Hey,
I just got my CBB Roadhouse back from my amp tech, and he installed a fresh new pair of JJ 6l6's. I love the tone, it sounds SOOO much better than my Sovtek KT66's. I haven't cranked it yet, but it sounds much more blackfacey, perhaps with a bit of an airier tone.
Anyways, I was looking at my current rig, and I essentially have a bf super reverb (the CBB is heavily based off of the SR, with a few mods and features), a strat with handwound formvar pickups, a modded tubescreamer and a clean boost.
This got me to thinking, I think I could nail SRV's tone decently well with this rig. I just need some of your guy's help.
Share with me how you think I could get an SRV-esque tone with this setup.

I understand that there is some info around the forums with amp settings and such (they're quite different, but they both have maxxed bass). But, i'm wondering more of how I should set the pedals up, and how high I should crank the amp.

Thanks very much!
I'll make sure to post clips when I do it, but it's too late now.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by colin617
Volume=10.

Strings=heavy as hell

choking rhythm technique

Well, I understood that.
Sadly, I have .9's, but I may be able to get around it.
As I said, SRV-esque. not exactly.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ I think by choking rhythm you mean to mute every string but the one you're playing? That's pretty key to the SRV tone as far as playing is concerned.

Maybe just crank it and see what you get?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by darkarbiter7
Well, I understood that.
Sadly, I have .9's, but I may be able to get around it.
As I said, SRV-esque. not exactly.

With .9's, you wont get close.

His tone isn't anything difficult. Cranked amp, heavy strings, presto..
Quote by stradivari310
^ I think by choking rhythm you mean to mute every string but the one you're playing? That's pretty key to the SRV tone as far as playing is concerned.

Maybe just crank it and see what you get?

Yes. There is a pretty good lesson on StevieSnacks dot com explaining it.
Quote by colin617
With .9's, you wont get close.

B'ah!

Dang.

Well, i'll still give it a shot nonetheless.

Strings aside, how do you think I should set the pedals up? I know technique is a very large part of his tone too, but what are some guidelines for pedals?
I also understand that I won't get his exact tone, and I'm not really looking for his exact tone. But, I do want to get around that ballpark, and use that as a starting point for my own tone.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
it should be easy. you eq wont matter too much. many times during live shows he would just turn every thing to 10, volume, treble, and bass. the key is big strings (i use 11s, it works though he used even bigger) and you must be an aggressive picker. dig in hard. i mean hard. he dug in like a mad man. people also often overlook how often he switched pickups. (i mean switched the selector, not like, replaced his pickups haha).
youve got the equipment that will get yo half way there. the rest (at least the as close as you can get) is in the technique.
btw i think he used vibroverbs more than super reverbs.

oh and btw, sound clips haha. have fun
oh and he used two tubescreamers alot. both of them didnt have much dirt dialed in, just alot of volume to push his amps even harder. basically it should be proportionate to your volume. less volume on the amp, more dirt from pedals, more amp volume, you can turn the gain down on the pedal. the latter is preffered.
^Alright. That sounds good.
Yeah, i'll do clips.
Well, my guitar isn't set up for anything higher than .10's (i've tried higher, and it just gave me problems), maybe i'll get it setup and adjusted with .11's or .12's (or maybe 13's) once I regain some cash.

I have a decently aggressive picking attack too, so that's one less thing to knock off the list.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yeah try it with 9s, you should be able to get a tone that will be SRV-esque.
i used to use 9s too, and then i went right to 11s. the jump wasnt too much, and it made me a much better player. you have to have control, if you dont, you will develop it.
^Yeah, I built up a pretty good amount of control with my stint with .10's (they feel quite a bit heavier than .09's to my hands). Then once I went back to .09's, I still have that same control, but I find it much easier to do smoother pull offs and hammer ons now.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yeah thats understandable. i have to say, im dying to hear your amp.
btw i noticed your a CHRISTIAN tone freak. you should listen to my christian/bluesy-classic-rock band in my profile. especially light a fire.
Quote by chea_man
yeah thats understandable. i have to say, im dying to hear your amp.
btw i noticed your a CHRISTIAN tone freak. you should listen to my christian/bluesy-classic-rock band in my profile. especially light a fire.

Lol, I already have.
When I was shopping for amps (back when a silverface bassman was a possibility), didn't you recommend that I listen to that song?
Sounded good, but I wasn't super impressed when I actually played it.
Well, I have a sound clip/jam with the OLD tubes in it on my profile.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
oh yeah thats right hha, sorry man.
yeah the bassman is a nice amp, i also didnt really know you were willing to spend as much as you did. im gonna listen to your clip now. im excited.
the bassman of mine isnt very versatile. its great for think od tones, but there really arent any cleans. its not my main amp though.
i want to here new clips of your amp too haha
^I will get some up tomorrow. Or the next time i'm alone by myself in the house.
Make sure to comment back once you've heard it.

I'm really excited to crank it now. Sadly, I've had a busy day, and I got back late. So, cranking the amp is in no way possible.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i just listened to the only clip you had, i loved the tone. it was sweet. i really cant wait to hear it with the new tubes.
^Yeah, there was like a dozen other clips, but they were just of me fooling around on improvs.
I know, I haven't even cranked it yet though, but I can tell that it's gonna sound good.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator