i currently have a blues junior but i want to get a louder amp. im thinking of three amp choices:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Blues Deluxe
Traynor YCV 50 blue

i play a good amount of both clean stuff and distorted stuff. mainly hendrix. no guitar store near me carries a tranynor blue but i heard it has an amazing marshall sound. what do i do?
if you are looking for a marshall sound, then why are you still looking at fender amps?

i'd go used.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
if you are looking for a marshall sound, then why are you still looking at fender amps?

i'd go used.

+1 exactly

if you want an american voiced amp (like your sweet blues jr) then go fender (or others).

if you want a british voiced amp (like marshally) then go traynor (or others).

i take it you want to gig?

and yes there are some really nice fender amps out there on-line but try and buy locally if at all possible.

;
thats the thing i dont know if i want a british voiced amp or american. i love my blues junior, its just that it isnt cutting it anymore in terms of volume. and it breaks up and is really bad at the highest volume. i love fenders bell like cleans, but i also love the overdrive of a british voiced amp. DAMMIT
Quote by Russian1
thats the thing i dont know if i want a british voiced amp or american. i love my blues junior, its just that it isnt cutting it anymore in terms of volume. and it breaks up and is really bad at the highest volume. i love fenders bell like cleans, but i also love the overdrive of a british voiced amp. DAMMIT

are you running a pedal too?

how old is the amp and the valves?

Jr is somewhat limited but -

are you wanting to gig or shatter windows or what?

+1 on Traynor as that is more mid-atlantic voiced.

huh? duh?

did i say that right Say Ocean?

;
Traynor. Seperate EQ, and according to the schematic you have both american and british voicing on channel 2 (or was that YCS series?). Im amy case, Traynor is more versatile
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
dont the places you give gigs at have the capability to mic your amp? Its hard to get a good sound without micing it too
Quote by Russian1

i went thru the same thing last year.

i had a blues jr, i really liked it but at higher volumes it was a mess. so i swapped out the speaker for weber blue dog. in an attempt to get it to od a little sooner, get it a little punchier and so it could handle the volume.

it worked to a point. i used it that way for a while, but i found i needed more versatility. i was using too many pedals with it.

so eventually i gave up. and sold it, bought a US master TVA30 head and cab. they're a hand wired amp, not really seen around too much, but exactly what i was looking for. something that sounds great low and loud, gain channel, standy by, a very versatile amp.

i never really talk it up on ug, because they are still so new, but i bet by next year, you'll all want one. just kidding.

my suggestion to you is to upgrade the amp, and get something more versatile than fender because it seems as if you're going that way anyway.

i see a LOT of HRDs and blues amps on craigs list because guys want more than one trick from their amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^ Meh I still stand by that it's a rebranded Laney. Gut pics pl0x
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
haha! HAND WIRED built in US bro
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I've opened my VC30 and it's hand-wired too

Only built by English women o_O
oh then you know it's fresh. oh this poor guy's thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Haha, heyy it's all relevant.

You'd think hand-wiring could be a positive thing, but it's pretty damn scruffy. I felt a very strong urge to tidy up the solder joints but I managed to resist
bro do the laneys look slike this really?

i actually want to know, cause we dont really have laneys anyway round here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The Power transformer is very similar, the Output transformer on the VC30 is bigger than the 'supposedly' typical one but smaller than the other one, and in my VC30 it's pretty much half-and-half - all the preamp, reverb section etc is on a similar board but the entire power section is all handwired in.
ok thanks, i do think they took the laney shell and mixed it up just enough to call it a different amp.
even still, i think im required by law to post in the laney thread at least once a week.

also i think the threadstarter would like this style of amp a lot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah they're good amps.

Just looks like Masters have sourced a different set of transformers

Might be worth looking into, especially as that enlarged OT is probably nothing but beneficial.
Quote by jj1565
i went thru the same thing last year.

i had a blues jr, i really liked it but at higher volumes it was a mess. so i swapped out the speaker for weber blue dog. in an attempt to get it to od a little sooner, get it a little punchier and so it could handle the volume.

it worked to a point. i used it that way for a while, but i found i needed more versatility. i was using too many pedals with it.

so eventually i gave up. and sold it, bought a US master TVA30 head and cab. they're a hand wired amp, not really seen around too much, but exactly what i was looking for. something that sounds great low and loud, gain channel, standy by, a very versatile amp.

i never really talk it up on ug, because they are still so new, but i bet by next year, you'll all want one. just kidding.

my suggestion to you is to upgrade the amp, and get something more versatile than fender because it seems as if you're going that way anyway.

i see a LOT of HRDs and blues amps on craigs list because guys want more than one trick from their amp.

a standy by is awesome, make sure you get one of those.

anyway, i haven't tried the traynor ycv50, but based on the 40, i'd rather have it than an HRD, no question. the blues deluxe is a little better, but still very much aimed at cleans and low gain stuff... considering you need od as well, i'd look elsewhere to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?