Page 1 of 2
My parents agreed to help me pay for my new amp (which I'll hopefully be getting this summer). I'm keeping the orange because i simply love it for its overdriven tone, but I need an amp that can go a lot heavier.

I'm in a band that plays a lot of heavy stuff; Death metal, modern metal, hardcore, screamo, etc. But I'd also the amp to have good cleans.

I need something that can chug, chug, chug, and still have that soaring lead tone.

My budget is anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 USD. I was thinking about getting a Rivera Knucklehead, but those only come in heads, right? And I think it's above my budget, too?

Thanks.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
mesa boogie 5:50

best amp ever.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Peavey 5150,6505 Or 6505+
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Probably take this too the gear and whatnot thread or if there's one about amps, then there. But yeah look at some mesa's and i dunno. Don't know too much about what amps you would want for death metal, alot has to do with tuning. Nile use marshall but the chug chug is quite dominant. And your pups/guitar.

EDIT: Sorry didn't realise you had the right forum. Was looking at the pit for so long i lost track.
Last edited by thepatient002 at May 3, 2008,
Uberschalls...those are like...3k?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Yes, an Uberschall might be a bit expensive :P

How about some Engls? Is Fireball in that budget? Is there a combo of that? A Mesa might be good too, or the Rivera. You definitely want a combo? Not like a head + 212?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I'd really like a stack--but that'd be pushing my budget...unless if you can find a way to fit it in my budget, then yeah, i'm totally cool with getting a 1/4 stack or something.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
No need for a stack unless the amp you're buying only comes as a head...

Check out the ENGLs. The Fireball is fantastic and the Screamer is pretty damn versatile too.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I think a Mark IV would be good too. I believe you can easily get a used combo in that budget.
Quote by Lunchbox362
That'd be neat if I could get myself a Mark IV used. How loud do those things get anyway? I remember playing one and all I could remember is that it was REALLY loud.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
It's 85 watts, that's louder than you'd ever really need.
But I believe you can also turn the wattage down to play with less volume.
Quote by Lunchbox362
I wouldn't say a Mark IV was ''brutal'', If you want brutal look at Krank and Peavey
Quote by MrCarrot
^

What? have you tried a mark IV? They don't metal as well as everything else they do IMO.
Yes I have, IMO it sounded like a more refined Recto. Sounded excellent for metal IMO.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yes I have, IMO it sounded like a more refined Recto. Sounded excellent for metal IMO.

Fine it does metal well to your ears, but Peavey does it much better and for a cheaper price. Just overall better voicing and gain for metal. He only needs it for very heavy metal anyway.
Quote by Horlicks
Fine it does metal well to your ears, but Peavey does it much better and for a cheaper price. Just overall better voicing and gain for metal. He only needs it for very heavy metal anyway.
I disagree, but whatever.

Also, rereading the OP:

Quote by Jinskee
But I'd also the amp to have good cleans.
Which is where the Mark IV comes in also... Most of the Peavey high-gainers don't have fantastic cleans but the Mark IVs are pretty nice.
Last edited by MrCarrot at May 3, 2008,
^ That's fine, I mean it's good to hear a wide range of opinions, the TS can decide for himself
yeah, the mark iv can get brutal as hell... i think you were just doing it wrong

uh... yeah jin i dunno, not to be biased but the only thing i can think of at the moment is a used mark iv combo.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
IMHO the ultimate br00tal amp is an Engl Fireball, but that would set you back about 1700 together with an Avatar 2x12" in the States.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
My Bugera 6262 does brutal like you wouldn't believe. Really. Turn one up to 2 on the lead channel (no pedals, no effects) and tell me that's not brutal? Best part, it's only $500...
Mesa F series? ENGL Fireball is good, but keep in mind, there's no middle ground (clean and br00t).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Maybe a Carvin V3? If it's not heavy enough by itself you always can use that OCD.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Splawn Nitro/Quickrod.

Damn Jin, I haven't seen you around here in forever!
Do you need the cleans in a live situation, i.e. channel switching to a lovely clean, or is it purely for the studio?

If you only want cleans for the studio maybe check out a VHT Deliverance 60 heads, they're about 1500 new but only a single channel. If you're looking for an idea of what they sound like, look up August Burns Red or Unearth. Really tight tone.

You might also look into Krank heads, although Erock knows more about that than anyone else on here.

You might also find Netmusician's Amp Clips useful, it's a website where people can upload clips of their amp, good to get an idea of what they sound like.

But as eveyone has already stated, you can't go wrong with a Mark IV!

Hope some of that helps!
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Look into the 6505+ combo. Pretty much all you'll ever need. I'd say invest in a noise gate as well. Oh and don't play active's through it... it sounds thin and noisy.
Quote by maggot2011
Look into the 6505+ combo. Pretty much all you'll ever need. I'd say invest in a noise gate as well. Oh and don't play active's through it... it sounds thin and noisy.

I did not think the combo was as good as the head. It sounded err "different" not as gainy and the cleans sorta sucked...
that's an awkward price range to be honest... most of the really nice stuff is slightly higher, and most of the stuff lower you'd be compromising on either the high gain tones, or the cleans (e.g. 5150)...

nice to see you around jin
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im gonna have to sh!t on the mark iv suggestions, did anyone read what Jin actually wants?? Its not a mark iv, I guarantee you that. In my opinion, yeah, an ENGL fireball and the best used cab you can find will make you smile, a lot! You can pick up a good cab for not much money, and (from my personal experience), its much more important to have a good head, you can take your head to gigs that will usually have their own cabs there, its always useful to have a good head to rely on. Dont even get me started on this "its too loud" business, heads built for high gain have large wattages so that the power tubes DONT distort when you get pretty loud, so you can maintain clarity and not get flubby. Ive gigged pubs with my Bogner Uberschall and, admittedly with a good tubescreamer, never had issues like, cant turn it up enough to open it up properly, all that stuff. Too many people on here listen to people without experience, these myths get started and just never die!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by mh400nt
Dont even get me started on this "its too loud" business, heads built for high gain have large wattages so that the power tubes DONT distort when you get pretty loud, so you can maintain clarity and not get flubby.

+1 trillion

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I did not think the combo was as good as the head. It sounded err "different" not as gainy and the cleans sorta sucked...

That's true probably because the head has more headroom (maybe not that'd be my guess though) so the cleans stay cleaner longer.
The Jin moving into metal, nice.

Is $1500 the top end of your budget for a head and cab? Like Dave said, it's an awkward pricerange. Most of the best metal amps in that pricerange are going to take up that whole budget just for the head. The genre's you're talking about, you need the mean lowend chug, and usually the drummers hit heavy with the double bass. I would consider what you can get for a head and cab. You want at least a 2x12 imo, and most 2x12 combos are really heavy. Head and a closed back cab makes sense for transport and sound. The best sounding heads for those genres usually have a big power rating, and like mentioned, that's so you aren't getting powertube breakup. They also seem to have more lowend girth and punch than the lower wattage transformers.

I disagree with the Mark IV not cutting it for those genres, it can get plenty heavy with a boost in front. Check out the clips on netmusicians.org, and you can hear for yourself. It's not aimed directly at those genres, but it can certainly pull it off. That said, it might be overkill for what you are looking to do with it. It's also a head you need to spend some time with to tweak correctly. I'm sure the people dissing it haven't owned or spent a significant amount of time with one.

You could snag a Mark IV for around 1200-1400, but that leaves you skimpy on the cab. The Mark IV combo is cool, but it's heavy as hell, and doesn't really bring the metal like having a cab with it. The open back with EV speaker is big sounding and loud, but it's more centered around jack of all trades than metal.

Mark III head with the GEQ would be another to consider, great thrash head, but it's going to be preference whether you like it for the more modern tones. The Single Rectifier solo head could be had for under 1k, or you could get lucky and score a dual rec for around $1000-1100, and then still get a decent cab. I don't really dig the recto tones, but that's personal preference. Plenty of metal bands use them.

Krank was mentioned, and I really like them for the genres you're talking about, but they are hit or miss with people, some love, some hate. The Rev and Stein heads can be had used for around/under 1k, and they bring the br00talz. Something you would need to try out first however.

Fireball or 5150 and variants you can get under 1k, and then you would have a nice budget for a cab. Like mentioned though, 5150 doesn't have great cleans, and the Fireball doesn't really do the mid gain stuff well at all. You have your Orange for those tones anyway though, and the 5150 heads are used by a ton of metal bands.

In my personal opinion, the cab is very important. It can make or break a head. It's not going to make a crappy head sound good, but it can definitely make a good head sound crappy. It makes a big difference how the head projects the lowend for that chug, and what parts it brings out in the mids and highs.

Marshall 1960 cabs are on a lot of stages, and work pretty well with most of the heads mentioned. They can be had under $400 used. Mesa 2x12 Recto cabs can be had around that price used too. For new, you could go Avatar or Lopoline, a lot of people seem to like them. Vader make some great cabs for those genres, just a little out of your pricerange new depending what you spend on a head, and a little hard to find used. 2x12 will be better priced, and some guys really like them for metal. Personally, nothing sounds like a 4x12 to me however. Most of the big name metal bands even record with 4x12 in the studio, so it's not just for volume or projection. If you can stretch your cab budget a little, Splawn make some killer cabs for the price. Nothing really touches them for the price new in the states. If you can find them used, they are serious bargains.

If you're feeling lucky, Bugera sound pretty good for the price. They aren't high quality obviously, so you're taking your chances if it's being used on gigs. The failure rate on them is pretty high at this point, but they do sound good for metal if you can get a good working one. Just make sure you get an extended warranty, that's one amp I wouldn't touch used without a warranty.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i'd go with a Krank Revolution, a Mesa triple rec, a Peavey 6505 or 6505+, or possibly a Marshall jvm, though i'm not really sold on the jvm's.

Mesa's prolly best bet.
Erock knows all

I would say try out a rectoverb it has more low end then the regular rectifier.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Erock knows all
I would say try out a rectoverb it has more low end then the regular rectifier.

lol, far from knowing all, but I've tried a lot of amps for those genres. Rectoverb and tremoverb are 2 I forgot though like you mentioned, and I'm sure there are others I'm missing. If the budget could be expanded a little, it opens up a lot more possibilities in the used market too.

ooh, almost forgot about the VHT Deliverance 60, some people don't like the dry voicing, and it's more saturation than gain, but I've heard them pull off some really heavy tones.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Page 1 of 2