I'm taking the SAT tomorrow, just in case anybody gives a damn. Any advice out there?
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Just be yourself. We'll love you no matter what your scores are.

EDIT: As with any other exam, answer the questions you know the answers to, and then spend the rest of your time scrounging for points by BSing as best as possible. Also, generally, leave the lengthy essay questions for the end and secure points in the short-answers/multiple choice questions first. Essays are just easier to rush/wrap up quick if you run out of time.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Last edited by sSyLc at May 2, 2008,
remember to guess on any answer where you can eliminate any choices. theres no penalty for guessing.

or maybe that was the AP tests. whatever, i dont give a damn anyway.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I took it a few months ago (i'm in 8th grade, it was some special invitation thing...) and I got a 1680 out of 2400. I bombed the math cause I didn't know any of it and my best was the essay, surprisingly. For me there was no pressure because it didn't count but I guess just keep calm
yeah im taking it to.....
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
me too.... bleh
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Well I'm not familiar with the SAT but i assume that math sections and stuff are similar to the ACT. The best way to achieve a high score is to move quickly through all the questions you can answer in very little time. Get all the way to the end doing the easiest questions, then return to the beginning to work some of the harder problems. Repeat this process until time is up. This will ensure that you get the most possible correct answers in the allotted time.

Doesn't really apply to things like the essay but for science and math sections, it's top notch.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
don't **** up...

but seriously, on the essay part if you find yourself running out of time just find finish w/e paragraph you are on, and start writing your conclusion. usually they want an intro- 3 main points - conclusion format, but if you are only on your second point, just go to your conclusion. from what i was told, an incomplete essay is better than an essay that isn't finished/concluded, if you know what i'm sayin.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Don't fall asleep - believe me, it might get hard not to. It's the most boring shit in the world.
it isn't as hard as it's made out to be, (at least to me it wasn't). i got 540 math and verbal and 570 writing without studying/checking/trying. although i am sort of a nerd.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

Remember, the questions go from Easiest to Hardest, in each section.

For Math, cut down the ones at the beginning, then scan the harder ones for those you know you can do; then go back and work the remaining problems out. Also, harder questions does not equal harder material, just more advanced applications of easy material. If you think about the question, it is essentially "easy".

For Verbal, the first one or two passages you can easily scan read and answer (depending on comprehension ability). This is where reading the questions first can REALLY be an aide to you, so do so.

For the essay, they grade for everything but CONTENT. They grade on your ability to express yourself coherently, thus, it is based on your ability to formulate a loose argument and ability to organize your expression in a set period of time. They do not care WHAT FORMAT YOU ORGANIZE IT IN-- AKA, 3-point essays will not win you points. They do not care if it is incomplete as long as you are attempting flawless execution for what you have.

Lastly, it's just the ****ing SAT, don't stress balls about it. It's a standardized test-- hardly a measure of intellect.

This is advice from someone who received a 2260. Take it as you will.
マリ「しあわっせはーあるいってこないだーからあるいってゆっくんだねーん 
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching

Show up early to your place, at least 30 minutes to an hour so you can settle in. Either sit near a clock or bring a watch(timing yourself should help.) Don't underestimate an outline either for the essay. I did a short, 2 minute rough outline of my "catchy intro sentence", thesis statement, and my three arguments. For the math, use your calculator. The SAT is a lot more reasoning than knowing the material (much more than ACT is to my knowledge.)

Oh and this is a big one. Yes, there are penalties, both for AP's and SAT's so if you cannot eliminate ANY answer do NOT guess. If you can eliminate one, go ahead because each wrong answer deducts 1/4 from your raw score. If you can eliminate one, statistically, you should balance out to zero and if you can eliminate more, it goes in your favor.

You may want to bring a small snack and water too. You should get a break around halfway through and food should help keep you going.
GMO INC.
I'm taking it tomorrow for the second time. I don't know if this is standard but I think we got breaks after sections 2, 5, and 8. I really need to bring a snack this time though.

Good luck!
What? I thought the max score on the SAT was a 1600?!
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.

Quote by SLD.Potato

It is, he's just that good.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by SLD.Potato

a couple of years ago it was changed to 2400 when they added the new writing section
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by SLD.Potato

Nope, it's 2400 now. Got changed a few years ago. 800 max for math, reading, and writing.
GMO INC.
Oh. I was basing this stuff off the PSAT, which didn't have the writing section.
Quote by rebelmidget

you have to express your opinion on a certain topic and defend it convincingly so yeah i guess persuasive
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Get a TI-89, contrary to popular belief, you are allowed to use them on the SAT. They can solve algebra problems with you and are great for finishing trig problems in a quick fashion giving you more time on more difficult questions.

On the writing, just stick to your basic 5 paragaph essay format. Remember to include some type of thesis statement in your introduction and in your last paragraph tie your thought together to substantiate your thesis. Also, stay on topic!

In reading, don't absorb yourself in a passage. Skim it and if your unsure of a question refer back to the passage (big time saver!)

On the vocabulary questions, use root words to get a basic understanding of difficult words. It helps if you've taken spanish because many root words are of latin descent so knowledge of spanish in combination with english will help you identify meanings.

On the grammar type questions, read the sentence under your breath plugging in each answer, if one sounds funny to you, its probably not the correct answer.

Besides that, just get a good nights sleep, don't stress out, and remember if you can eliminate at least one answer, its a good idea to take a guess. If you cannot eliminate any answers, leave it blank as a fourth of a point is subtracted for each wrong answer.

Good luck, last time I took the test, I made 1320 (excluding the writing score)
I'm typically horrible at essays, but I have a strategy: I'm going to make sources up. Observe:

Essay Prompt: "People are capable of both good and evil. Explain:"

Just like the urban poet Ray Avalarez explored in his post-modern poem "Street Lights" every one of us has positive and negative aspects of our personalities that can come out.

Bam. Who the **** is Ray Avalarez? My pot-head friend who dropped out of high school two years ago. But according to this, he's a post-modern poet. And the scorers are none the wiser.
Quote by rebelmidget

Quote by SLD.Potato
I'm typically horrible at essays, but I have a strategy: I'm going to make sources up. Observe:

Essay Prompt: "People are capable of both good and evil. Explain:"

Just like the urban poet Ray Avalarez explored in his post-modern poem "Street Lights" every one of us has positive and negative aspects of our personalities that can come out.

Bam. Who the **** is Ray Avalarez? My pot-head friend who dropped out of high school two years ago. But according to this, he's a post-modern poet. And the scorers are none the wiser.

That kind of stuff is lame!!!!!

But I'd do it if I absolutely had to.

Using well known material, I feel, is more impressive, but as long as whatever it is, as long as it is well written, it should not matter.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
If it is like the AP persuasive essays, then I'm gonna rock it. I get 9's and 8's on them all the time.

It is sort of.

It is much less based on proof.

EDIT: Alright, please read my post for the essay. It is not proof based, you do not have a ****ing excerpt, you need only use things you can exemplify-- the more obvious, the better.

EDIT: SLD, you have it correct. Bull****ting the proof is just as effective.
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching

Last edited by culex-knight at May 2, 2008,
Quote by culex-knight
It is sort of.

It is much less based on proof.
So I don't have to use a ton of outside information? Explaining my own point of view then?

This is my first time taking it. I'm not studying for it at all (I never study for anything, unless I feel I absolutely have to). I figure if I need a better score, I'll just take it again next year.
I meant that the proof need not be as thick and as well demonstrated as an AP Lit/Eng essay. It is more of the execution that you need be concerned of.

EDIT: Basically, if you're good at AP essays, you'll be fine. Just ^^^^^ applies.
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

Last edited by culex-knight at May 2, 2008,