I have a peavey xxx combo and its pretty sweet for metal and pretty much anything else, but i still cannot get the tone of the bands i like, i know i will never achieve their exact tone because of the extensive compressing and eqing they do in studio, but will a 6505 get me closer to the tones of chimaira, machine head, bullet for my valentine, because they all sound great and are endorsed with the 6505. i have tried one at guitar center but didnt get the chance to crank it at all, so i couldnt make an accurate comparison, btw im not too concerned about the cleans
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Go back and spend some more time with it. Some people like the Triple XXX better and wouldn't really consider it an upgrade. You also might want to try buying an EQ pedal or throw in a decent OD pedal to tighten up the tone and give you more tweaking options before you decide to buy a whole new amp.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Go back and spend some more time with it. Some people like the Triple XXX better and wouldn't really consider it an upgrade. You also might want to try buying an EQ pedal or throw in a decent OD pedal to tighten up the tone and give you more tweaking options before you decide to buy a whole new amp.

I actually have a ts9
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Not an upgrade at all, i think the XXX is superior because of its versatility. A Mesa Mark IV, Rectoverb, or Carvin V3 is an upgrade but IMO the 6505 isn't an upgrade, maybe a little higher gain but not enough to say its an upgrade overall.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
stick an eq in the loop, a 10 band will make the world of difference. I run one in the loop of my 40 watt combo and couldnt be happier. Ive also swapped out the stock sheffield speaker for a V30, and its made a world of difference. i think these two things are so important if you want to unlock the triple xxx's full potential.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
how does the triple xxx combo sound compared to the valveking combo? ive enver tried either of em..
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
The XXX and 6505 are two very different amps. If you aren't concerned with the cleans, definitely get one man. The XXX is a very bright high gain amp, where as the 6505 is extremely dark. Chimaira uses the 6505s, so after playing around you could get very close to their tone.

You can actually still get pretty decent cleans running a chorus pedal on the rhythm channel, especially on the 6505+.
I think you could get real close. IMO, I would go with the head versions of those amps. The larger output transformers, along with using a closed back 2x12 or 4x12 and good speakers, makes quite a difference from the combos IMO. More girth, punch, and tightness.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by rwalby9
The XXX and 6505 are two very different amps. If you aren't concerned with the cleans, definitely get one man. The XXX is a very bright high gain amp, where as the 6505 is extremely dark. Chimaira uses the 6505s, so after playing around you could get very close to their tone.

You can actually still get pretty decent cleans running a chorus pedal on the rhythm channel, especially on the 6505+.

This guy wins. Took the words right out of my mouth.

The bass response on the 6505 is definitely a lot more tight and punchy. Any kind of drop C stuff or whatever will sound awesome on it. Or at least it did when I was testing it out at guitarcenter.
Quote by Erock503
I think you could get real close. IMO, I would go with the head versions of those amps. The larger output transformers, along with using a closed back 2x12 or 4x12 and good speakers, makes quite a difference from the combos IMO. More girth, punch, and tightness.

+1

I dont like 5150 / 6505s much, they just seem harsh I never did find any* tones i liked out of it but that's just me, others swear by them I know this one guy who has about 10 5150s / 6505' / + 's.

And ive had the 5150, and 6505+, and V3. The v3 isn't a upgrade imo, I would take the XXX / 6505+ over a V3 anyday..

..Done spamming
So do you think switching out the stock speaker for a v30(or other suggestions?) would make a difference in tone for metal? especially since $89 from avatarspeakers is a great price for a celestion.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by clincher09
If anything, I say that's a downgrade.

I say nay to the Vintage 30. The amp is bright on it's own. Putting a Vintage 30 would be like icepicks to your ear.

Get something a bit darker.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Such as what?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by clincher09
Should i be looking at maybe a g12-75. thats whats in 1960's right?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by clincher09
The 6505 is biased cold as balls, which accounts for the nasty fizziness. If you swap tubes on the XXX for some JJ's and get it rebiased, you can darken it a bit and get very close to the 5150/6505 sound, but with more versatility. Also remember, it has an active EQ, so adjusting one knob affects them all
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge