I have a strat body lying around and since it's spring, I want to paint it. I've read around and many sources have said that the primer would depend on the kind of paint you are going to use.

I want to paint it like a chrome/torino red. I'd like to get my supplies at like a Wal-mart. Do you guys know a definitive source that could lead me through this process?

The body is sanded, so basically the process would be:

primer
paint
clear coat

Right?

I've searched, but nothing useful came up.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Grain fill/bondo
primer
paint
clear coat
?????
profit

I'm pretty sure anyways.
I'm painting a strat body right now, just waiting for the second coat of primer to be touch dry.
So heres my method

I went to a car care come repair type store called Halfords (UK). Buying the paints is easy when your there, they tend to lay them out so that the paints are next to the corresponding primer. I bought primer, paint and lacquer.

First I sanded the body down with a rough wet n dry, then used a finer wet and dry with soapy (Hand Soap) water afterwards.

Then I wiped it down with a cloth and white spirits to prepare the body

I am currently spraying on the primer, gonna give it a few coats until I cant see the colour underneath, I will let that dry overnight.

I'm then going to fill some of the chips with some clay type stuff I forget the name of it, then give it a sand down and then more primer.
A few sand down and primer sessions might be needed. It takes a while and sometimes it feels like your sanding down the primer you've just put on, but its worth messing around because it gives you a better smoother finish. Sometimes I see bodies that people havent sanded properly and you can tell, they may as well have painted it with a brush. Leave that to set over the second night (If your doing it on consecutive days).

Then give it a few coats of the coloured paint. A lot of the paints are touch dry in a few hours but can take weeks to set properly. If your not in a rush to get it done I'd recommend putting it away somewhere dry for a few weeks, the can will tell you how long.

Then pull it out and lacquer it, leave that to dry (check can for time period again).

I'd say the important part is the sanding, filling and priming stage, it really pays to spend some time getting it right.

These aren't set in stone, everyone has their own methods. Hope it helps.