I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but ...
What's so special about valve/tube amps?
What do the valves/tubes do?
Any good?
^ Doesn't clip so harshly, sounds more ''natural'', more responsive, tube break-up
sound.

If you want to know what they do, the pre-amp tubes add most of the distortion and the power-amp tubes amplify the signal
FAQ, Wikipedia (tube sound or something) and the search bar.

Edit: I understand that I could just as well answer the question or just ignore it and save energy, but it pisses me off when there are so many ways to attain that information and apparently he disregarded all of them. Yes, I understand, you don't always think of those (especially if you're new to forums or whatever), but goddammit, at least he could go and learn to find information himself.

/rant
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Thanks Horlicks.
Fama i have already searched tube/valve amps on wikipedia and it didnt really give me the answer i was looking for.
Quote by leather.rebel
Thanks Horlicks.
Fama i have already searched tube/valve amps on wikipedia and it didnt really give me the answer i was looking for.

Meh, then I apologise to some extent. But check this out.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I don't understand why people go all "Google is your friend" when someone asks a question here, I mean it makes more sense to ask people who actually play guitar than routing through a list of pages that may or may not be relevant/accurate.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by PendulousThread
I don't understand why people go all "Google is your friend" when someone asks a question here, I mean it makes more sense to ask people who actually play guitar than routing through a list of pages that may or may not be relevant/accurate.

true but the Search Button is still your friend :P
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by PendulousThread

A lot of guitarists are full of sh't on the matter, thats why. Of course there are those actually only saying what they've personally experienced and dont claim everything silly from "vintage" resistors to tube amps being "the only real choice".
Quote by Walternativo
true but the Search Button is still your friend :P

Yes that is true.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by 1337void
A lot of guitarists are full of sh't on the matter, thats why. Of course there are those actually only saying what they've personally experienced and dont claim everything silly from "vintage" resistors to tube amps being "the only real choice".

alot of transistor amps really suck but there are some awesome ones. Its just a higher percentage of tube amps sound good than the percentage of transistor ones out there.

I dont mind playing the Line 6 HD147 tho. Awesome solid state head.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Would the best SS/transistor amps be Randall's and possibley the Roland series? I can't really think of a "good" SS amp...?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Would the best SS/transistor amps be Randall's and possibley the Roland series? I can't really think of a "good" SS amp...?

Roland Jazz Chorus
Line 6 Flextone
Various Randalls (haven't actually tried any but I've heard good things)
Fender 85

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at May 3, 2008,
^I borrowed a Flextone 3, and if it's a good one, then I doubt there is such a a thing as a good soundin SS amp, to my ears.
^ My mistake.. I was thinking of the Vetta. And the HD147 belongs on the list too.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Read the damn stickies.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'm going to try to give you an answer to the question before it gets closed because of everyone flaming (maybe the search button or tube amp sticky didnt answer his question exactly, give him a break), but it wont be that detailed.

Tube amps sound alot more natural than SS amps. The Distortion in this is basically made from over-driving the amp, which gives it alot more of a warmer, natural sounding distortion, rather than alot of the time a brittle and weak, overly gainy sound from a SS amp. Tube amps are also way louder than SS amps, but the reason is technical and you can read it in the tube amp sticky if you want to know the physics behind it. 50 watts should be enough for anything you'd ever need. Pushing a tube amp is the way to get the best sound out of it though, which is the opposite from a SS. The louder you go tube, the better the sound gets, and the opposite for SS most of the time.

Tube amps are overall usually a better choice, but they have thier flaws. They tend to be not as reliable as SS amps (not in physical durablility), blown fuses and tubes and things like that are something you always have to prepared for, cause they'll happen and you wont want it happen during a show. Another thing with tube amps is that you have to crank them up to get over-drive out of them, and that means that it'll be LOUD. Unless you buy a master volume amp, which will let you play will all it's gain capability at lower volumes It'll still sound better cranked up though.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant