I am wondering whether Matt Bellamy does this to help avoid degredation of tone- in which case its a good idea. i know he likes to use the hand controls as well but how feasable is it to build pedals into guitars (assuming i dont have 3 grand for a manson)
If you're talking about real analogue effects then youll have to rout part of your body cavity. Theres not much room in their for a circuit with pots.
Quote by 8stringer
I am wondering whether Matt Bellamy does this to help avoid degredation of tone- in which case its a good idea.

Hardly, I don't think the signal would really degrade even if he had the effects in pedal form.
Quote by 8stringer
i know he likes to use the hand controls as well but how feasable is it to build pedals into guitars (assuming i dont have 3 grand for a manson)

I think the whole point is having the controls for the effects in your guitar, you can't really tweak pedals midsong that easily (plus it'd look a lot more stupid if you knelt(sp?) down on the stage to tweak something.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
its just an ease thing so he can do them easier on stage. probs would cause worse tone degradation as he's had to take out so much of the guitars body to have it installed
Well to be honest if you get a pedal inside a guitar it's going to be a novelty then it'll fade off. Oscillating a Fuzz Factory then starting Plug in Baby will lose it's epicness over time.

I'm a big Muse fan and i don't want pedals inside my guitar.
personally, i think its a bit odd really. i like my pedals on the floor because it means i can turn them on and off whilst playing. its just more sensible. if i want to tweak them, i'll crouch down. you have to take your hand off playing whether you have the controls mounted on your guitar or on the floor anyway.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
personally, i think its a bit odd really. i like my pedals on the floor because it means i can turn them on and off whilst playing. its just more sensible. if i want to tweak them, i'll crouch down. you have to take your hand off playing whether you have the controls mounted on your guitar or on the floor anyway.

Yeah, but you can manipulate the settings mid-riff with one of your spare fingers, Besides, you'd look less of an idiot than if you crouched down.
crouching down doesnt make you look like an idiot, it makes you look like you're manipulating your effects. in fact, i'd say it makes a person look more ridiculous manipulating in-guitar effects, purely because in-guitar effects are lame.
I wouldn't mind having a delay effect in a guitar, just so I wouldn't have to cart a pedal around everywhere.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
so he can run around on stage and not have to be by his effects pedals when the effect changes.
Watch the live videos.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
crouching down doesnt make you look like an idiot, it makes you look like you're manipulating your effects. in fact, i'd say it makes a person look more ridiculous manipulating in-guitar effects, purely because in-guitar effects are lame.

In my opinion, it does make you look like an idiot if you crouch down to fiddle with your effects midsong compared to fiddling with your guitar (that's what you're there to do). At least it takes something off your stage presence.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
i honestly dont think it looks bad if you kneel down to twist a knob or so on a pedal mid song. it kinda shows that you care about sounding the best you can and want to do those little tweaks.

having stuff in your guitar can be either a good idea or a bad one. something like a chaos pad is going to be much better in your guitar because it is that much closer to your hand. if your music needs/deserves the use of something like that, then its nice to have it where you can reach it. however, just sticking things in your guitar to have them close can be a waste of time. like a delay or phaser in the guitar isnt going to be as useful, because they should be later in the chain and you dont need to do as much tweaking with them.

the only thing i would ever consider in my guitar is a fuzz or a clean boost. the clean boost would be nice on a single channel amp because you could go from your normal level to pushing the amp for leads. its like having your volume knob but having it go to 11 (or 20). a fuzz would be cool, just because im always tweaking my fuzz. but it would have to be something more complex than a mk-2 or big muff, those work fine on the floor. but a fuzz with like 4 knobs would be cool to have in your guitar because you could get so much out of it.
bellamy has a fuzz factory in his guitar because he likes to make it oscillate and tweak the knobs to vary pitch and sound, so he needs them mounted on the guitar body.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Fama
In my opinion, it does make you look like an idiot if you crouch down to fiddle with your effects midsong compared to fiddling with your guitar (that's what you're there to do). At least it takes something off your stage presence.

how does it take something off your stage presence? i always think it adds something personally when people stoop down and fuck about with their sound. sounds good and looks good. on the other hand, installing effects in your guitar and pissing about with it makes you look like some lame wannabe rock star loser.
Quote by Fama
plus it'd look a lot more stupid if you knelt(sp?) down on the stage to tweak something.

Tom Morello does it all the time... while he's playing...

So does Satriani...

and morello in particular has massive stage presence...

If your music is good, no one will care if your crouching down.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at May 4, 2008,