i have a problem with not being able to stick to one song and learn it all the way through, i will just learn a few parts, then either reach a part i can't play, or get bored and move on, does anyone else have this same problem?

also, what are some simple, yet enjoyable songs i should give a shot to play all the way through? im not too particular on the kind of music, im trying to stay diverse, so anything from old rock, to metal, just something i'd be able to finish.
Turquoise Team Beasts!
If you know anyone who plays any of the instruments that can complement your part (drums, bass, guitar, etc) I suggest that you play the song together - it'll help complete the missing parts that you needed to make the song stick and hey maybe you'll decide to start a band. In any case it's normal to get discouraged when trying to learn through songs, I'm sure it happens to most everyone including me.

You can try songs that only needs one instrument to sound complete if you know what I mean. I had some trouble completing lead parts because parts of the songs would become mundane, so instead I tried some songs designed for a rhythm guitarist, most of which were intended for an acoustic guitar. But hey, I just crank down the gain and stick it to clean. Other than that I try to mix lead and rhythm parts together so that the song sounds familiar, which helps get the feel of the music. That's all I can give you; this is how I get through songs.

*EDIT* I haven't tried it myself, but if you can keep up with the song itself, play along. I don't really do this because it becomes a hassle to reset the song if I mess up.
Last edited by novafx at May 2, 2008,
Maybe you need to look around and find more music you enjoy listening to first?
I made you a cookie but I eated it.
I have the same problem, I have like 100 song tabs/chords printed out. My problem is I hear a song I like, mess with it for a couple minutes, usually get frustrated, then go to another song. I'm frustrated as well.
I have the exact same problem and I always thought it was just me. I'll be learning a song and I'll come across a part I can't get right, or I just don't quite get how it works with the song, even if its something simple, such as palm muting or complicated chord progressions. Most of the time I'll look at the tab for a solo and I'll see something I don't get, and I just turn away and look up another tab. I often stick to simple songs with simple power chord progressions and maybe a small solo (example is Green Day's
Waiting") but, I don't really like playing songs like that - I like playing songs with a cool lead, I just never devote myself. It's always been like that for me, the only song I've learned all the way through and I've really put effort into learning the whole thing is Sweet Child O' Mine. All the others are a bit sketchy...
Nova fx has it right...learn solo arrangements and instrumentals where the entire song can be played by one instrument. Try surf and rockabilly stuff. Being able to play the song's chord progression is more important than being able to imitate the solo, which is usually improvised anyway.
Quote by wildyoda2
Nova fx has it right...learn solo arrangements and instrumentals where the entire song can be played by one instrument. Try surf and rockabilly stuff. Being able to play the song's chord progression is more important than being able to imitate the solo, which is usually improvised anyway.

Bada Bing, he's got it.
The times they are a changin'.....