Alright...this is probably a really simple question for most of you to answer, but I am pretty new to playing guitar. Anyways, whenever I try tapping on my acoustic, I get this irritating, high pitched sound. This happens on most every note, and only when I try tapping something...ideas?
its just the string vibrating above where you tap. it happens on all guitars. the only reason you dont hear it through an amp is because there is no pickup near the nut to pick up those vibrations.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
PLay on electric. Acoustic guitars are made for playing chords rather than all the insane things you can do on a electric.

Bad fret? That happen to one of my friend's guitars. It never worked above the 12th fret.
maybe it's just your guitar, and im sure that's possible. im sure if you chilled out for a sec and worked your way up to speed with slow licks it would be alot easier for you to get a crisp sound, I'm working on that myself right now and it's working slowly

IMO i think 60% tone issues are the playing style and accuracy of the hands, and 40% is usually someone complaining about a bad guitar, with a messed up neck
Quote by Phat Stud 55
PLay on electric. Acoustic guitars are made for playing chords rather than all the insane things you can do on a electric.

... that is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read in the acoustic forum...
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold."
Quote by Phat Stud 55

Bad fret? That happen to one of my friend's guitars. It never worked above the 12th fret.

clearly you have no idea what you can do on an acoustic, i urge you to check out Don Ross, Andy Mckee, ...
My Gear:
Simon&Patrick Pro flame maple (so nice)
Epiphone SG-special (cherry red)
Richwood acoustic
Lany 30 Watt amp, not sure what exact model
Quote by icon_player_5
its just the string vibrating above where you tap. it happens on all guitars. the only reason you dont hear it through an amp is because there is no pickup near the nut to pick up those vibrations.

CORRECT. That post about not being able to do fancy tricks on an acoustic is just silly.
Quote by Phat Stud 55

Flamenco, n00b.

TS:

Could it be fret buzz, maybe?
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece