Using some very thin picks (0.6mm) and a very thick pick (2mm) i did a poor mans action/truss rod test... i achieved these results...:

while not touching the fret board, the thin pick (a 0.80) was very lightly held in the first fret between the string and the fret.

While not touching the fret board, the thick pick held on between the string and the fret on all of the frets, becoming less and less firmly held towards the end of the fretboard (frets 22-24). (the action becomes slightly higher from the start to the end of the fretboard)

While holding the first fret and the 24th fret, the 0.6 pick was held between the string and the fret on the 12th fret and all frets near the middle.

Should i change the action, the truss rod, or anything like that?

Thankyou all in advance
Last edited by Epic_chef at May 3, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
Is anything wrong with your guitar, fret buzz, dead notes etc. If not, then no

its really hard for me to play fast without gain.... with lots of gain the notes play better, and without it... the notes break apart easier and need equal force to sound proper...

also, the 2mm distance at the higher frets worries me... tbh
Quote by Horlicks
lower your action and practice more

any lower and it'll buzz... so 0.8 mm on the first fret, 1.8mm on the 24th fret, and 0.5 when first and last fret are held down is too high?
Your string height seems fine. If everything is functioning correctly on the guitar, the issue is with your playing rather than the instrument. High action does not make it impossible (or even more difficult - unless you just aren't used to it, of course - despite what many will argue) to play fast, it only makes playing a little different. Some guitars cannot be setup reasonably to have super super low action. I'd say just keep practicing on it.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at May 3, 2008,
If it's not fretting out ((buzzing)) then no. Basically, if the guitar used to sound good and over time it begins to buzz then the truss probably needs adjustment. Many people think if the action is too high for them that adjusting the truss is going to fix things but that can make it sound worse. If it is buzzing then adjusting the truss will help, but it's not as easy as people think and if it is buzzing in different parts of the neck it can get tricky. It's kind of like adjusting spokes on a wheel and if you've ever tried to do that then you know what I mean. You have to give it a turn and then check the specks and then give it another turn and so on. The guitar store usually has somebody who leaves a business card and will come in once a week and adjust your guitar for $10-15 and they've done lots of them. I wouldn't want to learn how on my guitar. High action is generally associated with a bluesier hammer on/pull off type of sound with Strat guitars and low action is generally associated with fast picking paul gilbert type of stuff with metal/ibenez guitars.

They used to claim Malmsteen filed down his frets and set his strings really low to be so fast back in the day, but. . . who knows.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at May 3, 2008,
Quote by Jammy Pige
If it's not fretting out ((buzzing)) then no. Basically, if the guitar used to sound good and over time it begins to buzz then the truss probably needs adjustment. Many people think if the action is too high for them that adjusting the truss is going to fix things but that can make it sound worse. If it is buzzing then adjusting the truss will help, but it's not as easy as people think and if it is buzzing in different parts of the neck it can get tricky. It's kind of like adjusting spokes on a wheel and if you've ever tried to do that then you know what I mean. You have to give it a turn and then check the specks and then give it another turn and so on. The guitar store usually has somebody who leaves a business card and will come in once a week and adjust your guitar for $10-15 and they've done lots of them. I wouldn't want to learn how on my guitar. High action is generally associated with a bluesier hammer on/pull off type of sound with Strat guitars and low action is generally associated with fast picking paul gilbert type of stuff with metal/ibenez guitars.

They used to claim Malmsteen filed down his frets and set his strings really low to be so fast back in the day, but. . . who knows.

back when my guitar got set up (sigh) to make the action low, the fret buzz was primary around the 7th fret, around the middle of the guitar.... which has made me think it is the slightest bit backbowed.... hence the truss rod. To correct the fret buzz i raised the action.
you can use a little more bend.

some guitars can handle that straight of a neck, but if urs cant and you dont want to raise the action at the bridge, you can turn 1/8" Counter clockwise.

dont force the turn, then leave it, for the night in tune, and remeasure in the morning.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Epic_chef
back when my guitar got set up (sigh) to make the action low, the fret buzz was primary around the 7th fret, around the middle of the guitar.... which has made me think it is the slightest bit backbowed.... hence the truss rod. To correct the fret buzz i raised the action.

Ya I think if you really prefer playing with low action and it has a buzz like that you should go ahead and take it to the shop and have them adjust it so you can lower it. I don't know if it's like that everywhere, but Guitar Center usually has a guy that will come in and do it. I would not do it my self.

What GC Shred Off said is right though. . . it's mostly all about getting used to it and then there might be the slighted bit of difference in speed. Really fast guitar players might really tell the difference, I don't know.

I personally like high action because I realized a long time ago that I'm never going to be that fast and I really like that bluesy sound anyway and with high action you just have more of that whereas low action is a little bit better for alternate picking over and under. There's nothing worse than a guitar that frets out on a common fret like the 7th, that would really bother me. I have an acoustic that buzzes on the 13th only and I've never fixed it because I never use that fret on it anyway.
~JP~
http://www.rei.com/product/478028 fix the problem not avoid it... you have week fingers.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.