Page 1 of 3
Do you think that bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix Experience, or anything that is popular still, will last 3 or 4 hundred years? We still listen to interpretations of classical composers. Will people be listening to our pop music in centuries to come?
Metallica will be.
LTD KH-602
Schecter Hellraiser C-8
Bugera 333X
Pedalboard:
Boss TU-2, HM-2
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Crybaby From Hell
Way Huge Swollen Pickel
DeviEver: Legend of Fuzz
MXR Phase 90 Script, Carbon Copy, MC-401
I dont think so. I think the fan base will just get smaller and smaller as new pop music takes over.
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Its very hard to say.. but I reckon 90% of pop music made today will just be forgotten about.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Classical is so different to Rock in so many ways that its really hard to say. I mean people will always look back to the artists who influenced their favourites, so its gotta reach back to classic rock and blues artists eventually.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Muse
Joy Divison
The Clash
NWA

Those artists IMO for sure. Maybe not in full popular culture, but still remembered amongst people.
Yeah, unless people start getting smart and realizing how mediocre those bands are.
Quote by sargasm
Yeah, unless people start getting smart and realizing how mediocre those bands are.

Thank you. Someone had to say it.
I dont even think the world will last 3 or 4 hundred years...
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
2 words: Iron Maiden
My Gear

Ibanez IC-400 Iceman
Epi Flying V

Dunlop Crybaby
EH Metal Muff
Boss Flanger
Arion "Thunder" Delay

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Fall Out Boy will.

Sad but probably true.
Quote by St.Loony
I went doctors to see if I had AIDs. Apparently all I have is this thing called hiv... So nothing to worry about
The point of this thread isn't name your favorite bands. It's if modern music will be able to last as long as the music of previous centuries.
Beatles, yes. Zeppelin, possibly. Hendrix, yes mostly cuz he was such a huge movement with where guitar has gone after him.
Pink floyd, probably not. I love floyd, but almost all their music has the whole "concept album" idea and never really had any hits.

Everybody has heard the beatles, Everybody knows that Hendrix was a huge part of musics progression. Alot of people have heard zeppelin, alot like them, but i think their time was too short lived to leave an impression lasting centuries. But for the next CENTURY (note: one century) i think they will be big for about the first 30 years, then when the rest of the band dies they will have a huge zeppelin revival type thing making them popular for a few more years. But i think that around 2080, their popularity will wear off. As for pink floyd, they will be like the sammy davis jr. of the ratpack. Not as big as Sinatra or Dean Martin because of his style of music. Much like floyd's style is different than zeppelin or other bands. I give floyd another 40 years of their popularity like it is today, and after that it will wear off.

But who knows, maybe your kids will like the music you listened to in high school, much like you might like the music your parents listened to in high school. Rock n Roll is too young to make accurate predictions about how long it will last.
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
Quote by sargasm

That's coming from a user with a David Bowie avatar. :Haha

I think they will stand the test of time, especially one that impacted music greatly. But it's all up to what music will be like in 3 - 4 hundreds years from now.
Nirvana really wasn't that amazing. No where near. Anyways, i'm done being an ass for now.

Continuing on..I feel that most bands will only be remembered by the certain fans of the music. As that guy said he will remember Nirvana, just as how I will remember Pantera, or Death.

It's hard to say who will be forgotten, and who won't be.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
That's coming from a user with a David Bowie avatar. .

Same thing that came to my mind.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
It's almost impossible to tell with Rock n Roll and Metal still in its...infancy for a lack of better words. What I think will last a very long time is bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica possibly, Black Sabbath, and possibly Dio etc.
Well, when you see what music is still relevant from three or four hundred years ago, it's mostly great composers like Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. Thus, I think that Nickelback is the only band that will be remembered 300 years from now. Maybe Floyd or Zeppelin, but I doubt it.
Quote by heamex
2 words: Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden aren't remember by mainstream society now.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Iron Maiden aren't remember by mainstream society now.

They are greatly remembered in the rock/metal community without a doubt. Mainstream society is concerned with pop songs/bands that'll die out soon enough. I don't even have to explain why the whole hype about rap will die out soon as well.
They won't after armageddon, which probably isn't to far away.

But yeah, such as Zep, Hendrix and Metallica will never be forgotten, unlike much of todays hip-hop and trance, and there is a reason for that.
The ones remembered throughout history, is music. Good music and passionate artists. That is why.

Edit: And by the way, new rock music eras will return, and same with other genres, the old stuff will be brought back with it, and it will always be kept alive. Thank god for that.
Last edited by -metalhead- at May 2, 2008,
I think Beck will be known for awhile. He's not my favourite artist or anything, but he's got some interesting tunes and he experiments alot. I think he'll be more popular after he dies.
Quote by \Powerslave/
They are greatly remembered in the rock/metal community without a doubt. Mainstream society is concerned with pop songs/bands that'll die out soon enough. I don't even have to explain why the whole hype about rap will die out soon as well.
But in order to be remembered in the future, you need to be remembered by a majority of the population.

For example, I'm a big fan of the band X. They're from the the late seventies early eighties. A lot of people in the punk community know them, but 30 years later nobody else does.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
noone has put ozzy?!?!? wtf

ozzy, jimi hendrix & the beatles (Y)
Im quite proud of that LOL

Quote by Unreal445
i found it funny that the pit reported it faster than sky news

Beneath The Fallen
I really don't think too many bands will be remembered to the level that Beethoven and Bach are. Even if you hate their music, you know who the hell they are. Sure they'll be known, but not by every person you find. I personally think artists like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, and other guitar instrumentalists will likely be remembered more than bands, if only for their own technical and composing ability. But the beginning, blues artists like Muddy Waters, and people like Hendrix will most certainly be remembered for starting the mass movement of original guitar.

As much as I love The Beatles, The Stones, Ozzy, and Zeppelin, I don't think they will hold the popular longevity of many others. But I hope to god The Doors do. . .
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
That's coming from a user with a David Bowie avatar. :Haha

David Bowie > All the bands mentioned in this thread so far.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
The good bands willbe remembered by the good fans, and the sh!tty bands will be forgotten...

For obvious reasons...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by LeeSmellyFinger
noone has put ozzy?!?!? wtf

ozzy, jimi hendrix & the beatles (Y)
Definitely no on Ozzy. He's only remembered for Crazy Train, and his MTV show.
Quote by Metal_Rich
David Bowie > All the bands mentioned in this thread so far.
+1
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
Definitely no on Ozzy. He's only remembered for Crazy Train, and his MTV show.+1

*Nucleic Fission Facepalm*

Oh, and not for being in the band that basically progenerated heavy metal?

Yeah...'bout that...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Definatly the Beatles and probably the Rolling Stones.

I think Red Hot Chili Peppers stands a fare chance simply because they have so many singles and are continuing to put out successful albums.

Really any band with 5 plus top 40 singles will probably be listened to for a while.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
*Nucleic Fission Facepalm*

Oh, and not for being in the band that basically progenerated heavy metal?

Yeah...'bout that...

Pioneering all of metal, pssh that's nothing worth being remembered for at all.
Page 1 of 3