my hands start shaking and everything
EDIT: it's weird cause I can play in front of people fine
Yeah, the guys who say ten month crap are telling partial truths..."I can sweep!...My house"

I've been playing for...about 3 years this month, and I started sweeping, like, in November of last year. I can play the basic Maj. and Min. shapes really well, but not so much any others, haha. It takes a fecking long time to do that. Anyway, you're doing better than me at that point. Just give it some time, and you'll get to where you want to be.

EDIT: Holy ****, a female

I get that way too. If there's more than just me in a room, I forget how to play almost everything, and I get nervous hahaha
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Last edited by SchecterC-1+Man at May 2, 2008,
Quote by tkdfighter
no I'm a girl lol I want to make a cover of this song, but ever time I turn on the camera, I get really nervous, my hands start shaking and everything
EDIT: it's weird cause I can play in front of people fine

Just record your playing lots of times 'till your comfortable!
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
Yeah, the guys who say ten month crap are telling partial truths..."I can sweep!...My house"

I've been playing for...about 3 years this month, and I started sweeping, like, in November of last year. I can play the basic Maj. and Min. shapes really well, but not so much any others, haha. It takes a fecking long time to do that. Anyway, you're doing better than me at that point. Just give it some time, and you'll get to where you want to be.

Quote by chrisofeihenjar
naw dude,you aint doing bad...
i dont think the people who can sweep after 10 months are telling the truth

most definately. ive been playing for at least 5 years, and i couldnt sweep if my life depended on it.
Quote by ValoRhoads
All those cats that claim they can sweep after only playing for like 10 months are lying through their teeth. Either that or it's all they can do.

I was sweeping the very first week I had my guitar. The garage floor.

TS, don't forget, you can edit anything you record with a video camera. So if it takes you an hour to work up the courage to play something as well as you can without the camera, then just edit out the junk.
Last edited by The Atomic Ass at May 2, 2008,
Someone needs to get this girl's friends to bring a video camera when she plays for them. Or really, play something simple in front of the camera, so mindnumbing that you don't care that the camera is there any more, then start the real song.
The most important thing is playing music you love.

My mum bugs me to play Foo Fighters and stuff.
I made you a cookie but I eated it.
yeh, i dont know what sweeping is, but if i were u i wud play what i want not what your dad wants.

ps. it wud be funny to piss him off with some of your playing really loud, that what i do to my dad
Alternate picking is ahrder than sweeping imo.

Thats coz i started sweeping early on and i cant alternate pick properly

And youc an't really do anything without alternate picking

So my suggestion to ya is to learn alternate pikcing first and foremost
Quote by eloC311PRS
most definately. ive been playing for at least 5 years, and i couldnt sweep if my life depended on it.

Haha, me too!

The thing to remember, tkdfighter, is that everybody learns at different speeds, and also learn different techniques quicker than others. From the sounds of it, you're doing really well considering how long you've been playing.

Oh, and yeah, people will always exaggerate their guitar skills. Especially on UG.
Lotsa good advice here...and it sounds like your dad's got it right too. Sweep picking (32 years of guitar playing and I'm not even sure what that is) has nothing to do with playing a song.
Quote by tkdfighter
I've read a lot of posts where people are like, 'I've played for ten months and I can sweep' and stuff like that. I've played for a year (more like 8 months or so really, because for the first couple of months I didn't play a lot cause it hurt my hands) I play as much as I can and I love it. But up until like 4-5 months ago, I didn't know anything about sweeping or different scales or any technical stuff. My dad was always holding me back too kinda, because he always tried to make me play things I didn't want to, and he would never help me with anything I wanted to learn. I know how to play a lot of songs though, just about every linkin park and three days grace song, plus I can play trace bundy's canon and dueling ninjas and a lot of other songs like those http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyY4LNkxOW0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9to1auUNTk&feature=related the point I'm trying to make is am I really doing badly as far as progression goes? I plan on putting vids on youtube, too to get criticism, but my dad has an ancient camera and I can't figure out how to get videos on the computer

Your dad has exaclty the right idea, you call it "holding back", I call it making sure you don't rush things - invariably the things you want to learn are very different from the things you NEED to learn. He was trying to make sure you learned things properly rather than flitting from technique to technique.

Fact of the matter is you can't learn an awful lot in your first few months....you can touch on a load of things briefly and learn the absolute minimum about them resulting in you not really taking the time to understand them or learn to use them properly.

Or you could spend those first few months concentrating on the basics and making sure you've absolutely nailed them. Best thing to do now is reassess your palying from the bottom up and see if there's any gaps that need filling...there probably will be.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pfft. I've been playing for around 8-9 years and I can't sweep (of course, I was like 8 when I started so I wouldn't count the first two years as I was quite retarded then).
I can't sweep. I've been trying to learn, though I can play lots of prog such as The Fall Of Troy, if it counts for something.
dont worry about that guy.

i can say i can play through the fire and flames but A. it could sound like **** B. it could be a 10bpm.

dont worry about other peoples learning speed im a medium ast learner but every1 is different dont let any one hold you back and play what YOU want to play otherwise there is no point of playing. just remeber music is a passion not a sport u dont have to be the fastest to win. keep at it hope to see you around
Ha ive been playing for a year and i just learned how to tune my guitar 2 weeks ago. So you cant be as bad as me.
If you want proper criticism DON'T post videos on YouTube. It's full of posers who will be jealous of what you can play and will criticise you because of it.
Man I've been playing for nearly 2 years and have only just started on solos.
Don't worry about it, everyone progresses at their own speed.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by steven seagull
Your dad has exaclty the right idea, you call it "holding back", I call it making sure you don't rush things - invariably the things you want to learn are very different from the things you NEED to learn. He was trying to make sure you learned things properly rather than flitting from technique to technique.

Fact of the matter is you can't learn an awful lot in your first few months....you can touch on a load of things briefly and learn the absolute minimum about them resulting in you not really taking the time to understand them or learn to use them properly.

Or you could spend those first few months concentrating on the basics and making sure you've absolutely nailed them. Best thing to do now is reassess your palying from the bottom up and see if there's any gaps that need filling...there probably will be.

I know he was probably just trying to help....but whenever I would ask him a question about how to play something, he would be like 'I can't tell you, it's something you just know.' and he wouldn't help me with the songs I wanted to learn, which were easy songs, like linkin park. He wanted me to play the hillbilly music from back in the day that he listened to when he was my age. I've kinda had to learn most stuff on my own, but I just got a guitar teacher and he said that I could be really good, cause I practice lots and he says that he can tell I enjoy playing. thanks for all you peoples advice though I feel a lot better now
EDIT: is alternate picking where you pick up and down or is it something else?
Quote by tkdfighter
I know he was probably just trying to help....but whenever I would ask him a question about how to play something, he would be like 'I can't tell you, it's something you just know.' and he wouldn't help me with the songs I wanted to learn, which were easy songs, like linkin park. He wanted me to play the hillbilly music from back in the day that he listened to when he was my age. I've kinda had to learn most stuff on my own, but I just got a guitar teacher and he said that I could be really good, cause I practice lots and he says that he can tell I enjoy playing. thanks for all you peoples advice though I feel a lot better now
EDIT: is alternate picking where you pick up and down or is it something else?

lol...that's dadspeak for "I don't actually know"

Seriously though, I'd make an effort to learn the stuff he wants you to - yes it'll put you in his good books but it's also important to keep your influences broad, there's a lot of overlaps in terms of what you need to know to play in different genres and the wider you can cast your net the better. If there's knowledge you can get from him then take what you can, even if you don't think it really applies to the stuff you want to play I guarantee it'll benefit your playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yep, everyone wants to jump in and shred but it's almost impossible for MOST Humans to be able to learn that quickly.

But if you get your basics down, it might take more time to get really going with it but once you do guitar is a breeze and the only thing you need to worry about is practicing songs slowly and then building up speed.
the people who say "i've played 10 months and can sweep" are either 1) lying, 2) actually can do it, but not nearly good enough for it to be any use 3) or actually can actually do it legit and have no lives. don't worry about it. playing guitar is not a competition. I've played over a year and I can't sweep.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by _deeperthewound

Oh, and yeah, people will always exaggerate their guitar skills. Especially on UG.

I'm absolutelly awful... yeah, think about that one a second :P
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 212