When you re-paint a guitar do you need to sand it down to wood or just sand it to get the first 1 or 2 layers off? because I've almost completly sanded my guitar down to wood... and if it matters at all I'm going from a brown/yellow sunbust to full black with a holofinish
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
Congradulations, you are a genious even if you are intoxicated.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
lucky bastard and your knowlegde of chemical engineering...

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

:stickpoke why dose yellow hate blue? WHY!
Last edited by 1337Gu1tar at May 3, 2008,
It's good form to sand it all the way back. Would you like to have your car resprayed professionally and then find out the old paintjob was still underneath? I'm guessing no.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Some people sand through a bunch of the finish and leave some of it, and use that as a primer, but I think sanding it down all the way is a better idea.

What kind of finish are you going to put on this?

Also, does you guitar already have a figured top for some kind of sunburst?

Dang, you are one helpful person!

I'm putting a full black finish on it glossy if possible and on the frount I'm putting a holofinish l(ook here) as for if its figured for a sunburst i cant help you there, I dont know what that means...
Quote by Pikka Bird
It's good form to sand it all the way back. Would you like to have your car resprayed professionally and then find out the old paintjob was still underneath? I'm guessing no.

I don't really have a car sense im 15... but I get what your saying
Just bored, haha.

Looks cool!
Any idea as to what kind of clear coat it's gonna be? There's a good number of refinished threads using acrylic lacquer here, by a user named Ippon. He does great stuff. Acrylic lacquer is also one of the more accessible finishes you can use, plus, it comes in a can, it doesn't take as long as nitrocellulose to cure!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Just bored, haha.

Looks cool!
Any idea as to what kind of clear coat it's gonna be? There's a good number of refinished threads using acrylic lacquer here, by a user named Ippon. He does great stuff. Acrylic lacquer is also one of the more accessible finishes you can use, plus, it comes in a can, it doesn't take as long as nitrocellulose to cure!

which ever is the one that doesn't take 4mounths to harden is it polythuristain or am i thinking of somthing else?
You mentioned not being familiar with the term "figured". For future reference, figured wood is stuff like flamed and quilted maple. Birdseye and burl generally get thrown in with those, but are not actually figured woods.

And as said, look into Ippon's advice. He's a standup dude.
oh you mean that annoying sh*t that takes forever to sand of because its like some sort of underlying design... yeah i had that, not anymore
A design? Probably not... Flamed maple is this. Quilted maple is this. It's not something most people generally want to get rid of.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Have you told us what guitar it is?

I have no idea honestly but I'm almost certain its a tele/tele copy or somthing stratish
Alright i'm gonna use an aerosol laqquer how long should that take tosry would you say?
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
Congradulations, you are a genious even if you are intoxicated.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
lucky bastard and your knowlegde of chemical engineering...

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

:stickpoke why dose yellow hate blue? WHY!