They are fantastic for everything but metal. It can handle hard rock, blues, and all of your other needs but will need an overdrive or distortion for your modern metal tones.
Gear:
70s Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM Strat
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Mesa Express 5:50
Fender NOS Blues Junior
Line 6 PodXT Live
If you leave the contour channel on at all times it can definitely handle metal. Thats what the other guitarist in my band has and its fine. We play as heavy as opeth and stuff. but an od never hurts.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
It can do most metal, but if you're trying to get some extreme death metal tones, you may want to look elsewhere. It really isn't the mini-Rectifier some people seem to want. It is a great amp, though, if you know what you are getting.
Gear:
70s Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM Strat
Fender NOS Blues Junior
Line 6 PodXT Live
Quote by TeleDude47
It can do most metal, but if you're trying to get some extreme death metal tones, you may want to look elsewhere. It really isn't the mini-Rectifier some people seem to want. It is a great amp, though, if you know what you are getting.
Then I think Ill just go all out and get a rectifier.
yea, to be honest, my F-50 has more gain on tap then the express series though...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by FRDesign
Then I think Ill just go all out and get a rectifier.

Get a Road King. Much better choice.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Get a Road King. Much better choice.

Also three times the cost of the Express by the time he gets the cabinet.
Gear:
70s Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM Strat
Fender NOS Blues Junior
Line 6 PodXT Live
Quote by TeleDude47
Also three times the cost of the Express by the time he gets the cabinet.

Just a suggestion!
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FRDesign
But does the roadking have engough gain?

Road King has just as much gain as a recto.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Its got more than enough for pretty much everything.
Gear:
70s Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM Strat
Fender NOS Blues Junior
Line 6 PodXT Live
Quote by FRDesign
lol I got the Road King mixed up with the Lone star. I knew the Road king did.

Lol, it's ok. I use an OD with the RK too. It really makes it a whole different amp.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Yeah, you could definitely get some good metal tones out of the Express if you got a good OD pedal.
Gear:
70s Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM Strat
Fender NOS Blues Junior
Line 6 PodXT Live
I honestly hated the Express when I tried it.

Yes, I guess I'm biased having owned a F series, which is what they replaced, because of the fact that it has so much more gain on tap, but come on, if you're going to replace something with a different amp and then say that amp is like a recto on its gain channel, at least make it true. The only cool the Express had going for it (imo) is the ability to switch down to 5 watts, everything else I thought the F series was superior in.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Didn't care for the express either. Had it for a weekend just didn't cut it.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by MatrixClaw
I honestly hated the Express when I tried it.

Yes, I guess I'm biased having owned a F series, which is what they replaced, because of the fact that it has so much more gain on tap, but come on, if you're going to replace something with a different amp and then say that amp is like a recto on its gain channel, at least make it true. The only cool the Express had going for it (imo) is the ability to switch down to 5 watts, everything else I thought the F series was superior in.

i wouldnt say i hate the express, but i definitely love my F-50 more than my other guitarist's express 5:50...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals