My bro got a peavey bandit 112, and it makes noise even when thers NOT any guitar plugged into it. Should it be like that? Can it be fixed or made sounding lower or anything?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Turn down the gain. If that doesn't work, there's something wrong.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
when the volume is put on 5 the noise is almost as loud as when a guitar is played at volume 1 , its pretty much. And when i put gain on 0 the noise is still there. Anyone know what it is that can be wrong with it?
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Last edited by Jaekae at May 3, 2008,
Stick a patch cable in the effects loop "Send" and "Return" jacks. If the noise goes away, then one of the jacks has a dirty switch contact. I've seen this happen on two Bandits.
Do you get a lot of scratchy sound when you rotate the patch cord plugs in the sockets? If so, then those jacks are definitely dirty.

You can clean the leaf contacts (the contacts that touch the plug) with any plastic-safe contact cleaner. Unplug the amp and pull the chassis, and spray the contact cleaner directly into the top the jacks (they're soldered to the PC board).

Cleaning the switch contacts is a little trickier, since contact cleaner won't penetrate into the contact surface very well while the switch is closed. Look carefully down at the top of the jack while the chassis is out, and watch what happens when you insert a plug into it. You'll see some small metal tabs with dimples in them lift up when you insert the plug, and then fall back down when you remove the plug. These are the switch contacts. Push a plug into the jack and then insert a small strip of very fine emery cloth or sandpaper between the switch contact and the plate underneath it. Now, remove the plug so that the switch contact lands on the emery cloth, and carefully pull the emery cloth out. This will scrape some of the dirt out of the contact. Repeat this a few times, then turn the emery cloth over and repeat to clean the other side of the contact.

If the jack is still noisy after cleaning, then you might need to replace it.
sorry but my idiot brother changed to clean channel when i didnt see, its only on the lead channel the noise is a big problem..thougt it was the cable that made it reduce but in fact it was because it was set to clean :P (didnt double check ) so that patch cable thing didnt work.