Hey there

I've recently bought myself a 2nd hand AXS32 as my first ever guitar (yes, I'm completely new to playing guitar, had never held one in my hands before that) but I've yet to buy (and decide on) an amp. I was hoping some of you had experience with this guitar, or a very similar one, and could give me a hand picking one.

My nephew who advises me on all sorts of guitar related things is a pretty big fan of older equipment, and to be honest I don't really like the idea of all those digital gadgets myself.

As to give you an idea of the music I'll be playing... here are some bands: The Mars Volta, At The Drive-In, Eagles of Death Metal, Queens of the Stone Age, The Hives, Wolfmother, Death Cab For Cutie, Interpol, Elbow, Afghan Whigs, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Tool, ...

If you reckon I should get a pedal with it, let me know. Concrete experiences would be great, and sound samples would be even better !
How much do you have to spend, look at Vox Valvetronix and Roland Cubes for cheap
Might be able to push out up to 200-250€. I'll be looking to get a 2nd hand one though, hoping to get a good quality amp for cheap somewhere

I'm not in THAT much of a hurry as I can't really play yet anyway
i have a vox, and im not glad at all with it

i mean.. its OK for lead but rhythm just sucks in it lol
the lower notes sound all merged or something. but its ok for lead.
but i think u should rather try and get a small marshall.. quality guaranteed

roland are pretty nice too tho. chunky
Quote by RCalisto
i have a vox, and im not glad at all with it

i mean.. its OK for lead but rhythm just sucks in it lol
the lower notes sound all merged or something. but its ok for lead.
but i think u should rather try and get a small marshall.. quality guaranteed

roland are pretty nice too tho. chunky

DON'T get a small Marshall. What are your settings at?
Last edited by Horlicks at May 3, 2008,
From what I can see those Vox amps are pretty "digital"? Much like line6 etc

or am I mistaken here

In the shop they told me line6 spider amps were good for a beginner to find out what sound you really want to go for, but my nephew told me I'd be better off buying a good, older amp 2nd hand because the electronics don't age like the new ones do, therefor I could sell it on and get another after a while if I want another kind of sound from it... if that makes sense
^ Spider III's are terrible, the VOX's not so much. If you want a valve amp check out the Laney VC15 if you can afford it, and use a fuzz pedal if you need it. I still recommend the Vox though.
someone I know is selling his Peavey Blazer 158 for 50€... considering I'm pretty much broke for at least another 2-3 months and have not yet decided on an amp, should I buy this one? Remember I'm a complete guitar newbie, can hardly play anything... but I kinda want an amp just to get a slightly better sound than just accoustic out of it