What pickups go well with solid state amps?
i mostly play metal.
Also should they be active or passive?
i highly recommend seymour duncan blackouts. There the best pickups for metal. Or EMGs.... but the blackouts have let buzz to them and there crunchier
Active pickups should not be paired with solid state amps.
The extra gain tries to overdrive the solid state preamp which isn't possible, and just makes it muddier.
Quote by hidden132
i highly recommend seymour duncan blackouts. There the best pickups for metal. Or EMGs.... but the blackouts have let buzz to them and there crunchier

/n00bery

Lower output pickups with less highs and more mids would make sense.
is everyone agreeing that is should get seymour duncans or is there other combinations(brands,models) i can use.

also, is it better get lower or higher output pickups?
Quote by enigma92

also, is it better get lower or higher output pickups?

Depends on the amp really. Higher output pickups give you more gain, but you don't want to overdrive solid state circuits - it sounds bad. I hope your amp has enough preamp gain as is, just get lower output pickups. I believe they're somewhat more clear and such (of course that doesn't apply to all pickups but anyway).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
I would still suggest you saving up for a tube amp.

Not everyone wants a tube amp...

Quote by -Collapse-
Active pickups should not be paired with solid state amps.
The extra gain tries to overdrive the solid state preamp which isn't possible, and just makes it muddier.

Most solid state amps I've used can handle the output of EMGs without clipping. Blackouts (being higher output) might not work as well, but the good thing about active pick-ups... you can turn them down without affecting their tone.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
DiMarzio D'activators. Great pups for SS amps.

I have 'em in my axe and they sound damn good on my SS amp. I also have a tubed amp and they sounded good on it too but they sparkled on the SS.

Needs no batteries but sounds like actives.
It depends on what kind of solid state amp you have - if it's a cruddy 15 watter then don't waste your money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by DiMeTiMe
meh..just go with Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios .

so its either JB/Jazz set or D'activators?

any other seymour duncans or dimarzios models?
Quote by enigma92
so its either JB/Jazz set or D'activators?

any other seymour duncans or dimarzios models?

For Dimarzios I would go for the Evolution's - there nice, AND they come in a variety of colours - get the lime green ones .
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Frontman right?

Just get passives then.

Even with passives the TS is going to be sorely disappointed. A pickup change isn't going to make much of any difference through something like a Frontman, it's completely the wrong amp for what he wants.

Given you're in Australia, where you get screwed royally on gear prices, don't bother - you'd just be wasting money that could have gone on something useful.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a cort evl k-4 with passive emg-hz h4 on both bridge and neck. I can imagine a Dimarzio evolution would be better but still they are not as crap as stock ibanez pickups arent they?
stock IBZ pick-ups are NOT crap. they're are decent pickups that get severely under rated. Given they arn't as good as duncans or dimarzios they are not 'crap' pickups.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
For the pickups, i would look into Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio, they are very good brands. go on their sites to read the specs on them to see what they are best suited for.

Also, sorry to say but I strongly recommend a new amp, the FM212 is a horrible amp(my brother has one, ive heard it many times). If you like metal then try out some Randall SS amps, great for metal, i have the RH200. I get sick of everyone always saying first off go get a tube amp, a good SS is better than a cheap tube amp, you have to spend big bucks to get a good tube amp.
Quote by enigma92
What pickups go well with solid state amps?
i mostly play metal.
Also should they be active or passive?

If you are using a solid state amp then you want low output pickups. For metal, go with PAF style pickups with alnico 5 magnets in them.
Not taking any online orders.