i got a new guitar (s470) a few weeks ago, and the strings are more loose than the ones on my old guitar. this is screwing up my picking immensely, as my pick sometimes, usually during fast stuff on the wound strings, gets caught for a split second, screwing up my picking rhythm. Is there a way to get my strings tighter somehow, or am I just going to have to learn to have a more subtle picking technique?
its gonna take practice. i usually play two different guitars, a thick tight string one at home and a thin light gage string at my jam space.

i usually have trouble at first but once i warm im good. just takes getting used to because you have to pick softer. try using different sized picks. experiment with thick ones with thick strings or thin one with thick strings to see whatever works best.

also watch your bends. those also take getting used to with different string gages.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
i got a new guitar (s470) a few weeks ago, and the strings are more loose than the ones on my old guitar.
Does it have a different scale length to your old guitar? If it doesn't, then using the same strings will have the same tension.

If the new guitar has a different scale length and you need more tension, use larger strings.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Does it have a different scale length to your old guitar? If it doesn't, then using the same strings will have the same tension.

If the new guitar has a different scale length and you need more tension, use larger strings.

Yeah, I had that issue too with a 24.5" scale guitar. It had .09's on it and I could seriously bend a note up a fifth. I put some .11's on it and it was much better (though still not very tight).
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112