Hi Guys, over the last couple of months or so i haved made countless plans to build a guitar from parts or possibly from scratch. But i recently decided to buy a guitar, and am know thinking of making over my very first guitar (SX strat style piece of ****) but i just cant make up my mind. it is a goal to make a guitar sometime during my life but my dad (im 16 btw) says that building it from scratch is very complicated and i would need a lot of woodworking experience to do so. Should i buy, make over, build from parts or build from scratch???
well it does need a lot of woodworking experience and tools, so I say buy the whole guitar. you can try modding an old guitar and when you are confident enough, you can make your own
modellings easiest and you cant really majotly screw up and waste heaps of money unlike building and if you do build (scratch or parts) you need heaps of time to dedicate to the project
im 16 and i just built one from scratch (see sig). but i already have all the necessary tools and a bit of experience in woodwork. i'd suggest just modding one to start off with because building from scratch is quite alot to take on board
Quote by lp_std
im 16 and i just built one from scratch (see sig). but i already have all the necessary tools and a bit of experience in woodwork. i'd suggest just modding one to start off with because building from scratch is quite alot to take on board

omfg i hate u.
i was so excited to see it at the end and there was nothing
its not finished
Quote by beetroot10
omfg i hate u.
i was so excited to see it at the end and there was nothing
its not finished

haha it's pretty much finished, its hanging in the shed while the finish is curing. i'll have some more pics up in the next couple of weeks. ive been a bit slack with the updates lately i know
Quote by lp_std
haha it's pretty much finished, its hanging in the shed while the finish is curing. i'll have some more pics up in the next couple of weeks. ive been a bit slack with the updates lately i know

yeh me too i wanted to see the finished product as well lol
Quote by halvies
Hi Guys, over the last couple of months or so i haved made countless plans to build a guitar from parts or possibly from scratch. But i recently decided to buy a guitar, and am know thinking of making over my very first guitar (SX strat style piece of ****) but i just cant make up my mind. it is a goal to make a guitar sometime during my life but my dad (im 16 btw) says that building it from scratch is very complicated and i would need a lot of woodworking experience to do so. Should i buy, make over, build from parts or build from scratch???

Go to the GB&C Forum ... there are 14-year olds building from scratch. If you don't have the woodworking chops and/or the tools, it'll be more fun to "assemble" from parts or mod a perfectly good guitar.