Hey all,

Just played a club yesterday in NY and I used a 57 to mic my Fender Deluxe amp. It wasent as good as I thought it would be but, Ive seen many bands just toss there mic over the cab of there stack and than put the head on top. Is there some type of clip or holder than can do this instead of just an ordinary boom stand. All hell breaks loose when we play usually so I usually trip over the boom stand. :P
don't do it. it's pretty bad practice.

what do speakers do? push air.

it knocks the mic about, it's not that noticable, but you can still here little clicky noises and it gets pretty annoying.
You can hang it down in front of the speaker but it won't sound good.

Can't you just put the stand sideways over the other side of the amp to where you stand?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i think with the 57, it's got that flat front, and it does better to point the mic at the speaker, not the floor. which is why u didnt get the sound you expected.

use a boom with an arm. set up the boom to the side of, not in front of the amp and wrap around. or get a flat side surfaced mic of some sort.

^hey dude stop stealing my threads.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
plus the 57 is a cardiod mic, so the sound pickup pattern is concentrated towards the front, there's a bit on the sides, and a tiny amount behind, but you're not picking up the sweet spot.
I suppose you could buy one of the clip-on mic stands used for drums and do some tinkering with it to get it to clip onto your amp somehow.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I suppose you could buy one of the clip-on mic stands used for drums and do some tinkering with it to get it to clip onto your amp somehow.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audix-DCLAMP-Percussion-Mount-Mic-Clip?sku=425140

??
Or, put the stand BEHIND the amp and angle the boom down over the top of the amp.

Or...get one of these

http://www.sound-expressions.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MuGadgets&Product_Code=AC191&Category_Code=Sound
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Speakers push air as much from the back as they do from the front. On an open cab or combo you might be able to get good mic pickup from either side of the speaker.

If you want to give this a shot, get a small desktop mic stand. This is usually a weighted base plate around 6 or 8 inches in diameter, with a short (4 to 6 inch) threaded pipe coming up from the center. Put it inside the back of the cab. If it's too short to reach the speaker, then get a short gooseneck for it. It would be a good idea to use a clip-style mic holder, rather than the "C" style holder provided with the mic, and wrap the mic with a cloth to help isolate it from the vibrations coming through the stand from the cab floor.

This is also a great technique for outdoor gigs, since it keeps the wind off of the mic.