i just got a bad monkey, and im getting a loud hum thru my marshall g215rcd when its hooked up.
i know, i know, flame away at the mg, but the hum isnt there without the pedal...
is the pedal bad, or do i just not know how to put the settings properly? cant seem to get the hum to go away, no matter how i play with the settings...
this is the 1st pedal ive ever owned, so i really dont know what im doing...any pointers?
Have you tried both patches that you are using with the pedal? Like, using each of them directly from the guitar to the amp? One of them could be bad.
its got a battery in it, but i have it plugged into the wall with the adapter, and have tried all different combos of settings between the amp and pedal, still all with hum...
somesettings get less hum, but less distorted sound...is this natural?
it seems to sound best (less hum) with the amp set more for clean (g1-4, g2-6) and the pedal set for
level-4, low-6, high-8, and gain-7, but its not quite the crunch i like...
ideas for a better set-up?
Quote by the-patient
Have you tried both patches that you are using with the pedal? Like, using each of them directly from the guitar to the amp? One of them could be bad.

not totally sure what that means...you mean the cables?
both cables i have are new...one about a month old and works fine, the other just bought yesterday when the pedal arrived...
What kind of guitar do you have? If it's poorly shielded, it may create some hum (especially if it's got single coils). The hum will be much more apparent in higher gain situation.
i play an epi Les Paul Classic, with open buckers, whatever was stock on those.
like i said, the hum wasnt there before i plug in the monkey, (well, maybe slightly), but with the pedal it can get pretty bad...
pretty much what you would expect for an old mg, but the pedal gets pretty noisy...
the dist. does sound pretty nice, but the noise is there also, so i cant tell if the pedal's no good, or if its just not dialed in right, even tho ive tried all kinds of diff settings...hence the confusion...
found the problem, but dont understand it....
unplugged the adapter and ran it on battery power, no more hum....

why is that?
Its the 60Hz hum coming from the mains supply.
Is it pluged in next to alot of other thing, if so, try plugging the pedal in away from others plugs if possible, this will likley reduce the hum (it did for me).

If your using a cheap adaptor, it might be worth getting a better one.
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park