I'm trying out for my school's jazz band. It consists of about 20 or so various musicians, trombonists, saxophonists, pianists, guitarists, drummer, etc. The tryout is in a few weeks. What is an impressive, yet somewhat quick to learn and master song or bass solo I could learn quickly. I would rather it not be incredibly difficult, as I don't have that much time, and my only competition for the bass position is someone who is widely touted as bad. Any recommendations for something to learn?
Anything with a walking bass line. I doubt they're going to want to hear Billy Sheehan or something. Just show you can keep the pulse and that you can read notes.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
dude learn behind the sun by the red hot chili peppers!!!!!!!
the intro is awsome for bass
or any chili pepper song
me and my friends
lol try buckethead's robot trasnsmission
happy birthday.
then slapped happy birthday
then do an octave up 'happy birthday to you'
bend it on 'to'
they'll smile, laugh, but be impressed
you'll stick out too
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Super easy and fun song:
School Days - Stanley Clarke
The solo is a nice rythem show, too. uber easy. I learned it and had it down in like... and hour (just that one end part of the solo ****s me up every time)
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Play some walking bass lines, that is one of the main things they'll be looking for
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Yeah, walking is something they'll be looking for. If you want to play in the jazz band, it would behoove you to learn how to improvise a bassline just from looking at the chords. Don't play some pop, rock, or prog song at a jazz audition. Trust me, it's not what they're looking for.
ts a bit punky, but look at maxwell murder by rancid.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
donna lee by jaco, just the head
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Pictures Of Home - Deep Purple

Or just find a good walking line, and play that. Jazz people are suckers for walking bass lines.
The.
Walking lines are fairly unimpressive to be honest. A quarter note based line isn't that difficult to read or perform, so I might think different. A good idea is to play a head of a song that sounds good, remember they're not looking for amazing skillz, they're looking for someone who has good basic skills and can swing.
I'd go for a pretty standard jazz line with a fill or two, and then a second piece to show off your chops, like YYZ.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
just an idea, why not try and write your own bassline using the blues scale?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Perhaps some Led Zep songs, since J Paul-Jones was a big fan of the blues scale, but threw in some finger twisters along the way. A good example is The Lemon Song from II, but I dont know whether you'd want to learn all of that...
Ignore Flagrare, The chances of you ever playing black sabbath or the like in a jazz band resembles a windows chances against a brick

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Walking lines are fairly unimpressive to be honest. A quarter note based line isn't that difficult to read or perform, so I might think different. A good idea is to play a head of a song that sounds good, remember they're not looking for amazing skillz, they're looking for someone who has good basic skills and can swing.

I agree with this but it is important to show you can play a walking bassline.

Also bring in some sheet music to play as well - i reckon if i was auditioning somone that's what i'd be looking for, some one who can read sheet music
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Download the second version of the song Anyway from This Website Just scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the link for downloads. Totally free and takes under a minute, it should appear in your iTunes library if you have one.

If you can play the bass solo at 6:30 you're awesome (PS: Listen to the whole solo. It's not extremely long but it gets crazy, to me anyway...)
Last edited by O-52-A-50-R at May 3, 2008,