me n the drummer made a band abit ago just for like some local stuff, we got everyone, then we did a school band thing and sucked because of the singer, so we fired him and got a new 1, but now ur drummer has turned totally emo on me n the bassist who like led zep and classic stuff like that for the emo/all american rejects.....

everytime i say a song that we could do, he just shoots it down, coz the drummin to slow or something......... drummers dont play fast all the time and he cant get it into his head, and nowe he got a doulbe bass pedal..................

help me pit!!!!!!
Quote by irongoat666
1. Acquire 3 sheep (or any other animal for that matter)
2. Spray paint the numbers 1, 2 and 4 on them
3. Set them loose

Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
but seriously try and find someone else, or if he says he wants to play fast than just use reverse pyschology and just say like "oh, well your obviously to terrible at drums to play fast and you can only play one style" or something provactive with the same effect
All American Rejects, emo? What?

Maybe find the drummer? Or say he can change the drums a little bit but not to much?
Quote by ZoSoBeatle
but seriously try and find someone else, or if he says he wants to play fast than just use reverse pyschology and just say like "oh, well your obviously to terrible at drums to play fast and you can only play one style" or something provactive with the same effect

I like this idea, say something like 'So you don't actualy want any variation in our set?' to the drummer.

Playing fast is OK in it's place, but in music, you've gotta think about contrasts.
If you want the fast bit to stand out, play it next to a slow bit. And vice versa. Similarly with loud and quiet bits. If you play fast or slow all the time, every song is 'just another fast song' or 'just another slow song.'
Now, I don't know anything about your band so I could be completely wrong so please forgive me if I am, but maybe you should be having a good look at your set. If all the songs are of a similar, slow beat, then that would be just as bad as having a set full of nothing but fast songs.
Idealy a set should contrast as much as possible, going from fast song to slow song and back again. It makes it more interesting to the audience that way, but in order to do this successfully, you obviously need to have practicaly as many fast songs as slow songs. (And obviously not just fast or slow but songs of all sorts of different speeds in between fast and slow.)
I guess what I'm saying is, maybe there's a middle ground between you and your drummer here that will allow you to compromise and built a really strong varied and contrasting set that'll really get you noticed on the circuit?
lol SlackerBabbath, ty 4 advise, well we only been goin abit but our song list is...
nickelback-never again
all american rejects- move along
take that- butterfly
and another song, but i cant remember off top of my head and maybe one of our own songs
Quote by irongoat666
3. Set them loose

Quote by Moggan13

Quote by fromrehab
lol SlackerBabbath, ty 4 advise, well we only been goin abit but our song list is...
nickelback-never again
all american rejects- move along
take that- butterfly
and another song, but i cant remember off top of my head and maybe one of our own songs

Well seeing as how you're just startin' out, now would be the ideal time to ensure that the set that you're eventualy either gonna write or cover (or a combination of both) has plenty of variation and contrast.
Explain the concept to your drummer and tell him you're all gonna need some of his fast stuff as well as some of the slower stuff, and start making plans.
Idealy, you're looking to have roughly an hour's worth of music in your set before you start gigging, so that would be about 6 slow(ish) songs and 6 fast(ish) songs.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 3, 2008,
cheers peeps
Quote by irongoat666
3. Set them loose

Quote by Moggan13

Make him listen to Dream Theater he'll be so demoralized that he isn't mike Portnoy he'll play slow. Or he'll just play dream theater stuff.
you could make a compromise, tell your drummer that he shud keep with rythm of the originals, or if u do change it dont always make the rythm fast.

Also a thing that gets the band and fans in a good mood is to create a type of song (an original) that is only solo, the bass solos the guitarist solos and the drummer drumms his arse off!!, what u gotta do is improvis this solo before hand and record it, then learn it by heart, and make it seem like ur improvisin on stage, this way it'll be weird, flamboyant and eccentric, the muscians will be playin wat they want amd the audaiance will be intrested, Ur drummer will be able to play as fast as he wants durin the improv just tell him to chillax from time to time
Last edited by thedefrockednun at May 3, 2008,
your drummer needs to know that not every song has to be fast, but you need to know that not every song needs to be slow; like the people before me in this topic just said. also you need to have not just variations in the tempo (speed) but you need to have intros that sound different, if it is a sad song then don't jump into the main riffs, ease in. if it is a fast fun song then those are good for jumping in to main riffs. if you can't pull some form of eagerness, depressing, or any mood from them on your songs then you might need to rethink how you write and play.

i've always liked it when a band plays a well known song of the time that is upbeet and happy and something to get your crowd and you pumped up, then play a few more songs like that. mix old stuff with new stuff. then when everyone is pretty tired; usaly about 20-25 minuets for bands just starting out (and depending on your show's length) may be longer, then that would be the perfect time for him to play his ****ing heart out do do the fastest **** that he can pull off. then go to more songs, maybe a slow(er) song or two or three... then go back to the crazy stuff.

remember if you play to much slow stuff the crowd will get board (bad)
if you play to much fast stuff, well the crowd will get drunk and there ass kicked from moshpits (depending on how heavy you are) (you decide)

just try and mix it up.
curently composes with Guitar Pro 5. amazing peace of software. i'd recomend it. and Samplitude recording studio.

myspace.com/somethingstarted
sorry for double posting. but please talk and type with better english and not a whole but load of i don no wat u r doin 2 day doooood!

it gets pretty hard to read and translate it in peoples heads so they can understand it better. and many people will give up reading it and then either not "help" you or whatever it is.
curently composes with Guitar Pro 5. amazing peace of software. i'd recomend it. and Samplitude recording studio.

myspace.com/somethingstarted
pple also like it if you play a well known song in a diffrent style, such as a slow song with a crazy beat. PPLE like that

Btw hers for something_smart: pple=People
lol just kiddin, i agree abreviations can get annoying lol.
Just get him to practice songs with a sick slow groove. Or if you don't want to stray too far from a slow songs recorded beat let him take tons of fills.
Quote by hippiebass
Make him listen to Dream Theater he'll be so demoralized that he isn't mike Portnoy he'll play slow. Or he'll just play dream theater stuff.

He is so right.
If he thinks Bonham is slow then he is sadly mistaken. He'll be needing the double bass to try to keep up with Bonhams 1 bass drum. A good one is good times bad times, have him listen to those double kicks and see what he has to say.