how would i go about cutting some 1/8th inch thick sheet metal? what kind of equipment would i need?
I'm not entirely sure, but I would say maybe something along the lines of a plasma cutter, or perhaps an oxygen/acetylene torch.
the plasma cutter sounds like something out of Hitler's world domination handbook. ill go with the butter knife idea.
wtf are you talking about? i OWN a plasma cutter lol. Thats what my first choice would be, very simple to use. An oxy torch would work just as well though.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
you apparently own hitler's world domination handbook. the butter knife sounds like the best idea.
Plasma cutter or oxygen torch would be the best thing to use. You could use a mitre saw, but it wouldn't work as well. Why do you need sheet metal? Are you making armour?
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live I will kill you."
"If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of honour.
I'm a welder by trade. An oxy-fuel torch *may* distort the metal from the heat but thats what a plasma cutter is meant for is thin gauge material. I'd prefer a plasma cutter.

EDIT: What kind of metal is it? Steel or aluminum or something else?
Last edited by VictoriaBassist at May 2, 2008,
Quote by ManWithoutAHat
Plasma cutter or oxygen torch would be the best thing to use. You could use a mitre saw, but it wouldn't work as well. Why do you need sheet metal? Are you making armour?

actually i'm developing a new MMORPG called "life" and we're gunna need some armor.

but in all seriousness, i'm modifying my double bass pedals on my drumkit to resemble axis longboards(so i dont have to spend 400 dollars on real longboards.)
What type of metal? And how large of a cut?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
What type of metal? And how large of a cut?

the piece im working with is 2 inches wide x 36 inches long x 1/8th inch thick.

i need to cut two pieces from it, both 7 inches long x 2 inches wide.

EDIT: its cold rolled steel.
I haven't worked with cold rolled steel, but considering how thin it is, a plasma cutter is the best option. If you use an oxy-fuel torch you have to select the right tip size otherwise the metal may just melt back together.
You CAN also use a jigsaw and metal cutting blades, but I wouldn't recommend it because of shards and crap.
Quote by 3lusiv3
You CAN also use a jigsaw and metal cutting blades, but I wouldn't recommend it because of shards and crap.

that ok, i love shards.
How large is it, and what type of metal?

(Yes, a girl that knows her power tools.)
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Vol=11

If you have access to a band saw with a metal cutting blade on it use it. Cutting 2 pieces off of your stock won't be a big deal. Sabre saw will work as well. Don't turn it into an MGM production.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Vol=11

Band saw is your best bet, IMO. Hope you can get your hands on one.
If it's steel, you'll need earplugs.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

i dont have any tools at my house right now, ill see if i can get access to to some at my school. maybe sneak a metal cutting blade in along with my material and cut it in the woodshop class...
Quote by Vol=11
i dont have any tools at my house right now, ill see if i can get access to to some at my school. maybe sneak a metal cutting blade in along with my material and cut it in the woodshop class...

Your school should have one, and you probably wont have to worry about not having a metal cutting blade. Getting access might be hard though.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by VictoriaBassist
If its retangular shapes a shear would work, no mess and very quick.

that sounds cheap, can i get a link to an example?
Quote by Vol=11
that sounds cheap, can i get a link to an example?

Well, theres the massive machines that you stick the metal in and it gets chopped which I use in my shop then theres hand shears which could possibly distort the metal or you could get a power shear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_metal_shears

May be too thick or material but check at a local hardware store.
yeah its definitley too thick for those... theyre talking about 1/16th inch aluminum, my material is twice as thich as that. i already went into my local hardware story and they didnt know **** about it.
Dude just follow advice given here and
Cut The Sheet (see what i did there)
Quote by C O B H C
I do believe so. I think heard it on TV once upon a time.

Edit: Wait, what the fuck was I watching on TV that had to do with ass hair?

Quote by sum_ugly_man

ndogg, is actually a kitty

Quote by jeff541
thanks ndogg.

/thread.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
I applaud thee.
You could go to a local welding shop and ask them to shear it for you, thats the only other thing I can think of besides doing it yourself.
cut-off wheel
I Like My Music Like I Like My Life

EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE!
Quote by vintage x metal
Band saw is your best bet, IMO. Hope you can get your hands on one.
If it's steel, you'll need earplugs.

Safety first! I always bring a condom.