Page 1 of 2
I do believe that jimi hendrix is the god of guitar and rock but I just heard today at this guitar shop in my town, a guy playing voodoo child perfectly by jimi. I can kinda play purple haze usng the tab in the 100 tabs. So is he still the best gitarist even though people can play his songs with some sort of ease. Just imagine if he was alive today, he would flip out at the of the new tech. He would be going crazy.
Okay.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Erm...

I disagree with the "king" statement, and I can play his catalogue with extreme ease, and find his "emotional stuff" to be just blues lines with him make a wanker face.

If anyone dead from the 60's-80's was alive, they wouldn't "flip" as they would be part of the ever-growing technology that happened in the 90's.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Old news. It's not the fact that he can play it, it's that he created it.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by FireandFlames
No, Simba is king.

*Bows*
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Jimi Hendrix sucks.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
i think hendrix would def be doing some crazy **** with newer equip but im not sure if he'd have the same mantra if he survive till today. im just saying that people tend to get a lot more attention in death than in life
Quote by shreddedstrings
I do believe that jimi hendrix is the god of guitar and rock but I just heard today at this guitar shop in my town, a guy playing voodoo child perfectly by jimi. I can kinda play purple haze usng the tab in the 100 tabs. So is he still the best gitarist even though people can play his songs with some sort of ease. Just imagine if he was alive today, he would flip out at the of the new tech. He would be going crazy.

*Prepares silver arrow to your heart*

Jimi, while great, is disgustingly overrated. You know. Like Nirvana. Both are great. But they arent all that. They're just a bag of chips.
Quote by FireandFlames
No, Simba is king.

Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba

Sithi uhm ingonyama
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
he was never the best guitarist, but he was always the best songwriter/musician.
Quote by athlete1
he was never the best guitarist, but he was always the best songwriter/musician.

I disagree.
Even in jimi's day there were people who could play his songs.... I dont think he would care. Its the act of how good the writing of the song is, not how many people can play it which makes a guitarist good.
Quote by athlete1

I also disagree. What a bold statement my boy.
Quote by Våd Hamster
This is why we can't have good things.

+1

Kids today.

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Lame thread is lame.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Anyone can play his songs if you practise them enough, but not everyone can create that kind of sound almost 40 years previously. With so little at his disposal, he created mind bending stuff that is still relevant fourty years later. Same with EVH or Joe Satriani. I know 17 year olds who can shred as fast as Satriani, but they can't write riffs or solos at all. Its someone creative abilities that puts someone higher in guitar standards, not his speed. I don't understand those people who put the Herman Li as the best guitarist on the planet. Is it his speed, Al Di Meoloa is just as fast? Is it his attitude, Sam Totman has the same attitude? Is it his crazy sounds, Steve Vai creates some seriously weird noises, without effects pedals?!
The best guitarists on the planet are the most important ones.
Hendrix is a great, but certainly not for his speed or technical ability. Hendrix is great because he was a revolutionary guitarist. He and partly Clapton were two of the first to change the general sound of the guitar, especially from primarily a rhythm instrument to a instrument more often used to play lead.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
Pfff, Randy Rhoads > Jimi Hendrix

Hendrix is seriously overrated. Sure, he was good, but he wasn't the best. He was terribly sloppy, and really generic. Though, he did create some interesting effects. That is really his main contribution to music I think.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
i definatly agree that Jimi was the best rock electric guitarist of our time (for his contributions as well as his playing on his later albums) , but if he lived onto the 70s and 80s i think he wouldnt be able to keep up with people like Rhoads and Malmsteen (well malmsteen wouldntreally be around). hed probably do some pretty cool **** tho.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
people dont love hendrix because his music was technically difficult. no one really cares about technical difficulty, except a small portion of guitarists. the reason everyone loves jimi hendrix so much is that his guitar playing sounds better than anyone else's. listen to vai, or satriani. sure, its impressive that they can move their fingers that fast, but the music as a whole doesnt sound good. again, except for the shredding fanboys, no one wants to listen to it. technical difficulty is nothing. all that matters is which guitar sounds best. and jimi's guitar sounds best.
Quote by SupremeACL
really generic.
no. jimi was first, then people copied him ad nausium.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
people dont love hendrix because his music was technically difficult. no one really cares about technical difficulty, except a small portion of guitarists. the reason everyone loves jimi hendrix so much is that his guitar playing sounds better than anyone else's. listen to vai, or satriani. sure, its impressive that they can move their fingers that fast, but the music as a whole doesnt sound good. again, except for the shredding fanboys, no one wants to listen to it. technical difficulty is nothing. all that matters is which guitar sounds best. and jimi's guitar sounds best.

exactly, he was an all around amazing guitarist, he could improv like no one else, he was versitle, he did rock, proto metal, jazz, blues, ballads, if he lived hed probably be doing neo classical as well, he was an amazing inovater, and he developed better chops towards the end of his career (electric lady land and band of gypsies) even if his older stuff was kind of sloppy. It all has to do with the time he was in.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
exactly, he was an all around amazing guitarist, he could improv like no one else, he was versitle, he did rock, proto metal, jazz, blues, ballads, if he lived hed probably be doing neo classical as well, he was an amazing inovater, and he developed better chops towards the end of his career (electric lady land and band of gypsies) even if his older stuff was kind of sloppy. It all has to do with the time he was in.

yea, i would love to hear hendrix trying out some shredding. i bet it would blow any of these guys nowadays out of the water. that would be shredding worth listening to.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by SupremeACL
Pfff, Randy Rhoads > Jimi Hendrix

Hendrix is seriously overrated. Sure, he was good, but he wasn't the best. He was terribly sloppy, and really generic. Though, he did create some interesting effects. That is really his main contribution to music I think.

nah, Rhoads had great chops, but he couldnt improv, hed work at his solos for hours, which is great, he put a lot of time into it, but improv is a skill in its own. Also he wasnt much of a rythm player, a lot of his rythms where just half assed barre chords. Jimi was an amazing rythm player. Also it seems that Rhoads either had to have more distortion than anyone else or a classical guitar to make it work. I couldnt see him doing well with a stratocaster hooked up to a tube amp, allthough ive never heard jimi on acoustic. Its hard to tell what these guys WOULD HAVE done because they had such short careers so im just judging them on what they DID do and i think Hendrix is just a better electric player.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
nah, Rhoads had great chops, but he couldnt improv, hed work at his solos for hours, which is great, he put a lot of time into it, but improv is a skill in its own. Also he wasnt much of a rythm player, a lot of his rythms where just half assed barre chords. Jimi was an amazing rythm player. Also it seems that Rhoads either had to have more distortion than anyone else or a classical guitar to make it work. I couldnt see him doing well with a stratocaster hooked up to a tube amp, allthough ive never heard jimi on acoustic. Its hard to tell what these guys WOULD HAVE done because they had such short careers so im just judging them on what they DID do and i think Hendrix is just a better electric player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQBbgb_Lvo
Quote by Flying Couch

interesting, thats kind of what id expect him to sound like on acoustic. i wonder what hed be like in shred. I dont think hed have the chops to blow all the guys out of the water but hed definatly write a great shred album or two.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
There's no such thing as "greatest guitarist".
I'm a communist. Really.
People have got to remember that hendrix and clapton (even page and gilmour to an extent) created all those sounds with their guitars and effects pedals, only a couple of years after the revolution of the guitar (circa 1965, i believe, with bands such as cream and hendix experience). Fourty years on, guitarists cant get sounds that sound as unique as those. So why did it take them 2 years to do yet today guitarists struggle to emulate their feats.

And another pet peeve of mine. SRV and Satriani and Malmsteen, all those guitarists around today who are made into heroes and gods, do not compare with hendrix and clapton, for one major reason. They're only fans are people interested in guitar. Hendrix and clapton were mainstream artists who achieved success not with just guitarists but the with the majority of all music lovers.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by FireandFlames
No, Simba is king.

lulz that made my day
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley