You know how sometimes when you bend or use the tremolo bar, you here that ping sound coming from the headstock? Is that just the string sliding through the nut? If so, can I use lemon oil on the nut to make sure the string goes through smoothly?

And if that isn't the case, what's making that noise?
Probably the strings inside the tuning knobs moving and such due to the tension change. What kind of guitar?
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
i always thought that noise came from the springs. i was also wondering what i can do to fix it.
Hmm... well it's definitely the strings. Put your head closer to it when you're using the bar to pinpoint it, then let us know where it's coming fcrom specifically.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
maybe you wrap the string too many times, and it gives or slips a bit enough to hear the ping. Was for me. Try to end up with only 1-3 wraps at the post.
Quote by Chris_Parker
Hmm... well it's definitely the strings. Put your head closer to it when you're using the bar to pinpoint it, then let us know where it's coming fcrom specifically.
It doesn't happen very often though. And once it happens on that string, I won't hear it again for a while. But I'll try.

Quote by DeanESPJackson
maybe you wrap the string too many times, and it gives or slips a bit enough to hear the ping. Was for me. Try to end up with only 1-3 wraps at the post.
How do I change how many times it goes around? I just keep turning the peg until its up to pitch and thats how it turns out.
Last edited by leephan at May 3, 2008,
Quote by Chris_Parker

im pretty sure its the springs. im probably wrong, but i say its the springs because i have a floyd rose, so it cant be the tuners.
I'm 90% sure that in my case, the sound is coming from either the tuners or the nut. I'll try a more secure way of stringing the guitar when my current set wears out. If that doesn't work then I'll lube up the nut with lemon oil. Thanks for the help.
Lubricate the nut under the strings with either Big Bends Nut Sauce, GHS Graphitall, or just use simple graphite (from pencil lead) dust in each cut.

That will keep the strings from binding in the slots and allow them to slip through freely as you do bends or use the tremolo.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."