Page 1 of 2
Well anyways, were putting a band together and were just waiting for a reply from someone who may play bass, and we need to find a singer.. Just wondering if you guys have any tips and what songs we should play
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Hey there Delilah.

c'mon, you know it's a good idea!

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Tip:
-At the end of your song take off your guitars and bases and and smash them on the floor or against the amp. Even if you suck people will think you're cool and then maybe you'll win.

It worked for Muse.
Just play what you guys enjoy....
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Philip_pepper
Tip:
-At the end of your song take off your guitars and bases and and smash them on the floor or against the amp. Even if you suck people will think you're cool and then maybe you'll win.

It worked for Muse.

And video tape it.

and give it to us. for teh lulz.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
anyone want to give a serious reply? (besides zeppelinpage, ty)
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Play something everyone would know. Don't try to be cool and play something obscure.

It's best to try and be a little campy and play classic rock. A song that people know the words to. It helps you connect with the audience better.

Maybe..

Boston - More Than a Feeling
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper

Or any one hit wonder from the 90's.

It's a battle of the bands. You shouldn't take anything too serious. Just have fun with the crowd.
oh , another thing, some other guys want to make it competitive so.. i want a good shot at it.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
In before I Cum Blood.

However, I often see people suggesting songs that are from the guitar hero franchise just because they have become more popular that way. So, Sweet Child 'O Mine maybe....?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Play some AC/DC. Bon Scott era stuff.

And yes, plenty of shit from Guitar Hero - particularly "Woman," "Mississippi Queen," and "YYZ."
Get some brass players and make a Ska band. Worked for us, plus ska is the most fun to play ever.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
well it depends if u want something heavy id go with a metallica song. but if it was like a rock song something modern like bloc party
If your planning to play covers, maybe do more obscure b-side type songs that general people wouldn't know. And also maybe doing a fairly well known song in a different genre than the original could be cool too.
Make sure to do a soundcheck, as bad sound can often ruin those things, and sometimes school shows like that can overlook that.
And most importantly, get completely hammered before hand, it can work well, and if you suck you have an excuse.
Well were not into death metal, but we will play a metal and maybe a heavy metal song if its good, and we only have a month or a bit more to practice so nothing too hard
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
i wouldn't reccomend ska right away cause unless you're all killer musicians it'll be really hard to bring everyone together.

just go for the crowd pleasers....the more you stand out to them at a battle the better off you'll do
Quote by KennySG
Well were not into death metal, but we will play a metal and maybe a heavy metal song if its good, and we only have a month or a bit more to practice so nothing too hard
Do you have an organ player at your disposal?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
nope.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Quote by KennySG
nope.
Sucks, that rules out about 30% of some really great live songs.....
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew

However, I often see people suggesting songs that are from the guitar hero franchise just because they have become more popular that way. So, Sweet Child 'O Mine maybe....?

I think that's a good idea. I don't play that game but I know everyone else does. I think that would get everyone going.

Maybe some Radiohead.
I suggest playing a song that you connect with. Keep it varied as well. Say for instance, play one song that everyone will know as the guy above me suggested. But keep it to one song. And then play something different.
I have judged a few battle of the bands myself, and thats what I look for. A band that has choosen a variety of songs, not limiting themselves to set genres or styles. But I also pick the bands that can fish out songs that really do mean something to them, and that then can ommit itself from the performance. If you play a song you don't really care that much about, the judges will tell. The audience couldn't give two bollox's, so its up to you. Please the audience by playing songs that everyone can tune into quickly, or play something meaningful to yourself, something the judges can spot and identify as being of good quality and emotion.
Don't try and be different, don't try and angry, don't try and force anything out, just be yourselves and jump around as if you really want to. The buzz will either will come to you and the judges will see that and resipricate by giving you high marks, or they will see it as mere stage antics.
well unless theyre really relying on the piano, we could still probably do them..
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
I Cum Blood - Cannibal Corpse

In all seriousness, take a song off GH, that'll get the crowd going. Or, just do something you all know and enjoy playing.
Wing it.... that's what we did last Friday at our school's equivalent of Battle of the Bands and we won it
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by KennySG
well unless theyre really relying on the piano, we could still probably do them..
Of course, you don't need one, but they add a lot to some songs.

Also if you're looking for something easy(and sticking with the Guitar Hero idea), go with Sunshine of Your Love....
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Just play what you guys enjoy....

NO. play what they like, then win, then play what you enjoy.

j/k, play what you enjoy.
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
whos it by? and what other songs did you do [thankyougermany]
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Quote by KennySG
whos it by? and what other songs did you do [thankyougermany]
I think he means improvise, not an actual song called "Wing It"
Quote by Teh Forest King
rofl, xD my bad.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Quote by KennySG
rofl, xD my bad.

If you're wondering we did "What I Got" by Sublime. We never practiced it at all and I improvised a solo and such. They wanted an encore....

Although all the other bands at my school suck, I must say. And we aren't really even a band.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
lmao, actually one girl told me to do that one, so i guess it does work
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
play what you wanna play, **** the crowd.

and if you really enjoy yourself while doing it they'll enjoy watching it. just like my band back in school playing all these 80's covers from bands like judas priest and iron maiden, no body had ever heard them before but the songs were awesome and we covered pretty well so we won two years in a row.
Quote by \Powerslave/
I Cum Blood - Cannibal Corpse

In all seriousness, take a song off GH, that'll get the crowd going. Or, just do something you all know and enjoy playing.

TS said In before I Cum Blood. So I leave you to the Pit. They will decide what to do with you.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
TS said In before I Cum Blood. So I leave you to the Pit. They will decide what to do with you.
Actually, I did
Quote by Teh Forest King
im not playing i cum blood.. death metal = no
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Quote by Just Andrew
Actually, I did

Ah ****. I think it still counts.

Mike O'Malley: Let's go to Mo for the official ruling! Mo!

Mo: *Australian accent* Well Mike, it looks like the judges have ruled that the decision still stands.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
what.. :s
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Quote by Corpus
I think that's a good idea. I don't play that game but I know everyone else does. I think that would get everyone going.

Maybe some Radiohead.

+1 on the radiohead
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
Page 1 of 2