I finally went out and got some gear. PRS SE singlecut and a fender superchamp xd. Sounded great in the store, even (I mean especially) when I cranked it.

I got home, and there's a noticeable hum when i run it (probably just the tube noise I guess) but when I turn the volume past 4, I get a weird kind of rattling/hissing noise (more like hissing) when I play.

What the fvck is that and how do I fix it?

First amp, no experience. Help please
How small or large of a room are you playing in?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
sounds like you need a new cable.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
dude thats a huge bedroom....

second are you by your computer, a high wattage lamp or any other electrical appliance? that could cause the hum as well.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Alright, it's fine on the high e all the way through, the b gets it if I let the notes ring for more than 4 seconds, and anything lower than that is pretty much instantaneous hissing.

I don't have any fret buzz either
is there somthing in the room nearby that could be loose and shaking due to the vibrations? everything has a natural resonance, it could be like some change on your dresser or something. when i play my F-50 the lightbulbs rattle in my living room. and when my bassist plays in his basement and hits a low G, his vents rattle. but only when he hits a G.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
yeah i hit a note and walked around to see if anything was vibrating, but the noise was coming from the amp itself. It's open back, so I tried putting it in the middle of the room, right against a wall, on the opposite side of the room fro me, it still hisses.

I do have 2 computers, but they're on the other side of the room and in different outlets and extension cords.

It wasn't doing this at the store, could I have ruined my tubes when I drove the amp home? I was also playing a monster cable at the store and they gave me a free one to take home, so that might be it too. any other ideas?
it could be the intonation of your guitar.....
hmmm....well monsters have lifetime warranty. so if its borked take it back for a new one.

if its the amp, take it back to where you bought it, try it out in the store and tell the salesperson whats going on. if it does it in the store you might be able to exchange it for a different one. maybe you just got a lemon. its worth a shot.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I honestly think that its the guitar...

i have weird hums from my electric if it has sit in the car in the cold for an hour.....if I leave it inside and let it warm up, it sounds fine again...
Alright. thanks for the help. I don't have a monster, they gave me a p.o.s. one for free. I used a monster when i was trying it out in the store.

my house is fairly new, built in 97, so I don't think the electricity is the problem. I'll just take it back and get a new one I guess.

Alright, so what would it be with my guitar? Intonation is good, they set it up when I bought it and I checked it after, spot on. It hasn't left my house since, so temp/humidity shouldn't have ruined it yet. I need to replace the strings still

Thanks guys
Last edited by pak1351 at May 2, 2008,
yea TS, dont leave your guitar in extreme temperature differences for too long, it could damage the magnets in the pick ups and warp the wood of the body and neck.

i still say get back to the store or call them before its too late. i dont know what store you bought from but they may have a strict return policy, so just make sure you get everything straightened out before it could be too late.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Ok, its a 30 day no question reuturn policy, I also have a 90 warranty on the tubes, 2 years on the pots/wiring in the guitar, lifetime on body/neck, and 5 years on the amp. I got everything alst week, so I'm in good shape. I'm gonna geta monster cable and see if that helps
good. at least you got a real good deal on the warranties man!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals