Page 1 of 2
Alright, I play lead guitar for the band I created, The name: Terminus (Latin for "The end" don't laugh!). Anyways, I can hardly do anything good will my crappy axl fireax and china-brand generic amp. So I got a job caddying (I make a pretty good penny-lot's of rich guys golfin'), and my friend who works there says I should make around $2000 the whole summer. I am putting about $1250 of this toward guitar upgrades/recording equipment and the rest into a college fund. I will be buying from the local guitar store that deals in mostly Dean guitars and Marshall amps (at least for metal). I'm looking for a sound similar to Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Nightwish.

So far, here's what I have so far:

Dean Vendetta Revenge http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-Revenge-Electric-Guitar?sku=515820&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=147806193

Marshall MG30DFX Combo
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG30DFX-Combo-?sku=483188

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will not order a guitar online after what happened with my axl. Please keep suggestions for guitars in the Dean route, and any amp help will be great!
Last edited by Beebaboo at May 3, 2008,
First off, don't get the MG. For your genre, I'd reccomend something along the lines of a used 5150 combo.

Secondly, why do you only want a Dean? There are brands with better reputations and better specs for less.
Get a JCM if you're going to get a Marshall, jesus. The fucking MG?!?! You make me sick to my stomach.

As for the guitar, try a Dean Z series. The Vendetta is tacky as hell.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Dean hmmmmm..... I'd say get the Dean From Hell. Or schecters are pretty nice guitars.......
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
First off, don't get the MG. For your genre, I'd reccomend something along the lines of a used 5150 combo.

Secondly, why do you only want a Dean? There are brands with better reputations and better specs for less.

I wanna Dean because they're reliable, great sounding, and it's what my local guitar store deals, and they have the best repair plan and the best quality work I've ver known.
Listen to me... I had the MG30DFX a while ago... At first I loved it so much... 6 months later I hated it... I just learned more about tone and stuff in that time so by the time I knew all this stuff i hated the guy... Besides it is horrible at handling effects... As for the guitar well... it looks nice
Quote by Beebaboo
I wanna Dean because they're reliable, great sounding, and it's what my local guitar store deals, and they have the best repair plan and the best quality work I've ver known.

Really? Have you ever played, say... the Schecter Hellraiser series? How 'bout a nice Ibanez RG? Jackson Dinky?

I'm kind of doubting that you'd be able to make a good assessment of those guitars even if you were to play them though, as you seem like a bit of a fanboy.
800 dollars on the amp... the rest to the guitar... get a nice amp... and a decent guitar (hell ive seen mint 80's kramers on ebay for les than 600 bucks)... just take your time looking around
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Really? Have you ever played, say... the Schecter Hellraiser series? How 'bout a nice Ibanez RG? Jackson Dinky?

I'm kind of doubting that you'd be able to make a good assessment of those guitars even if you were to play them though, as you seem like a bit of a fanboy.

I've played epiphones, corts, jacksons, Ibanezes, Fenders, and a lot of other guitar brands (The only one I haven't tried on your list is a Schecter). I have played a lot of Deans too, and they were simply the best out of the bunch. And also, it's about availability. If my local guitar store offered only Jacksons, I'd be like "I am going to get a Jackson only (because that's all I can get). " The last thing I wanna do is order from online. While a Jackson V would be nice, I wanted a guitar without a floyd rose and with a neck through body (Which I don't think King Vs have, I'll have to look them up again).
I would suggest a Schecter personally. I just got a C-1 FR and the tone is incredible. The Hellraiser series is also nice, but I chose the C-1 over it. It just felt better. For an amp, i would suggest, pretty much whatever you want. I have a 50 watt Crate Tube amp, its very nice but since its vintage it takes a long time for the sound to become "clear". Marshalls are nice as well...
Well I would really recommend skipping the amp, dont know much about the guitar though. But as others suggested, i'd say a nice Schecter hellraiser would be nice. Maybe a vox valveonix amp to go with it. You could get the set for $850.
Quote by cedaguol
Listen to me... I had the MG30DFX a while ago... At first I loved it so much... 6 months later I hated it... I just learned more about tone and stuff in that time so by the time I knew all this stuff i hated the guy... Besides it is horrible at handling effects... As for the guitar well... it looks nice

+1 to cedaguoll

you have a nice thread start tho and tnx for pics as it makes it easier.

i know there are a ton of you out there that think this amp line is the bomb but in just listening to others...i would say not so much.

never played thru one before and don't plan to either. kudos again for putting in budget and mentioning other gear you have played thru...and search and try and buy

and congrats on your ability to find a job to help pay for what you need. smart, and keep saving as in the end...it will make you feel better!

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 3, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 to cedagoul

you have a nice thread start tho and tnx for pics as it makes it easier.

i know there are a ton of you out there that think this amp line is the bomb but in just listening to others...i would say not so much.

never played thru one before and don't plan it either. kudos again for putting in budjet and mentioning other gear you have played thru...and search and try and buy

and congrats on your ability to find a job to help pay for what you need. smart, and keep saving as in the end...it will make you feel better!

;

You seem to be the best commenter on this thread. What do you reccomend I do? I can buy the amp last, so as to not waste a penny in speculation, but when it comes time to buy the guitar, should I make several trips to the store and try out some models before I buy, or the day of purhcase-go in and try all the ones that catch my eye and decide on a winner at the end of the day?
Quote by cedaguol

What does that mean? I tried the guitar in-store and it was awesome! Is there a better Dean option out there for less than $1000? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but I seriously don't know how to interperet what you just said.
Schecter Omen 6 and a Ashdown Fallen Angel 40 for Metal..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by Beebaboo
You seem to be the best commenter on this thread. What do you reccomend I do? I can buy the amp last, so as to not waste a penny in speculation, but when it comes time to buy the guitar, should I make several trips to the store and try out some models before I buy, or the day of purhcase-go in and try all the ones that catch my eye and decide on a winner at the end of the day?

don't know beebaboo,

both

i mean if you find something you like that feels right (without an amp) then you may have a winner. always go in knowing you can walk out and wait without purchase and come back. try and buy. you'll know when it feels right.

BTW - your amp you chose is almost as important if not more important then the guitar generally speaking. good luck!

;
Less than 1.5k? If you're willing to give Ibanez or Jackson a second chance, they make guitars made in Japan for your budget.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Don't get the Dean. There's a lot better guitars out there for the same price.
Same with the amp. How long have you been playing?
And don't whine about people recommending something other than a Dean or what not. Deans haven't been known for quality.
Maybe you should try a ESP LTD, with a Tube amp of some kind.
Signatures are overrated.
I'm pretty sure you cannot gig with MG's, and the tone is crap imo..

If you really don't want a tube amp, try getting a vox or the Roland Cube or something.

Also I don't think Dean's are great but if you have your heart set on them....
Your friendship is a fog, that disappears when the wind re-directs (YEAH!)
Any guitar shop would allow you to order guitars in and buy it from the store. I'm VERY sure of this. If I were you, I would order in some Schecter guitars because for value for money, they are great. I think Schecter guitars are a bit similar to Dean guitars in terms of neck dimensions but I could totally be wrong. Not a fan of either.

Anyway.... I would highly recommend against that amp. The Marshall MG series is notorious for being unreliable, poor tone and just plain junk for money. If you plan on gigging, get a tube amp. Even if it's a low wattage, you could still pull off gigs since tube amps seem much louder than SS amps and sound better cranked! In the US, I would check out Peavey Valveking amps or even used 5150 since they are cheap and have insane gain, or check out the Randall RG series. Just ask the staff at your shop if you can order it in, it would be more worth your time!
Quote by Moe.

I agree with moe.
I'd say an LTD M/MH-1000NT. hardtail, I *think* it's neck thru, active EMG's. all for $750 US. good wood/quality/looks/sound.

Also, go for a tube amp instead (good example being a 6505 combo for hi-gain-although this amp is $1200, classic 50 212 for lower gain, and is a good $450 less).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 3, 2008,
Quote by Moe.
Don't get the Dean. There's a lot better guitars out there for the same price.
Same with the amp. How long have you been playing?
And don't whine about people recommending something other than a Dean or what not. Deans haven't been known for quality.

I would like an Ibanez or ESP. However, the only guitars I can get without ordering online (something I'll never do again) are Deans. The amp I have some leaway on, I just chose the amp I played in store, but I can choose from Orange, Marshall, Peavey, and Fender.
Bro you gotta spend more money on the amp if you want a good sound. The amp makes up most of the sound of your guitar, and your guitar just puts on the details and uniqueness.

An MG30 will not fit for a band, it won't cut in well and it wont be loud enough..
Isn't there any other store you could travel to? There's a lot more options than just Deans...
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by HeliuM
Isn't there any other store you could travel to? There's a lot more options than just Deans...

None that I know of. On a side note, how will this amp do for performing?

Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

I'm totally digging this guitar. Seems to have the same specs as the revenge, just with a cooler inlay and a nice body finish

Dean Vendetta 4.0
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=DNVN4TBL&id=DNVN4TBL&l=FROOGLE

Read the part in my sig-- NO MG, IT SOUNDS LIKE BEES IN A CAGE!
Get a valveking 112. sounds better, actually is really quite loud.

Also, how can there NOT be a guitar center near you, you're in or near chicago.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 3, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
Read the part in my sig-- NO MG, IT SOUNDS LIKE BEES IN A CAGE!

What type of amp would be best then (Since you've obviously tried an MG from your sig ). The brands can be Marshall, Peavey, Orange, Fender.
Peavey VK112, or if you need 100w tube (which you REALLY don't need), VK212.
Fender blues Junior, Orange Tiny terror.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Heres a few things every guitarist should know.

Marshall MGs suck.
Line 6 spiders suck.
Tube combos > solid state stacks.
The French are really Germans pretending not to be German.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Everyone saying the Valveking is a winner. I plan on getting that for my next amp.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Everyone saying the Valveking is a winner. I plan on getting that for my next amp.

I'm not! The Valveking blows away the MG, yes, but he's got a lot more room in his price range. Used 5150, Mesa F30, or a Bugera 6262 gets my vote. He's looking for a metal tone, and the Valveking doesn't do metal nearly as well as any of those 3 amps.
Oh, this should help anyone still looking in this thread, I'm trying to get a sound similar to Megadeth, Metallica, Nightwish, and Iron Maiden.
then get a guitar with an alder body. it's what most of them use.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I would try an ESP or a schecter they are nice guitars for the money. The dean is horrible and does look very tacky. MG's are some of the worst amps I've ever heard so get a nice tube amplifier.
Quote by oneblackened
then get a guitar with an alder body. it's what most of them use.

Ahh, alder is good ? My Fireax is alder and it feels like it it made of plastic! Is it cheaper than mahogony? I'll try to find an alder body at the store, and try it out.
Quote by Beebaboo
Ahh, alder is good ? My Fireax is alder and it feels like it it made of plastic! Is it cheaper than mahogony? I'll try to find an alder body at the store, and try it out.

Alder is better than mahogany.

Leave the damned MGs alone, they're shitty, and you don't need a stack.

Get this:
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=TSL601

and since you're high on Deans, this:
http://www.deanguitars.com/timecapsule/inventoryZblack.html
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
Alder is better than mahogany.

Leave the damned MGs alone, they're shitty, and you don't need a stack.

Get this:
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=TSL601

and since you're high on Deans, this:
http://www.deanguitars.com/timecapsule/inventoryZblack.html

I've actually seen one of those Deans in the store! It was like $1000 though (I may be wrong). My total budget is like $1250. So $600 for guitar $500 for amp (need to leave room for tax-filthy money grubbing government ) It also appears the amp you reccomended has been discontinued
Page 1 of 2