I believe I have a pretty good technique, I go one string at a time (unless I wanta clean the fretboard), from Big E to little e. I put four fingers between the twelfth fret and the string to get the right distance, bend up the string at the edge of the peg so it's at the right place, and tune it up.

my problem is, the when I'm tuning the little E, and sometimes the B string, right when I'm just to get up to pitch the string will slip in the whole in the peg so it's all floppy again and I have to tune back up, which gives it too many wraps. It happens almost every time on the e, and a lot of the time on the b. Is there anything I can do to keep it from slipping?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at May 3, 2008,
I use the over and under technique. First time around goes over then the rest go under. It keeps it from slipping.
google and youtube will have great examples

i actually go under first and the rest of the turns are over. actually, make that the second turn - but then again i have strat if that makes a diff.

3 or 4 fingers is usully the correct spacing.

the key for me is to bend that string hard (almost 90 degrees) like a pinch on the first run or turn to get a tight fit against tuner peg. once you overlap on 2nd and 3rd turn it should hold and yes top B and E can be harder 'cause the strings are so light.

not sure if that helps or if i understood the problem but then again it is late for me...

;
i actually go under first and the rest of the turns are over

Bad idea, you're drastically changing the angle of the strings on the back side of the nut. Those that are not under string trees are sitting too high, you're inviting nut buzz, which sounds a bit like a sitar and is not easy to isolate if you don't know to look for it.

To answer the original question, yes, over then under is a very good idea, I've been using that technique for at least 15 years and it helps a lot. Also hold tension on the strings while tuning to pitch, and I only leave enough slack for two wraps, it seems to actually work better. I have no trouble keeping my guitars in tune, I can let my acoustic sit on the stand for 3 days, which is rare, and not have to retune it before practicing.

I hold the string tight alongside the tuner peg and cut it about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" past the back side of the peg, and leave a 3/8" to 1/2" tag end. (the end that sticks out) That allows about 2 wraps, first one on top of the tag end, second one under it. about 2 1/2 wraps is the most I ever get, and since I have a lot less surface area touching the peg, the entire wraps are tighter and therefore tend to slip less. More wraps also leave more string to stretch after tuning up. The wraps do stretch some. Also if you have a bunch of wraps, the first couple are loose while the last couple get really tight. After some playing the whole thing tends to tighten a bit, tuning goes out the window. The looser top wraps also let that section of the string slip backwards, complicating things even more...Fewer wraps means the wraps are all tight, fewer tuning problems. I've also started making the bend in the bottom string with pliers to make sure I get a good 90 degree corner, holding it against the tuner peg and letting the tuner do it has too often resulted in a bend rather than a corner and the string will slip completely out of the tuner later.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
what i do is wrap the string around the tuning peg 2 times, starting from the bottom and going up, then go over the strings on one side( when your putting through the hole), and between the strings on the other side. That makes sort of a locking type thing, then tune normally.
The reason why your string slips and goes all loose again is because you didn't lock your string before you tuned up.

Best be you lock up the string by first sticking the string through the post, and then wrap it around the inward side of the tuning post and then bend it over the string coming from the nut. Then when tuning up make sure the string wraps and stays tight properly.

I personally lock every string when restringing, I hate string slippage, love string stabilize.