I posted this at another forum I vist but figured the people of UG might like to see it. Its all about orgainzing your workbench, its primarily for elec geekers but meh....

Hi there guys. This is my contribution to the forum. I always seeing people asking about how organize their stuff and since I am a fairly organized guy I thought Id share how I do it.

Ill show you how when I get stuff like this in I keep it all organized...

First off here is my workbench. I find the key to organization is space. Its hard to be organized when your cramped. I built the bench then covered it with some neat foam stuff. Taped to the wall you can see a list of about 100 pedals that I want/need to build.

I like to use lots of storage boxes. I get them from Ikea and Canadian Tire they are cheap and great for storing components.

This is the first storage compartment. I like to use these guys for storing common value components or parts I have a lot of. Labelling each little drawer is key. On a side note I love that vintage style cloth wire, solid core is so easy to work with.

Here's the second storage box. The top is full of resistors. The bottom is amp building supplies, switches, jacks knobs and more.

Moving onto the middle of the bench...Here is another storage box. I keep uncommon resistors, caps in here. I also put my semiconductors, hardware (DC jacks, nuts etc), wire and pots in the drawers. Please ignore the funny scribbles, I was very young and had a rock/shell collection. I keep all components that are the same in little plastic baggies that are labelled. I use the ones Steve from Smallbear sends me mainly. This is not only keeps things tidy but it is also eco friendly. Beside the big box is a smaller box. This box also for resistors but for 30K and above, the other one is for below 30K. This makes it easy to find a resistor. Its either a common value and in the big storage containers or its in the + or - 30K box.

Now this is very helpful for me. A stock-list. I am constantly referring to this. It tells me what resistors and caps I have and in what value, material and wattage. I always know when I am running low. With it I don't have to go through tons of resistors to find out I don't have a 3.9K resistors.

Over here we got lots of circuits that need boxing up/testing/tweaking. The enclosure beside them are eagerly awaiting some circuits.

Another useful organization tool and only $10 at Ikia...Bargin! With this paper holder ma bob I don't have papers scattered all over the place. At the top there you can see a big plastic bag filled with smaller bags. Of course all the bags inside are sorted by size. I keep all the baggies I get with orders in there, they are great for keeping parts together and shipping parts.

Always good to know where your tools are. The other drawers are filled with transformers and tubes and a random crap drawer.

I like to keep all my bread-boarding stuff together. Inside that box I have 2 more boards and lots of hookup wire. Behind it is random stuff, ya.

To keep the carpet clean I have a drill press in another basement room that dosent have carpet. Much eaiser to clean up metal shavings there rather then in a thick carpet.

And that's how I keep things organized. It might seem like a giant pain to sort through all your stuff but it saves you lots of time when your actually building. Hoped that helped some of you out. ;D

Chris
Last edited by kurtlives91 at May 2, 2008,
Nice thread. Has quite a few useful ideas. I honestly wouldn't have thought it would be useful to keep a stock list. I still love your drawer that says "There are good and bad rocks and shells in here."
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
thats awesome. im the least organized person in the world.
on a side note, do you ever build pedals/amps for sale?
my band is beginning to get sort of big and im a very serious player, i would love to find a pedal maker who builds classic pedals with new ideas, a sort of i scratch your back, you scratch mine kind of thing.

anyways. this is really a great workplace. you should start a business (if you havent yet)
If your parts list gets bigger, you might want to start an Excel spreadsheet.
Quote by kurtlives91

Chris, If you are going to take a picture, make your bed first!!!

/ Mom.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Wow. My parts collection is extremely modest compared to yours. Do you still have time to play guitar?

I also recommend a spreadsheet. It's a lot more convenient when you have to make changes.
Last edited by mr_hankey at May 3, 2008,
Quote by mr_hankey
Wow. My parts collection is extremely modest compared to yours. Do you still have time to play guitar?

I also recommend a spreadsheet. It's a lot more convenient when you have to make changes.
Agreed! I'm nowhere near to having as many parts to track since I accumulate guitar parts instead of electronic components and Excel allows me to know immediately how many 3- or 4-piece bands I can potentially supply with guitars and basses.

a clean and organized work area is more efficient and prettier. efficiency is a good ingredient to promote successful results.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Quote by mr_hankey

Haven't played much this week as Ive been super busy with school, work and some other stuff. Usually I have lots of time to play.

I want to build a little Ruby so I can test right on the bench. Of course it wont be your standard Ruby.

It may seem like a lot of stuff but it really isn't. A lot of the stuff I got for super cheap. I also have about 7 pedals that I want to finish up now so that's why so many enclosures, switches etc..
It looks good, but I have an improvement for you.

If you mount a large piece of ply/mdf onto the wall you can attach metal clips to hold your tools, rather than have them away in drawers, which allows easier access and frees up more space.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Thanks for the tip...I don't have much wall space though and my tools are right in front of me now.

My dad did the same thing his workshop with peg board and it turned out great. I don't think it would be that useful for though. My tools are small and there aren't many of them.
^^ Holy moley. I ahve a computer desk with a soldering iron and a box of resistors and a guitar neck I was painting!
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
^ i have a tool box dedicated to my guitar making tools, one dedicated to my precision micrometers and measuring tools, a fitted case for my hand tools and a roll around box or my larger tools, cauls and files...

i dont have much for inventory... i buy when i need :\
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Thanks. I have a lot more in boxes and other drawers and shelves. I don't only work on guitar/audio projects. I need to get things better organized. Your space looks pretty tidy.

Wow, I haven't built that many pedals. You're going to be the next Zachary Vex ;-D
Some very good ideas, but I don't even own a desk. I do most of my pedal building and fixing on an old milk crate, sitting on my floor. My parts are stored in shoeboxes. One is for guitar parts, one is for pedal parts, one is for "stuff".

How does one acquire so many extra parts? Just, buying 10 of something and using 8 of them for years?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Some very good ideas, but I don't even own a desk. I do most of my pedal building and fixing on an old milk crate, sitting on my floor. My parts are stored in shoeboxes. One is for guitar parts, one is for pedal parts, one is for "stuff".

How does one acquire so many extra parts? Just, buying 10 of something and using 8 of them for years?

I have come across a bunch of deals and I do some of my buying in bulk.
hang on- ikea, wood. Something doesn't seem quite right here...

Very good thread you have here. Especially for someone here who hasn't organised any sort of physical space in months.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
cool thread..
I don't really have enough parts at a time to warrant organization cabinets or anything, but I'm sure a few little bins would be better than the jumbles of parts on the little desk in my bedroom ..
I should really start organizing my stuff..
...and start looking for bulk deals on common components; that'd be a lot easier than buying only a few parts at once/ getting whaever I can from my electronics teacher...

..and I've begun to ramble..

yes.
good thread.
organization is always helpful.
Thought this would be a funny time to updated this...

The mess I have failed...

Amp not finished, amp having no cab, tabs, layouts, a trusty tele and three not so trusty digital multi meters.

Not so fun when more than half your amps aren't or don't have cabinets.

Almost every pedal here is done but not working Tubes scattered, breadboard's a wreck.

Two amps not fully working...A Blackface Deluxe Reverb and a Valve Jr with added tremolo circuit.

More pedals lay as skew...
my god....it's....beautiful.. *tears up*...

god I'd do alot to have half of the products and resources you guys have.

I have my basement with strange insects, a soldering iron and various soldering supplies, a couple torn-apart pedals, and a few spare parts in terms of supplies. I don't even own a god damn DMM hahaha. this reminds me of how many parts i need to order from small bear.

oh well, one day...I'm hoping for a career as an electrical engineer after HS is over, and college and such...we'll see.

this is far better than guitar pr0nz.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
winnnnnnnnnnnnnn

where did you get such a comprehensive stock from?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.