I got a 600w XION power supply, but my 8800gt is still complaining about not getting enough power. I got it plugged in correctly and everything, any suggestions?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
it only requires a 425w
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
If you have an 8800GT, I'm assuming you'll have a good processor to match, along with one or two GB of fairly high-speed RAM, etc etc. All of these drain power from the PSU, and taking efficiency factors into things means your PCU may not be giving as much useable power as you think it is. Solution? Just go buy a more powerful PSU, about 700W (though thinkin all this over, your PCU would have to be pretty inefficient to not be able to run an 8800GT).
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by touji-za-nai
I got a 600w XION power supply, but my 8800gt is still complaining about not getting enough power. I got it plugged in correctly and everything, any suggestions?

Never heard of XION PSUs; stay away from brands like that. You want to go with Corsair, PC Power & Cooling etc.

Also, it's more about the number of amps on the 12volt rail than the actual wattage. Did you even check to see if it met those requirements before you bought it?
yeah, the brand is most likely the cause.

i have a corsair hx520 (520 watts obviously) and i run a 8800GTS 512, which is a more power hungry card along with an overclocked quad core cpu and i have pleanty of power.

never cheap out on a power supply man, its possibly the most important component of your system brand name = reliability which is far more important than the watts rating
Quote by Diamond Dave
yeah, the brand is most likely the cause.

i have a corsair hx520 (520 watts obviously) and i run a 8800GTS 512, which is a more power hungry card along with an overclocked quad core cpu and i have pleanty of power.

never cheap out on a power supply man, its possibly the most important component of your system brand name = reliability which is far more important than the watts rating

Yep. I've got the VX550. You really can't fault corsair PSUs - top quality.