Page 1 of 3
Today at school, an alumni gave a presentation on racism. He showed us a documentary in which he was in, and I'll give a summary.

The first part was about a family learning that they're great-great-great-great grandparents owned slaves and took part in slave trade. They struggle to grasp and accept this fact, as they learn that they're ancestors were actually terrible racists. The second part, the more prominent part, was them and a group of other such white-bread sheltered whiteys journeying to apologize to Africans and gain their acceptance, and hopefully end all racism. Each person talks about how they're struggling to cope with and recover from their racism. Actually the majority of it was talking about their wanting to overcome racism and how whites feel rather than why racism is wrong and how blacks might have felt (A.K.A. none).

The group insisted that everyone should apologize for what our ancestors have done. They thought that the President, Congress, state governments, etc. should apologize for taking part in slavery, and even considered lawsuits against families whose ancestors took part in slavery. They made trips to Africa and different churches getting to know Africans, talking to them very awkwardly and seeming intimidated by them. At the end they insisted racism is still as bad as it was then, giving no examples. The alumni and his wife (actually a black woman) asked for the students' opinion, and I was shocked when they were unanimously disgusted with the levels of racism going on, even though there wasn't once a moment when the movie actually went over any acts of racism. I felt I would get in trouble if I voiced my opinion about how it was a load of ****, so I didn't say anything. However there were two students who shared my viewpoint. The first got up and sarcastically said, "After being filled with so much grief and realizing the sins of my forefathers, what can I do to help?" They then dodged the questions and said to the students, "Well, what do you think?" The second student asked, "Why should I apologize for what my ancestors did? How will that help?" They again dodged the questions and talked about the importance of apologizing.

So, I ask you, Pit, how do you view the situation today? Is racism still prevalent? If so, what can we do? Just say whatever you think, maybe we can get a discussion going.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I didn't do it. I'm not apologizing.

I love black people and they love me.

We're one happy family.

With a great big hug

And a kiss from me to you

wont you say you love me to?

It doesn't get any deeper than that
aint this a bit deep for the pit?
SOLO STUFF HERE!
www.myspace.com/antioneire

BAND HERE!
www.myspace.com/theprojectire

Quote by element4433
See...this is why we make a plan. You have to know how you're going to masturbate in every situation.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
We're bros, bro. Not 'mos.
When I see a bunch of African guys going around apologizing for selling their countrymen into slavery in the first place, maybe I'll consider it.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by Dirge Humani
Yes it is prevalent, but apologizing for something that you had absolutely no control over is ridiculous.

+1.
And what about the racism against European immigrants from 1900-1950? It surely wasn't as prevalent as racism against blacks, but it was still there.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Racism is everywhere against every race, no matter what. People feeling bad for their ancestors' actions is f*cking dumb. People who complain about the prevelence of racism need to wake up and accept reality. Nothing can really be done at this point.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Yes it is prevalent, but apologizing for something that you had absolutely no control over is ridiculous.

+1

Hundreds of years is a little too late. What good will it do now anyway? What's done has been done and we've all accepted that.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Dirge Humani

My ancestors were sheep fucking liederhosen wearing inbreeding nomads from the backwoods of Switzerland. I couldn't care less.
Apologizing because your ancestors were slave-owners to people who have never been slaves won't solve anything.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
These people along with the united negro college fund are the main reasons that 'racism' actually still exists in america.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Quote by HaKattack
When I see a bunch of African guys going around apologizing for selling their countrymen into slavery in the first place, maybe I'll consider it.

Shyea.

Or europeans for starting the transatlantic slave trade.

^^^Above is sarcasm, suggesting that its ridiculously on a whole.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
So the Australian Prime Minister was wrong to apologize to the Aborigines for what their ancestors had done? I don't think so. We're tied to our history and past and it's only correct to make up for what they did.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
+1

Hundreds of years is a little too late. What good will it do now anyway? What's done has been done and we've all accepted that.

Let me play devil's advocate and take the opinion of the organization.

You may think it's acceptance, but in fact ignorance solves nothing. We should all be aware of racism. You may not even notice racism when it happens, and the person who does it may deny it, but it's still there. Ignoring things doesn't make them go away.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by HaKattack

*nods*

So like, what is the deal with airplane food? I mean, seriously?
Quote by dogismycopilot
Where was this? The US ( if so, what state), UK?

Kinda obvious that it's in the US, but our school is in Connecticut. A few of us including me live in New York.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I think a country/group/race/etc should be forgiven for anything that happens over a hundred years ago because nobody alive had absolutely anything to do with it. Not even the descendants of the slaves. They don't deserve an apology or reperations or anything along those lines. Especially not from me. And to anyone that tells me otherwise, I say, if your grandparents weren't slaves you'd probably still be in Africa. Now wouldn't that be sweet?
im in a band with a black guy
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
My ancestors weren't really here when slavery was legal, and if they were i wouldn't apologize. It's their fault, not mine, and black people today try to use slavery all the time to guilt me, which really pisses me off
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kinda obvious that it's in the US, but our school is in Connecticut. A few of us including me live in New York.

Im confused, how the hell were you supposed to know if your ancestors had slaves or were racist? Was it just assumed that everyone back then was all part of it?

I guess so right? (I think i just answered my own question)

Yea, it's complete BS. We are good at ****ing things up though, i mean looks at us, we just suck at everything we try to fix.

Those guys that demand reparations or an apology are preaching to the wrong choir.
If someone whose ancestors were slave owners went around apologizing for it, i doubt many people would care. And really, slaves helped build alot of the early wealth that the colonies and eventually country had. Same with the lower-class European immigants. If you really think about it, slaves were the backbone of early America. And really, alot of African tribal leaders sold their tribesman into slavery for guns, gunpowder, and rum.
Quote by reedplaysgeetar

Well that kind of goes along with the whole "I have a black/hispanice/muslim/whatever friend, so that makes me immune to all accusations of racism."

What I'm getting at is, although racism may not be as severe, are there everyday acts of racism that few think twice about? Stereotyping?
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Let me play devil's advocate and take the opinion of the organization.

You may think it's acceptance, but in fact ignorance solves nothing. We should all be aware of racism. You may not even notice racism when it happens, and the person who does it may deny it, but it's still there. Ignoring things doesn't make them go away.

Racism isn't slavery. Racism is lumping entire cultures and ethnic groups into castes and judging based on racial profiling and stereotypes, because of the color of their skin and their genetic origins, and trying to find superiority in ones own race.

I think we need to combat racism as a society. Running around talking about slavery solves NOTHING. It only furthers the rift between different races. Half the reason racism is so abundant is because people who claim to oppose it are the only ones making race an issue.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Im confused, how the hell were you supposed to know if your ancestors had slaves or were racist? Was it just assumed that everyone back then was all part of it?

I guess so right? (I think i just answered my own question)

Yea, it's complete BS. We are good at ****ing things up though, i mean looks at us, we just suck at everything we try to fix.

Those guys that demand reparations or an apology are preaching to the wrong choir.

No you're just supposed to know a little something about your family history.
Quote by humperdunk
No you're just supposed to know a little something about your family history.

Well my family has been here since the Mayflower landed, so I'm nearly positive that they not only had slaves, but treated the Natives like shit as well. But I don't feel guilty about that, because I had nothing at all to do with it.
Almost everyone in history participated in slavery. We bought Africans, Africans bought Africans, Arabs non Muslim Africans and Arabs...no one should be apologizing.

That being said, the Atlantic slave trade was the most brutal, disgusting, inhumane example of slavery ever.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Congratulations, you want a medal or a cookie?

could i get both
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

None of my ancestors owned slaves. My dad''s family is from Pennsylvania (no slavery allowed ever there) and my grandmother was like half Cherokee indian. My mom's grandparents came from Italy and Lithuania. I think this whole guilt trip thing about their ancestors owning slaves and being racist is a bunch of horse **** methinks. Is it your fault that your ancestors were racist? Even if they were alive today, would they apologize for being douchebags?
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by reedplaysgeetar

I think a lot of you are a little too serious. I LOL'ed at this.

But on topic: Yeah racism is still around. But if you think about it, it always is going to be around. Nothing we can do about it, and those people you we're talking about TS are obviously a part of the problem. They are totally ignorant.

So my solution is, everyone stop caring and discussing racism, that way maybe it will go away?

Well no go ahead and discuss it I don't care. Cause no matter what I say it will still be around, the discussion of racism.

see whut i did tahr?
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

Quote by Dirge Humani
Absolutely not.

ok then i think ill take the cookie
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Page 1 of 3