My band is falling apart... Our rythym guitarist is blowing us off whenever we practice, we haven't played a show since January, and we're all going to different colleges (with the exception of my drummer and I.)

My roommate plays guitar and were thinking of starting a new band at College of Charleston. I'm kind of burnt out on playing bass though, I wanna play lead instead... My drummer is going to Trident which is practically adjacent to the Charleston campus.

Do you think it will be easy to find someone willing to play bass? I can give them my old one and I have a Gallien-Kreuger stack.

Just being from a small town, I'm wondering if its as hard to find decent bass players in bigger cities...

EDIT: I guess I also want to ask, is anyone here going to be near Charleston? Or is anyone going to school at CofC, Trident, or Charleston Southern?
Bass players should be relatively easy to find in a decent- sized city like Charleston... but lead guitarists should be even easier to find. I'd look for both, to be honest, unless you feel like if you have to continue playing bass you might kill yourself. You might find a really good bass player, or you might find an amazing guitarist, who knows?

There IS a Bandleading forum, though.
My bad... can you move threads?

Yeah, I suppose thats good advice. I guess I'm just an attention ***** who wants to play lead and sing...
You're no better than Billy Corgan.....
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
make sure to play an epic final gig. and make sure its epic.

And kill the rhythm guitarist at the end.
We walked into the night

Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed

Is for you?
Also, with a can of beans and a cleverly placed microphone, you can replace any bassist.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Ha to the Billy Corgan reference and your right. I'd be happy playing bass still, I'd just rather play guitar.

As to an epic gig, we have a show lined up at a pretty big venue in July (Headliners Mainstage.) I think thats as 'epic' as things will get. It does have balcony seats and bars though. I just hope my band and the other bands can bring in enough people to fill it.

EDIT: To the post below, after I started becoming comfortable with slap bass, I did what I and my band thought was a tight little bass solo of palm muted guitar, yet no one seemed to notice after fact.

I guess I should just quit being a lil bitch and stop caring though.
Last edited by elementwood89 at May 2, 2008,
I personally think you should stick to bass. we need more bass players on this earth! Take a new approch to it like i did. Approach it like Billy Sheehan John Myung Les Claypool or John Entwhistle. Take it out of the back and into the front. In some songs have a bass solo instead of a gutiar player. Steve Vai, Dream Theater, the Who and Primus did that. Why not you? SHOW EM WHAT US BASS PLAYERS CAN DO!! *says that with scottish accent*
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
I do want to applaud you, however, for staying in school. I know a guy from an 80s band called Tora Tora who was once a millionaire as a musician and now works maintenance. You should always have a backup plan.

Jeff

Quote by elementwood89
Ha to the Billy Corgan reference and your right. I'd be happy playing bass still, I'd just rather play guitar.

As to an epic gig, we have a show lined up at a pretty big venue in July (Headliners Mainstage.) I think thats as 'epic' as things will get. It does have balcony seats and bars though. I just hope my band and the other bands can bring in enough people to fill it.

EDIT: To the post below, after I started becoming comfortable with slap bass, I did what I and my band thought was a tight little bass solo of palm muted guitar, yet no one seemed to notice after fact.

I guess I should just quit being a lil bitch and stop caring though.

just make funky groovy basslines that will make people go. DUDE! Thats awesome! And during your gigs turn the bass up! Like Rush. bass always atands out. Make it always stand out. What i mena by bass solo is shred that bass! show em how fast you can go and bass players are just as equal as guitar players.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Last edited by SoftParade1967 at May 2, 2008,